Moving from Windows Phone to S8+

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I have been an avid WinMo user since way back in the early 2000s. I have a Microsoft 950xl now but I'm finally fed up with losing apps left and right. Finally taking a serious look at an S8+ and I am likely taking the plunge, at least until Windows gets their act together so at least the next few years!

Any advice from other WP users that have made the switch? My wife has used an S6 edge and upgraded a couple of months ago to an S7 edge and I've been totally impressed with both of them. Comments welcome!

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been an avid WinMo user since way back in the early 2000s. I have a Microsoft 950xl now but I'm finally fed up with losing apps left and right. Finally taking a serious look at an S8+ and I am likely taking the plunge, at least until Windows gets their act together so at least the next few years!

Any advice from other WP users that have made the switch? My wife has used an S6 edge and upgraded a couple of months ago to an S7 edge and I've been totally impressed with both of them. Comments welcome!
You can't go wrong. Go for it. It'll definitely be a huge upgrade coming from WP.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

I switched from WP (Lumia 950) to an S7, I got a Pixel but my S8+ is on preorder. It's a similar experience as far as customizing your phone. There'll be a huge performance and battery life improvement. Less app crashes, and better native app support (no more metrotube). In all it's a solid move, as many Lumia 950/XL users are reporting bootloop and random restarts. My dad's just bit the dirt a few weeks ago.

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
My son just replaced his 950xl with a new Pixel XL and should get it any day now. It will be very interesting to see how these two phones do for both of us. We feel very let down by Microsoft right now and it looks like Android has made some huge improvements since the last time I really looked at it.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I know how you feel. I had a 928 and an Icon and loved them both. Like you, I got tired of app availability and switched to HTC (HUGE mistake) then iPhone. I'm returning to the Samsung Android fold until Microsoft can get its act together when it comes to phones. It is kicking but with its Surface line, why can't it get its act together for phones?

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I did my calculations and my last 11 phones have all been Windows based phones going back years. I've used a lot of them and it's going to be weird using Android on my next one. My last Samsung was a Focus running Win Phone 7 and it was a fantastic phone so I've got high hopes for my S8+. Fortunately I've owned a Galaxy tablet for several years so I'm at least accustomed to the OS.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
My son just replaced his 950xl with a new Pixel XL and should get it any day now. It will be very interesting to see how these two phones do for both of us. We feel very let down by Microsoft right now and it looks like Android has made some huge improvements since the last time I really looked at it.

Microsoft is bad on hardware. They advertise and invest money on a device for a year or two, then they discontinue it or scale it back. Windows 10 Mobile and the Band are examples. The Surface is the exception.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

I have been using windows from Lumia 1020 days and really enjoyed it.. Thou I still have it... I always had 2 phones windows mobile and android... I was using Lumia 950 and s7 edge... Got done with both... Sold both phones and brought Axon 7 Limited Edition 128gb with 6gb ram and now waiting to but LG G6.. Android has really improved over the years... U can always install a windows mobile skin to make it look like windows mobile

UncleVan

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Been on microsoft for phone O/S since pocket pc days. Tried apple for a few months but slipped back for elite x3. I'm done. I pre-ordered the S8+. X3 going on ebay as soon as.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Windows Mobile can finally close up shop now that their last user is jumping ship now.

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I looked at it but it's only available in black and I want the orchid gray version. There is really no difference other than the MS techs will help set it up for you. Thanks but no thanks. Rather strip out all the unnecessary stuff before I add anything else.

emigrating

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
My apologies, this is gonna be long.

I returned my last 950XL for a refund a few months ago and went back to my old 1520. It's amazing how that felt like an upgrade, but it definitely did.

Anyway, the 1520 died recently and I also had _had_ it with the lack of apps, random crashes (though these were more prevalent on the 950's and 950XL's than the 1520) and general bleak outlook on the Windows front.

So I got a Huawei mid-level phone to tide me over until I could get a S8+ Duo. My experience so far (it's been close to a month now) is very mixed.

First and formost, the app situation on Android is great. All the apps are there. My bank apps which were recently pulled, the parking app, the DJI Go app which was never available on Windows in the first place. All there. Great. Also, the apps don't mysteriously crash and burn as they sometimes would on the 950's (and still do on my Surfaces, Xboxes, PCs etc - surely an underlying UWP issue) and they are noticeably faster, not only in operation but also in terms of startup time. It's a joy.

I prefer the Outlook app over the standard Android email app, but I much prefer Windows mail app over Outlook. The same goes for a few other apps, but overall, it's better to have apps that are somewhat sub par than not at all.

And this is where things take a turn for the worse.

I greatly miss the live tiles from Windows. In fact, I miss the entire UX, but mostly that is because I'm accustomed to how Windows works. Live tiles is something more though. Before making the switch to Android I could tell you, at any given time, what the exchange rate between USD and GBP was and if I didn't know it of the top of my head I'd know within seconds of looking at my phone, because there was a live tile telling me along with financial headlines and so on.

Sure, there are widgets on Android. It's a great concept, in fact some of the widgets are much better, or rather much more efficient, than live tiles will ever be (unless they ever do implement the actionable tiles they talked about back when). The problem with widgets though is this, they all look completely different. There it's no underlying design language for them. The UI becomes a garbled mess as soon as you add more than a couple to any given screen.

Also, what I've found is that the majority of apps don't have a widget at all, and those which do often doesn't provide the kind of information at a glance one would expect or need.

In general, I feel a lot less informed about the world around me now than I did while using Windows, and it's all because there are no live tiles showing me (pulling me in) the news headlines, financial markets, sports scores, upcoming events and so on.

Which brings me to notifications. What in the hell is going on with notifications on Android? I've tried a bunch of different launchers, lock screen replacements and whatnot by now, but apps will still randomly not give a notification at all or they will be delayed and appear like busses, all at once. Also, a bunch of apps seem to only give notifications while the all is running. Ring Video Doorbell for example, on Windows phone the app is much more basic than on Android, but notifications would always show up. On Android, notifications have only ever arrived while the all had been in memory. I've missed umpteen package deliveries (I also have smart locks so can let drivers in when I'm not here) since switching and I can no longer rely on being alerted once the postman passes (for some reason, his is the only vehicle which sets of the motion detection at the back door).

The same is true for so many other apps. Email notifications seem to randomly show up. Skype, which I've had a love/hate relationship with for years is even more useless for chat now than it was on Windows. The other day I got a bunch off notifications all at once and it turned out the were for messages sent some eighteen hours ago?!

Other times my phone will chime or ding or wake up for some reason, but not tell me why or show any sign of why in the notification centre or open apps.

And finally, well, for now at least. While some apps do allow you to "pin" shortcuts to the home screen(s), it's not by any means as many add on Windows, and the ones which do mostly just gives a single link location.

I'm still getting the S8+ Duo, but if the app gap improves even a teeny tiny little bit within the next year I'm going right back to Windows. It's a much more polished experience and even though Microsoft has chipped away at everything that initially made Windows Phone so promising and unique, it's still a much better experience overall than I've found Android to be.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Been on microsoft for phone O/S since pocket pc days. Tried apple for a few months but slipped back for elite x3. I'm done. I pre-ordered the S8+. X3 going on ebay as soon as.

WOW! I still have my pocket pc and it still runs. That's oldschool tech right there.

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm too moving to the S8+. Anywhere I can find info on how to transfer texts from Windows 10 mobile to the S8? If this is even possible. And any other info to make the switch easier. I plan on continue to use MS apps like Outlook, OneDrive, etc. Thanks!

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still getting the S8+ Duo, but if the app gap improves even a teeny tiny little bit within the next year I'm going right back to Windows. It's a much more polished experience and even though Microsoft has chipped away at everything that initially made Windows Phone so promising and unique, it's still a much better experience overall than I've found Android to be.

Windows Phone is dead. MS isn't investing anything into moving the platform forward. As for the "app gap", that chasm will just keep getting bigger since nearly every major app is abandoning Windows Phone as their numbers dry up. Windows was actually not a bad phone OS. It just wasn't anything amazing and MS tried too hard to be Apple and control the platform.

emigrating

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Windows Phone is dead. MS isn't investing anything into moving the platform forward. As for the "app gap", that chasm will just keep getting bigger since nearly every major app is abandoning Windows Phone as their numbers dry up. Windows was actually not a bad phone OS. It just wasn't anything amazing and MS tried too hard to be Apple and control the platform.

I disagree, Windows Phone _was_ amazing, then they started chipping away at all the good stuff.

And yeah, it's dead, but Windows 10 is still alive and kicking and will be running on arm going forward, I can see myself grabbing an arm based small tablet and use that as my daily driver the as long as I get my live tiles and notifications back.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is bad on hardware. They advertise and invest money on a device for a year or two, then they discontinue it or scale it back. Windows 10 Mobile and the Band are examples. The Surface is the exception.

Actually, Microsoft's hardware and OS are really good. The problem is app availability. It's that lack of availability that is killing the platform. I'm not talking big name apps. For example, my credit union has both an iOS and Android app, but not a Windows Mobile app. Also, Android Pay, Apple Pay, and Samsung Pay are popular. Microsoft Wallet is just as good, but again, if banks don't support it, nobody will use it. It's the day-to-day apps that people use that are not available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz