What will Verizon do to the phone this time?

BudWheel

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
So will Verizon screw these phones up as well? I can't find any info on the subject because it hasn't been released I'm guessing? What I'm referring to is what they did to the Note 7 ( which I should had never turned in ) the maintenance code, ram usage, UI, find my mobile device and the 10 GB cloud they replaced with their own 5 GB cloud instead. Bloat wear is something that will be with every carrier phone but I don't want them to take any features away. That is just pure BS and I'm afraid they will do it again. Who knows maybe someone that was able to play with one will read this and say something. I really want this phone but I was going to wait till the unlocked version came out till today when I dropped my Note 3 and busted the digitizer. I really don't want to pay $100 to get another Note 3 when I could use it towards the S8. I might just do it I just hate to be disappointed once again.

legion125

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon seems certainly the worst culprit for adding bloat, although aall the other carriers seem to do a good job as well. I have an unlocked GS7 Edge and Sammies bloat is bad enough but livable without the carriers adding to it.

Last edited:

BudWheel

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
There is no way around the bloat I just want to know if features will be missing? I want what I paid for not some knock off. I would buy a Sprint and put on the Verizon network but i would have to wait for someone to unlock it so I wanted to wait for the unlocked version.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon seems certainly the worst culprit for adding bloat, although aall the other carriers seem to do a good job as well. I have an unlocked GS7 Edge and Sammies bloat is bad enough but livable without the carriers adding to it.

Actually AT&T is the worst -- by far. They have bloat apps and big DirecTV ads in your notification panel.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually AT&T is the worst -- by far. They have bloat apps and big DirecTV ads in your notification panel.

True but they block services and apps like Verizon does. Verizon does this so you can use only their apps and services. At least with ATT their just spAmming you with their stuff. But you still get the other stuff too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
True but they block services and apps like Verizon does. Verizon does this so you can use only their apps and services. At least with ATT their just spAmming you with their stuff. But you still get the other stuff too.

So far on my G6 I haven't found anything except a few bloat apps. (Verizon)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What services does Verizon block?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So will Verizon screw these phones up as well? I can't find any info on the subject because it hasn't been released I'm guessing? What I'm referring to is what they did to the Note 7 ( which I should had never turned in ) the maintenance code, ram usage, UI, find my mobile device and the 10 GB cloud they replaced with their own 5 GB cloud instead. Bloat wear is something that will be with every carrier phone but I don't want them to take any features away. That is just pure BS and I'm afraid they will do it again. Who knows maybe someone that was able to play with one will read this and say something. I really want this phone but I was going to wait till the unlocked version came out till today when I dropped my Note 3 and busted the digitizer. I really don't want to pay $100 to get another Note 3 when I could use it towards the S8. I might just do it I just hate to be disappointed once again.

If you care enough about it, buy the unlocked model.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What services does Verizon block?

On the Note 7 they blocked all Samsung cloud stuff. And while they don't block it (anymore) Samsung Pay wasn't even preinstalled on a Samsung device. And there are a couple non-important apps they remove as well. They didn't allow Grace UI either. And most of this was seen more with the Note 7 because S7s didn't have some of the apps/features.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That's fine by me -- I never used Samsung apps anyway. Why have dupes of the same ones I use w/ Google? :p.

That may be for you but not everyone is like you. For instance, Samsung Cloud is better than anything Verizon offers or even Google to maintain full backups of your device and restores. So to disable that does a disservice to users who want a seamless way to do this. That's just one example. And while you may not care about this. I did. We are different. I'm speaking for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That may be for you but not everyone is like you. For instance, Samsung Cloud is better than anything Verizon offers or even Google to maintain full backups of your device and restores. So to disable that does a disservice to users who want a seamless way to do this. That's just one example. And while you may not care about this. I did. We are different. I'm speaking for me.

And I know -- I never said everyone was like me right ;)? I just prefer to use Google apps since it will work on all Android versus locking into Samsung.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
And I know -- I never said everyone was like me right ;)? I just prefer to use Google apps since it will work on all Android versus locking into Samsung.

I agree for the most part. But my biggest gripe was Samsung cloud. There's no 1 google service that provides backups and restores for your device. For a Samsung device this is a must. No need to use several app and clunky restore process. For me it's not a big deal because I know how to handle my data. But this is a significant service that Verizon disabled solely for the purpose of wanted you to use there cloud service that's half as good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree for the most part. But my biggest gripe was Samsung cloud. There's no 1 google service that provides backups and restores for your device. For a Samsung device this is a must. No need to use several app and clunky restore process. For me it's not a big deal because I know how to handle my data. But this is a significant service that Verizon disabled solely for the purpose of wanted you to use there cloud service that's half as good.

Yep .. But AT&T and others disable stuff as well. Just have to pick your poison or buy unlocked.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep .. But AT&T and others disable stuff as well. Just have to pick your poison or buy unlocked.

Yes I agree with that. They all do it but I don't think there's any question that Verizon has been the most agregious among the carriers when it comes to these types of things.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The settings menu looks a little different because it's sectioned off. The Verizon messaging app is default and there's some definite bloat, but it's really nothing out of the ordinary​. The best part? No Verizon branding on the device.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh also I looked (I wasn't sure since I don't use these) but it seems LG has the same backup as Samsung and it is present on my Verizon G6 so hopefully they leave it alone for the Samsung variant.
Screenshot_2017-04-04-23-29-30.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000