Anyone Pre-Order the DeX station too?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Kinda excited about trying out the DeX station. I can work remotely using a VDI through Citrix and having to just dock my phone to launch my VDI and interacting with my device at the same time sounds very promising.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I love the idea but I don't know where I would use it. I don't think I would ditch a standard Windows desktop completely.

I thought about getting a touchscreen monitor and putting it in the kitchen, for entertainment while cleaning and recipes while cooking, but I think my wife would cut me if I tie up counter space for "a toy". Hey maybe you could plug it in to those new Samsung fridges with a giant screen on the door.

Then I thought about plugging it into the TV, since we do screencasting to our Roku to share photos etc with family/friends who come over but it doesn't always work, so having a DeX might solve that problem. Already have a nice bluetooth keyboard/trackpad thing from my HTPC days.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I would worry about how much stress running all that would do to a non-replaceable battery. I already have better laptops anyway.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I would worry about how much stress running all that would do to a non-replaceable battery. I already have better laptops anyway.

This is true and only time will tell.

Me personally I don't use a PC or laptop as much when I get home. So having the ability to pop my phone into a dock and launch a VDI seems a lot more convenient then powering on my laptop to get to my VDI.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I preordered from Samsung when I ordered my S8. Says it ships late April. I'm getting more as a backup, in case I need to do some light work at home and I don't want to bring my laptop home with me from the office.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I preordered from Samsung when I ordered my S8. Says it ships late April. I'm getting more as a backup, in case I need to do some light work at home and I don't want to bring my laptop home with me from the office.

Is this really going to be good enough that you can leave a full spec laptop at work and just use this at home? I only ask because I can't really find a lot of information about this even on Samsung's website. Also do you know if it will work with Apple laptops?

Thanks

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Is this really going to be good enough that you can leave a full spec laptop at work and just use this at home? I only ask because I can't really find a lot of information about this even on Samsung's website. Also do you know if it will work with Apple laptops?

Thanks
I wouldn't say it'll replace a laptop but if you have access to a virtual Windows desktop this is practically all you need.

It's not something you would use with another windows or apple computer so I'm not sure what compatibly you're looking for.

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

It REALLY depends on what a person uses a "full spec laptop" for. My wife and I both have Surface Pro computers (she has a 3, I have a 4) and I've been happily surprised at how well they perform as "full spec computers". My use is much heavier than hers. She primarily uses her computer for some MS Word reports, a spreadsheet every now and then, email, and web browsing. She seldom takes the computer outside the house. I'm about 90% sure that when I get a DeX to play with, and she see what it does, she'll be asking for an S8, S8 Plus, or Note 8, and we'll have a computer up for sale.

I do too many "other things" though (I'm in an IT professional), and suspect it won't be a good solution for me, but rather a novelty, something I'll occasionally use.

On the other side, depending on the clients, the fact that it runs the Citrix receiver and VMware shows promise. If those apps are done well, and especially if they take advantage of the larger screen and handle mouse/keyboard input well, the DaX could be a pretty serious device.

I too don't understand the Apple connectivity question. This isn't something runs Windows software or IOS software, so the "replacement" factor isn't a compatibility issue, it's more of a "will this replace the functionality you need" question.

If a person's use is pretty basic, and there is software for Android that matches what they use, it's a good replacement. If a person can properly set up cloud storage on both devices, it may well be a valuable shared use for those who have a need to continue to use a full blown computer.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
It REALLY depends on what a person uses a "full spec laptop" for. My wife and I both have Surface Pro computers (she has a 3, I have a 4) and I've been happily surprised at how well they perform as "full spec computers". My use is much heavier than hers. She primarily uses her computer for some MS Word reports, a spreadsheet every now and then, email, and web browsing. She seldom takes the computer outside the house. I'm about 90% sure that when I get a DeX to play with, and she see what it does, she'll be asking for an S8, S8 Plus, or Note 8, and we'll have a computer up for sale.

I do too many "other things" though (I'm in an IT professional), and suspect it won't be a good solution for me, but rather a novelty, something I'll occasionally use.

On the other side, depending on the clients, the fact that it runs the Citrix receiver and VMware shows promise. If those apps are done well, and especially if they take advantage of the larger screen and handle mouse/keyboard input well, the DaX could be a pretty serious device.

I too don't understand the Apple connectivity question. This isn't something runs Windows software or IOS software, so the "replacement" factor isn't a compatibility issue, it's more of a "will this replace the functionality you need" question.

If a person's use is pretty basic, and there is software for Android that matches what they use, it's a good replacement. If a person can properly set up cloud storage on both devices, it may well be a valuable shared use for those who have a need to continue to use a full blown computer.

Yeah. I have the SP3 and that is plenty for what I do. DeX or Continuum (Microsoft) are good ideas. I'm thinking it is more of a niche market. For now at least. Besides, I've read that the S8 and S8+ are Windows 10 friendly.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
P.S. It seems you have to be wired to the mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Microsoft's Continuum allows you to connect wireless to them via BT for the mouse and keyboard, and miracast to a monitor.

DeX doesn't seem to do that. For somebody like me who travels fairly regularly that wouldn't be much better than my current setup of an SP3 (with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter), Tab S2, and (currently) iPhone 6S+ ((soon) S8+).

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
P.S. It seems you have to be wired to the mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Microsoft's Continuum allows you to connect wireless to them via BT for the mouse and keyboard, and miracast to a monitor.

DeX doesn't seem to do that. For somebody like me who travels fairly regularly that wouldn't be much better than my current setup of an SP3 (with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter), Tab S2, and (currently) iPhone 6S+ ((soon) S8+).
The video I saw, they were using a BT keyboard and mouse. Those I'm sure connect are connected to the phone.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I'd imagine you could connect a wireless KB/mouse that have the little USB wireless dongles. Plug the dongle into DeX, turn on KB/mouse, good to go.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
The video I saw, they were using a BT keyboard and mouse. Those I'm sure connect are connected to the phone.

If that's the case, then all you would need would be a Miracast/Chromecast adapter, or a Miracast/Chromecast TV, along with the BT Kb and mouse and DeX should work. That's how Continuum works. You can use the dock with a wired Kb, mouse, and display OR no dock and use a wireless Kb, mouse and display.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that T-Mobile was giving this for free to their business customers who pre-order the S8/S8+ but I can't find any details on it? Anyone know?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Continuum when the HP Elite X3 was released and at the time the Citrix receiver app wouldn't work on the large display, it might now. But as soon as I undocked the phone, well, there wasn't much I could do with that either. Lol. It was a great device just a $hit show of app support.

Not sure how successful Continuum will be if the mobile devices themselves are seriously lacking in app support and will just deter people from even buying one.