Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
You know, for all those buying the S8+, the question is "why?" I am completely bemused why anyone would buy one with an average size battery (for the screen size) and that awful FPS, when the Note 8 is coming?

Why not wait for the Note 8 which will apparently be a beast? Why settle?

I wouldn't be shocked if the note 8 has the same fps. Then that will you do? Wait for the s9?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't be shocked if the note 8 has the same fps. Then that will you do? Wait for the s9?

I seriously doubt that will happen. The outcry of the fps will be LOUD and clear. Just like the outcry of no SD card on the S6, and Samsung quickly reversed that. There is no way Samsung are going to repeat this after they realise it's HUGELY unpopular. They would be absolutely stupid to do so.

Also, the fps on the S8 was a late decision and a compromise because the embedded scanner wasn't developed in time. Do you really think Samsung will put in a fingerprint scanner a second time that is a compromise?

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Only Samsung could take an almost perfect phone and screw it up with the FP scanner. I really wanted to buy this phone.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Lol, you guys make it sound like the finger print scanner is a separate attachment to the phone. It's really not that bad. Could it have been better placed, yes. I've been going to best buy every other day to acclimate myself with the fps and at this point, it's not an issue for me

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be 100% sure that the Note8 will have a FPR underneath the screen unless they were absolutely sure there were no issues. I read recently that Apple has decided or is leaning on scrapping the idea of the FPR under the screen for their next phone. It sounds like a lot of work still needs to be done to perfect this.

But Samsung may reposition it if they don't put it under the screen. Either way, it's not a deal breaker for me. I personally wish it was in the center since I hold my phone in my left hand but I have my cases for the phone already and I can see I will be fine reaching the reader. If the Iris scanner is faster than the Note7 then maybe I'll do that instead.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't be 100% sure that the Note8 will have a FPR underneath the screen unless they were absolutely sure there were no issues. I read recently that Apple has decided or is leaning on scrapping the idea of the FPR under the screen for their next phone. It sounds like a lot of work still needs to be done to perfect this.

That's reasonable what you say and I agree. What is not reasonable is attempting to rush this new feature onto a next model phone then having to cancel and compromise late in development the placement of the fingerprint scanner.

Samsung should make a decision NOW regarding the fingerprint reader. If it's nearly developed and all the bugs ironed out, then the Note 8 would be a great phone to feature it on. If it's still being worked out, then redesign the rear housing and put a conventional scanner in the middle, lower down like all other OEM's.

Samsung should not repeat this late compromise on such a critical phone as the Note 8, considering this is the successor to the failed Note 7. Every part of the Note 8 will be heavily critiqued because of the Note 7. Samsung cannot afford to have a badly placed fingerprint scanner.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Checked one out at Verizon the other day. Rear FPS isn't for me on any phone but, at least on the smaller S8, the placement is fine. Odd, but it'll work.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Checked one out at Verizon the other day. Rear FPS isn't for me on any phone but, at least on the smaller S8, the placement is fine. Odd, but it'll work.

Yeah, while everyone runs to the S8+ and then returns them a week later for the S8, we will have already made that decision lol

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.

When I realized it was flush with the body I cringed. It was hard to find and reach for it. It may not have been Samsung's choice. Maybe there was some patent issue or opposing hardware internally. I couldn't live with the S8. I wish the Galaxy line was for me, it'd make my choosing of devices easier. Now one thing I definitely would have done was buy the Note 5 instead when I upgraded to the G6. Unfortunately there's no water resistance and no expandable storage so that idea when right out the window. I love my G6. I'm glad that I've found something that can carry me over for the next couple of years.

I can't wait until my wife gets the S8 that way we can experience both worlds.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Since buying an Android smartwatch (Moto 350), I actually don't use the fingerprint sensor very much these days. My S7 is setup to recognize my Bluetooth connected smartwatch and car system as "trusted devices" and it keeps my phone unlocked. These days, the only time I actually use the FPS is when starting up my password manager app. So personally, I don't think having the FPS on the back of the device flush to one side of the camera would be a problem for me.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's worse than I thought. It's almost flush with the back of the device, exactly like the camera. There is no way to "feel" for it. Almost indistinguishable from the camera horrible job Samsung.

Ordered my S8 yesterday after playing with one for 10 minutes. Absolutely beautiful phone.

FPS location is a non issue on the regular S8 and it off reach for need on the plus. However, I didn't pass on the plus die to this, I passed on it because it simply felt too tall for me.

I probably won't use the FPS at all anyway since I use Smartlock with my Gear S3 like 75% of the time. The rest of the time using a pin or the FPS wouldn't be difficult.

Can't wait to get mine.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of which phones I've ever owned it is great practice to wipe the camera lens before EVERY photo. I always have and always will regardless of the damn placement of the FPS. This ensures clear shots almost every time. This is common sense... I think.

People will always have something to ***** about. Don't feed into the hype.

Anytime my girlfriend goes to take a photo I remind her to wipe her lens. She has an S7 Edge.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: FPS Placement... Final note.

Regardless of which phones I've ever owned it is great practice to wipe the camera lens before EVERY photo. I always have and always will regardless of the damn placement of the FPS. This ensures clear shots almost every time. This is common sense... I think.

Anytime my girlfriend goes to take a photo I remind her to wipe her lens. She has an S7 Edge.

Very well said. This has been blown way out of proportion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I can say I definitely don't wipe it before every photo. I do wipe my phone down on occasion but I don't touch it enough to ensure a wipe every time before a photo.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I don't wipe my lenses at all... But I should. They're sucsceptible to dust and dirt, just like our screens.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

This shouldn't be an issue, though. YOU may be fine with the placement of the FPS next to the camera, but others aren't fine with it. I think it's terrible and a terrible fix for that is software that says the camera lens is dirty. That's unacceptable, IMO. I have no idea how the FPS sensor placement passed focus groups, but it's in a very terrible place. It should be underneath the camera.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

This shouldn't be an issue, though. YOU may be fine with the placement of the FPS next to the camera, but others aren't fine with it. I think it's terrible and a terrible fix for that is software that says the camera lens is dirty. That's unacceptable, IMO. I have no idea how the FPS sensor placement passed focus groups, but it's in a very terrible place. It should be underneath the camera.
There were no focus groups. They had no other choice on where to put it. They could redesign the phone that late in the process.