Anyone else having second thoughts?

cconn

Banned
Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
So like a lot of people, I have the S8+ preordered and was pretty excited about it's quickly approaching release, I don't know, I guess I'm just kind of venting here, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be disappointed by the S8's software, optimization, etc.

So far I've owned 4 Samsung phones. The Note 2, the S6, the Note 5 and the S7.

The Note 2 was the best phone I ever had for the first year before completely disintegrating in the second year with constant lag, freezing, etc.

The S6's battery was so bad (particularly its standby time), I ended up selling it after a month.

I loved my Note 5, until it got a media server battery drain bug after about 10 months, and my battery started dying lightning fast.

So then I went to the S7 - after reading and watching countless reviews praising it and have been nothing but disappointed. It's been slow, laggy, runs very hot, has extremely inconsistent battery life, and just doesn't feel worth the $28 + $12 in insurance I pay for it every month. It honestly feels like I might as well just be using a Moto G.

Meanwhile the android phones I've owned in between my Samsung phones, I've been very pleased with. I had the OnePlus One that performed phenomenally in every category the entire time I owned it, and the Xperia Z3 that - while the display wasn't nearly as good as a Samsung display - had the best battery life of any phone I've ever had (avg. SOT of 6.5 hours, and a max of 8.5), and never had any performance issues with it - even after it was 2 years (my wife was using it for the second year, while I was using the Note 5).

So now the S8+ looks phenomenal. I've watched a ton of hands on and reviews about it, many of which seem to dispel my concerns. They talk about how much thinner and snappier a skin Grace UI is, they talk about the strong battery life, etc. But despite all of that, I just can't shake the feeling a few months will pass, and I'll be counting down the months until I can upgrade again due to some unseen flaw or quirk in the phone.

At the same time, I tried a OnePlus 3T a couple months ago, and absolutely loves its performance. The fastest phone I've ever used by far, solid battery life, while the only real things I particularly felt were missing was waterproofing and convince of having a carrier-based insurance, tech support, etc. Still, I'm starting to feel like I might be foolish to keep going back to Samsung despite not being particularly satisfied with several of their products.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll be the best device Samsung has created to date, but not sure yet how it'll compare to your prior experiences. History seems to indicate that reviews are done in the first month or so of the device being released, meaning that a lot of the things you're describing don't manifest until after the unit has been reviewed.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
At the the moment the only second thoughts I'm having is in regards to the size I have chosen. However, this could change when we all start getting our phones. I'll just have to wait and see.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My advice is to get off the forums for awhile and forget about it. Some of the negativity I'm reading both here and the LG forum would make most people regret their choice lol

I get its a discussion board, but after awhile all the negative talk really brings you down

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My advice is to get off the forums for awhile and forget about it. Some of the negativity I'm reading both here and the LG forum would make most people regret their choice lol

I get its a discussion board, but after awhile all the negative talk really brings you down

We all were dazzled by the hype of the new S8(+) but now the dust has settled this Bixby thing is really starting to bug me. No one asked for it, but it's being "sideloaded" into our new devices by default. I mean I really don't want 'Artificial Intelligence' "getting to know me" whether that be shopping habits, what time I wake up, whatever this thing does (in the background).
I have pre-ordered the S8+ solely on the basis of being an existing Note 4 owner and a pre-ordered Note 7 customer who never got to experience the Note 7. I am looking forward to the screen, the camera, etc. But now seeing the text doesn't even go to the edges it appears even narrower and makes the S7 Edge look better. As a graphic designer I have never like using Condensed Font, but this tall phone seems to be all about stretched out of shape distorted screen ratio. Are they intentionally making this phone with glaringly obvious "mishaps" so when it comes to the next model such as Note 8 or S9 they will "fix" what we considered wrong with this now here S8?
We really need to have a say in what we want in our phones and not just blindly take what these companies spoon feed us by telling us "we listened" "we know you will want this feature".
Still. I am going ahead and looking forward to finally getting this new phone…

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
At the the moment the only second thoughts I'm having is in regards to the size I have chosen. However, this could change when we all start getting our phones. I'll just have to wait and see.
Have you had the chance to play with the essay and s8plus in stores? That definitely helps and it help me determine that I would definitely prefer the larger one which I pre-ordered

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
this Bixby thing is really starting to bug me. No one asked for it, but it's being "sideloaded" into our new devices by default. I mean I really don't want 'Artificial Intelligence' "getting to know me" whether that be shopping habits, what time I wake up, whatever this thing does (in the background).

Your only option for not having an a.i. getting to know you or following you around these days would be a rotary dial phone mounted to a wall. ;)

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Have you had the chance to play with the essay and s8plus in stores? That definitely helps and it help me determine that I would definitely prefer the larger one which I pre-ordered

Yes I did get to play with them. This is part of the reason why I'm second-guessing myself. The S8+ looks & feels Soooo good. However I told myself that if I skimp out now I can go all out when the Note 8 arrives. If I get the S8+ now, I might not be getting the Note later cause the plus is already expensive.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean by slow OS after updates. I used to work at Samsung/Best Buy and every software update always seem to slow the device down more and more, until it almost becomes unusable.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It's like looking for at a wall of tvs at the store. Once you get it home, there's nothing to compare it to and you'll be love it. Stop second guessing. There's no perfect phone.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
It's like looking for at a wall of tvs at the store. Once you get it home, there's nothing to compare it to and you'll be love it. Stop second guessing. There's no perfect phone.

Exactly. I've never had a phone that didn't have flaws and slow down after time (except my last several flip-phones). Accept that and you may be able to let go of the post-order/pre-arrival anxiety.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So like a lot of people, I have the S8+ preordered and was pretty excited about it's quickly approaching release, I don't know, I guess I'm just kind of venting here, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be disappointed by the S8's software, optimization, etc.

So far I've owned 4 Samsung phones. The Note 2, the S6, the Note 5 and the S7.

The Note 2 was the best phone I ever had for the first year before completely disintegrating in the second year with constant lag, freezing, etc.

The S6's battery was so bad (particularly its standby time), I ended up selling it after a month.

I loved my Note 5, until it got a media server battery drain bug after about 10 months, and my battery started dying lightning fast.

So then I went to the S7 - after reading and watching countless reviews praising it and have been nothing but disappointed. It's been slow, laggy, runs very hot, has extremely inconsistent battery life, and just doesn't feel worth the $28 + $12 in insurance I pay for it every month. It honestly feels like I might as well just be using a Moto G.

Meanwhile the android phones I've owned in between my Samsung phones, I've been very pleased with. I had the OnePlus One that performed phenomenally in every category the entire time I owned it, and the Xperia Z3 that - while the display wasn't nearly as good as a Samsung display - had the best battery life of any phone I've ever had (avg. SOT of 6.5 hours, and a max of 8.5), and never had any performance issues with it - even after it was 2 years (my wife was using it for the second year, while I was using the Note 5).

So now the S8+ looks phenomenal. I've watched a ton of hands on and reviews about it, many of which seem to dispel my concerns. They talk about how much thinner and snappier a skin Grace UI is, they talk about the strong battery life, etc. But despite all of that, I just can't shake the feeling a few months will pass, and I'll be counting down the months until I can upgrade again due to some unseen flaw or quirk in the phone.

At the same time, I tried a OnePlus 3T a couple months ago, and absolutely loves its performance. The fastest phone I've ever used by far, solid battery life, while the only real things I particularly felt were missing was waterproofing and convince of having a carrier-based insurance, tech support, etc. Still, I'm starting to feel like I might be foolish to keep going back to Samsung despite not being particularly satisfied with several of their products.

I can't understand this. Flagship phones lagging and freezing after a short while. I still have a Galaxy S5 which runs faultlessy. It's the reason I haven't upgraded yet. Battery life is a bit ordinary, but everything else is faultless.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I can't understand this. Flagship phones lagging and freezing after a short while. I still have a Galaxy S5 which runs faultlessy. It's the reason I haven't upgraded yet. Battery life is a bit ordinary, but everything else is faultless.
That little thing was a great phone I remember having it

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm disappointed with the S8+ price in my region, quite a lot higher than Note 7. So have decided to wait for Note 8. It might be even higher than S8+, but I want a damn good phone (which I think Note 8 will be) if I am going to spend such money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech