04-07-2017 02:08 AM
115 ... 345
tools
    I don't have any skin in the game (I'm using a Pixel right now, have a ProductRED iPhone 7, and have the S8 on preorder), but the point is that we DO use these displays and there are other variables. So from that perspective, DisplayMate making the assertion that the S8 is the best -mobile- display based on their testing isn't wrong. If you take all those other factors out of the equation then yes, the iPhone is more color accurate and thus objectively the better display.

It's like saying a phone has the best camera because it takes the best still images, but isn't very good at video and dismissing another phone that is only a fraction worse on still images but far better on video.
    You loving that red iPhone? I think that thing looks awesome.
    04-06-2017 09:53 AM
    You loving that red iPhone? I think that thing looks awesome.
    It was almost enough to stop me from buying the S8. I get compliments on that thing all the time, but it's the same with the blue Pixel I've got with me today. Having all 3 is going to be fun this year.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-06-2017 09:56 AM
    It was almost enough to stop me from buying the S8. I get compliments on that thing all the time, but it's the same with the blue Pixel I've got with me today. Having all 3 is going to be fun this year.
    I have the blue XL, loving it. I haven't pulled the trigger on S8 or G6 yet, not sure if I will. Not really into the glass back. If I were to buy something else right now it'd probably be red iPhone.
    04-06-2017 09:58 AM
    I have the blue XL, loving it. I haven't pulled the trigger on S8 or G6 yet, not sure if I will. Not really into the glass back. If I were to buy something else right now it'd probably be red iPhone.
    You can't go wrong with this phone. Just don't buy the ProductRED silicone case they offer---it's more orange than anything.
    Attached Thumbnails DisplayMate gives the S8 the best screen rating of any smartphone-21038.jpg  
    04-06-2017 10:00 AM
    I don't have any skin in the game (I'm using a Pixel right now, have a ProductRED iPhone 7, and have the S8 on preorder), but the point is that we DO use these displays and there are other variables. So from that perspective, DisplayMate making the assertion that the S8 is the best -mobile- display based on their testing isn't wrong. If you take all those other factors out of the equation then yes, the iPhone is more color accurate and thus objectively the better display.

It's like saying a phone has the best camera because it takes the best still images, but isn't very good at video and dismissing another phone that is only a fraction worse on still images but far better on video.
    I've used the Note 7 before. I don't think my other phones since then have topped that phone's display in terms of overall performance.

Some are more accurate while others seem more lively. But I loved how that phone would just eradicate the odds of sunlight....
    04-06-2017 10:03 AM
    I've used the Note 7 before. I don't think my other phones since then have topped that phone's display in terms of overall performance.

Some are more accurate while others seem more lively. But I loved how that phone would just eradicate the odds of sunlight....
    The Note 7 is the only reason I'm getting the S8. I was pissed about what happened last year--not because of being mad at Samsung, but having to go in a different direction when all I wanted to do was keep the Note. That phone was awesome. The display, the in-hand feel, it was quick, the camera was fantastic, battery life was good, etc.
    04-06-2017 10:09 AM
    You can't go wrong with this phone. Just don't buy the ProductRED silicone case they offer---it's more orange than anything.
    This is my spare case when I like red
    04-06-2017 10:12 AM
    DisplayMate gives the S8 the best screen rating of any smartphone
    04-06-2017 10:13 AM
    DisplayMate gives the S8 the best screen rating of any smartphone
    What? I thought we were talking red iphones and orange cases! Thought i had died and gone to iMore. 😁
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    04-06-2017 10:26 AM
    I'm just playing. I've come to accept that sometimes people agree to disagree. This is why I enjoy going back and forth. I love android but I have to admit that Apple does ALOT of things right !!! That's why they are worth as much as they are.
    04-06-2017 11:16 AM
    Aquila seems to be obsessed with the iPhones display accuracy, he could have written a thesis with the amount of comments he posted to defend his precious iPhone's 1080p display(congrats you have earned a master's of science on defending iPhone's display accuracy but that resolution is embarrassing). The S8 has a A+ because it is not lacking in any area of display technology (exceeds in all areas actually) and allows the user to customize the display and even its resolution to their preferred standards. I have never had the "wow" factor with a iPhone display but Samsung year by year has given me and many others the "wow" factor when seeing their displays in person.
    04-06-2017 09:58 PM
    Aquila seems to be obsessed with the iPhones display accuracy, he could have written a thesis with the amount of comments he posted to defend his precious iPhone's 1080p display
    He actually has a Google Pixel.

And it's not just resolution. Subpixel arrangement, power efficiency, maximum brightness, contrast, accuracy and other factors need to be taken into account. The S8 needed to be QHD to compensate for PenTile. The iPhone uses RGB, by comparison.

DisplayMate did actually rate the iPhone as having the best LCD display on any smartphone. It's not the overall best but for an IPS LCD, it's great.
    04-06-2017 11:21 PM
    That red iPhone is insane.
    04-06-2017 11:34 PM
    I don't care what the figures say. My eyes tell me that Samsung has the most visually appealing/awesome screens, and yes, that's side by side looking at iPhones. Period!
    dario12v likes this.
    04-07-2017 12:08 AM
    and if he has a pixel he should not even be part of this thread.
    Uh, he is free to share his thoughts.

Nowhere was it stated that people who don't own a particular device are not allowed to participate in a subthread for said device
    04-07-2017 02:08 AM
115 ... 345