DisplayMate gives the S8 the best screen rating of any smartphone

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No surprise there lol

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/04/0...lay-crowns-it-as-the-best-smartphone-display/

Samsung has been improving the display quality on their smartphones every six months. DisplayMate, a brand that specializes in display calibration and optimization, recently conducted an in-depth testing of the Galaxy S8‘s display and came out pretty impressed. As per DisplayMate’s testing, the Galaxy S8 has the best smartphone display in the market right now.

The test has revealed that the Galaxy S8′s Super AMOLED Infinity Display with close to 3K resolution (2960 x 1440 pixels at 570 ppi) can reach a peak brightness of above 1,000 nits. It can accurately cover 113% of the DCI-P3 Color Gamut and 142% of sRGB / Rec.709 Gamuts, resulting in higher color accuracy even in the high ambient light. Moreover, the Galaxy S8 is the first smartphone to be certified by the UHD Alliance for Mobile HDR Premium, which means users can enjoy videos with higher dynamic range.

The Galaxy S8′s bezel-starved screen is 18% larger in screen size compared to the Galaxy S7′s screen, offering an immersive experience while using the device. Similar to the Galaxy Note 7, the Galaxy S8 has dual ambient light sensors for better control over automatic screen brightness. DisplayMate’s tests suggest that the Galaxy S8 supports four screen modes, three color gamuts, and an option to adjust the white point. Each of these screen modes is said to offer higher absolute color accuracy compared to the S7.

There seems to be an improvement in viewing angles compared to the S7′s display. The Video Enhancer mode on the smartphone provides HDR-like expanded dynamic range while watching photos and videos that don’t have HDR coding. Moreover, Samsung seems to have employed a dedicated IC in the Galaxy S8 and S8+ for the Always On Display mode which results in even lower power consumption. However, when you look at the power consumption numbers, there doesn’t seem to be an improvement compared to the S7, but Ray Soneria, President of DisplayMate Technologies said this:

“Increasing the Color Gamut of a display requires more saturated primaries, which are inherently less efficient, so it takes more power to produce the same brightness as a display with a smaller Color Gamut. The reason why all displays and all display technologies struggle to increase their Color Gamut is due to this particular issue.

Since the display power on the Galaxy S8 did not increase compared to the Galaxy S7, which has a smaller Color Gamut, that means the optical efficiency of the new OLED materials in the Galaxy S8 were improved, with a total improvement of around 10 percent.

Producing the much more saturated Red used in the Galaxy S8 is particularly challenging, which is why I mention the new “Deep Red” OLED in the article. Note that all displays are struggling to reach 100% DCI-P3, but the Galaxy S8 has 113% DCI-P3, which is impressive, and Samsung did it without any increase in display power. See the article Color Gamuts Figure”

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I read the original display-mate article. There's a lot of comparison to other OLED displays, but nothing comparing it to the iPhone 7+, which is the actual best display on the market - unless the S8 passed it, which we don't yet know.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I read the original display-mate article. There's a lot of comparison to other OLED displays, but nothing comparing it to the iPhone 7+, which is the actual best display on the market - unless the S8 passed it, which we don't yet know.

Hmmm I thought DisplayMate gave the S7 (or S7 Edge) the best smartphone display prior tom the S8

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has had the best displays in the game for awhile now. They could have left everything alone from last year and just made it more power efficient and I'd still be happy.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

What are you, high?
The iPhone 7 + has never had the best screen in the market
Not even close
It has an Lcd screen, it's not as good as an Oled screen...
What display mate said about the iPhone display was that it had the best LCD display on the market

They also said the galaxy note 7
Had the best screen on the market period.

Lcd is inferior to Oled

Why do you think Apple is went to Samsung to make their screens for the iPhone 8 or X or whatever it's going to be called

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What are you, high?
Not even close
What display mate said about the iPhone display was that it had the best LCD display on the market

Lcd is inferior to Oled

Why do you think Apple is went to Samsung to make their screens for the iPhone 8 or X or whatever it's going to be called

Read the link. The Apple iPhone 7/7+ is the most accurate display on the market.

Ilya Ivanov

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Display mate gave iPhone the best LCD on the market, not overall display

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What are you, high?
Not even close

Lcd is inferior to Oled

The rumor is they want a curved display. AMOLED is far more suited for that and Samsung has a mature process to do it. Even without curved, maybe it's a supply issue with their quality standards. Maybe they want to do VR and AMOLED has inherent advantages there. Maybe it's a power saving measure.

I think you should look into what calibration is. It'll help set you straight.

Here's where I stand. I bet the S8 will be every bit as good as the iPhone with regards to calibration. They'll be within a few decimals of each on the color checker.

But until the S8 gets O the iPhone will have an advantage in that color management is built-in to the OS for apps to take advantage of with no additional work required. Right now, for HDR to work on the S8, the app developer needs to leverage Samsung specific API's.

But from a pure color accuracy/gamut standpoint the S8 has caught up with the iPhone 7. You could say they surpassed it because of the extra reach beyond DCI-P3, but that is literally wasted since anything beyond 100% isn't useful.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Read the link. The Apple iPhone 7/7+ is the most accurate display on the market.

