Galaxy S8 Drop Test - Gorilla Glass 5 not too strong.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I kind of wish Samsung stuck with the capacitive buttons because the whole screen was usable.

They didn't just take away the buttons and threw them up on the screen, they reclaimed a lot of that space. The on screen nav buttons actually push down to where the old capacitive buttons sat. The go a little bit higher, but the screen is also higher.

ss.png

on screen buttons do take up some of the screen, but it takes up screen that didn't exist on the S7 in the first place. And they are also contextual... apps can call for immersive move and have them slide away, reclaiming all of the space they take up. And people can finally fix the fact that Samsung put the damn things backwards.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
They didn't just take away the buttons and threw them up on the screen, they reclaimed a lot of that space. The on screen nav buttons actually push down to where the old capacitive buttons sat. The go a little bit higher, but the screen is also higher.

View attachment 256043

on screen buttons do take up some of the screen, but it takes up screen that didn't exist on the S7 in the first place. And they are also contextual... apps can call for immersive move and have them slide away, reclaiming all of the space they take up. And people can finally fix the fact that Samsung put the damn things backwards.

I don't buy that argument. When the buttons are on the screen, that space is reserved only for the buttons. They only disappear when the whole screen is being used in videos.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
You may not buy that argument but it is not opinion. All iterations of on screen buttons have the buttons disappear when the app requires entire screen. First phone I had with on screen buttons did allow you to choose which hid the buttons. Fact, not opinion.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't buy that argument. When the buttons are on the screen, that space is reserved only for the buttons. They only disappear when the whole screen is being used in videos.

There's no arguement to buy... the S8 has a considerably larger screen with extremely small bezels around it. A HUGE jump in screen to body ration. And those bezels so small there would be zero room to slap a physical home button with some capacitive buttons next to it. So those on screen buttons are taking of screen that didn't exist prior.... screen that can be reused if the app calls for it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
There's no arguement to buy... the S8 has a considerably larger screen with extremely small bezels around it. A HUGE jump in screen to body ration. And those bezels so small there would be zero room to slap a physical home button with some capacitive buttons next to it. So those on screen buttons are taking of screen that didn't exist prior.... screen that can be reused if the app calls for it.

Not only do they take up screen space, they also cannot be used when the screen is wet. At least capacitive buttons can be used out in the rain.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Not only do they take up screen space, they also cannot be used when the screen is wet. At least capacitive buttons can be used out in the rain.

I really don't think you get it. He is saying if you took the height of the screen that the now on screen buttons populate away, you would still have a taller screen than what is on the S7E.

And when you're in full screen apps or apps that hide those buttons, you get all that screen space back.

Look at my crudely MS Paint job below. And Technically the S7E was the bigger of the two phones last year, so you're better off comparing the S7E to the S8+ (which is the forum area we are in by the way). and for that you get even MORE screen real estate.

S7E vs S8 screen size.png

And you're standing in rain trying to use your phone like 99% of the time?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think you get it. He is saying if you took the height of the screen that the now on screen buttons populate away, you would still have a taller screen than what is on the S7E.

And when you're in full screen apps or apps that hide those buttons, you get all that screen space back.

Look at my crudely MS Paint job below. And Technically the S7E was the bigger of the two phones last year, so you're better off comparing the S7E to the S8+ (which is the forum area we are in by the way). and for that you get even MORE screen real estate.

View attachment 256063

And you're standing in rain trying to use your phone like 99% of the time?

I don't understand what you're doing there. Based on the lines you drew, the on-screen keys take up the same amount of room as the capacitive buttons.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass helps -- but it isn't shatterproof. I am not sure why everyone thinks the phone is going to be able to be dropped on hard concrete every time they see GG.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what you're doing there. Based on the lines you drew, the on-screen keys take up the same amount of room as the capacitive buttons.

Exactly!! so in apps when those buttons go away you get that much more screen to work with. And when they're there, you have about the same size screen as you do on the S7E.

Again though the equivalent phone to the S7E would be the S8+

S7 = S8
S7E = S8+

And with the S8+ you get MUCH MORE screen.

S7E vs S8+ screen size.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995