From your article
It's does say the most accurate
It's does not say the best
According to display mate
The best screen on the market in 2016 was the note 7

Attachments

• 13163.jpg
    13163.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 121

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Display mate gave iPhone the best LCD on the market, not overall display

Ok, if you guys aren't willing to read the link, at least click on it and look at the charts.

Grayscale accuracy
#1 iPhone 7+
#2 iPhone 7
#3 Note 7
#4 iPhone 6s
#5 S7 Edge

Saturation Accuracy
#1 iPhone 7
#2 iPhone 7+
#3 Note 7
#4 iPhone 6
#5 iPhone SE
#6 S7 Edge

DCI-P3 Accuracy
#1 iPhone 7
#2 iPhone 7+
#3 S7*

*In the DCI-P3 test the S7 was over double the distance of the iPhones from "perfect".

GretagMacbeth ColorChecker Accuracy
#1 iPhone 7+
#2 iPhone 7
#3 iPhone SE
#4 Note 7
#5 S7

I excluded tablets from the list.

Display - The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Review: Iterating on a Flagship

You guys can verify the data yourselves. The iPhone 7/7+ are currently the most accurate displays out there until the S8/S8+ are measured and then, only if the S8/S8+ are more accurate.

Once that happens, we can revisit - but that really won't be a thing that matters until the S8/S8+ get Android O, if they are going to get it, because Android cannot properly utilize the wider color gamut (and iOS can) until Android O is released because Android O is where that functionality lives (OS level color management).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
From your article
It's does say the most accurate
It's does not say the best
According to display mate
The best screen on the market in 2016 was the note 7

Most accurate = best unless there is something wildly wrong with the display tech used. In this case, there isn't. DisplayMate is simply incorrect here.

The rest of what you're quoting there goes on to say, "which benefit from perfect blacks. However, I think AMOLED's color shifting off angle puts it at a disadvantage, and Samsung is in the unfortunate situation of having to deal with Android not having any form of color management, which means that the wide color modes that their AMOLED displays have available are not truly useful."

So this is why Samsung is behind the curve until they're the most accurate AND running Android O. The S7, S7 Edge and Note 7 are neither. We don't yet know if the S8/S8+ passed the iPhone 7/7+, but if it does, then we're still waiting on a firmware update to enable the functionality.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The rumor is they want a curved display. AMOLED is far more suited for that and Samsung has a mature process to do it. Even without curved, maybe it's a supply issue with their quality standards. Maybe they want to do VR and AMOLED has inherent advantages there. Maybe it's a power saving measure.

I think you should look into what calibration is. It'll help set you straight.

Here's where I stand. I bet the S8 will be every bit as good as the iPhone with regards to calibration. They'll be within a few decimals of each on the color checker.

But until the S8 gets O the iPhone will have an advantage in that color management is built-in to the OS for apps to take advantage of with no additional work required. Right now, for HDR to work on the S8, the app developer needs to leverage Samsung specific API's.

But from a pure color accuracy/gamut standpoint the S8 has caught up with the iPhone 7. You could say they surpassed it because of the extra reach beyond DCI-P3, but that is literally wasted since anything beyond 100% isn't useful.

I pretty sure the S8's display will surpass the iPhone

DisplayMate analysis: Samsung Galaxy S8 earns first ever A+ grade as best performing smartphone display | ZDNet

"The Galaxy S8 is the first in a new generation of OLED Smartphones that have a Full Screen Display design. It is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever lab tested, earning DisplayMate's highest ever A+ grade."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

DisplayMate analysis: Samsung Galaxy S8 earns first ever A+ grade as best performing smartphone display | ZDNet

"The Galaxy S8 is the first in a new generation of OLED Smartphones that have a Full Screen Display design. It is the most innovative and high performance Smartphone display that we have ever lab tested, earning DisplayMate's highest ever A+ grade."

That's quoting the same shootout that doesn't address the iPhone's accuracy.

It does give us this information:

DisplayMate Reference Colors and Galaxy S8 Absolute Color Accuracy Plots

So we know that they measured the display's color accuracy, but they are not disclosing the results nor comparing it to the previous best (or current best, depending on the results). Without actually having those details, it isn't possible to state which is actually better - so we're waiting on results to see if the iPhone 7/7+ has been dethroned. And even then, it won't matter until Android O, which means we're at least 9 months away from the iPhone 7/7+ being dethroned in any practical sense, even if they are in the capabilities of the display - which can't be said to have happened yet, because we don't have that information available to us. You can't reasonably say that you're pretty sure one way or the other, because there's no evidence with which to gauge that response.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

We shall see, but the margins to beat it in color accuracy are very small since the iPhone is VERY good (as close to perfect as any phone has ever been).

When talking displays I'm not really concerned with "edge-to-edge" or other design factors. I'm interested in accurate colors and adequate brightness.

When talking about the device as a whole, sure, the S8 is a better looking device (IMO) and the display certainly helps with that, but then you also have to factor in the OS. Right now, the iPhone has the better OS for better-than-sRGB color gamuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith