Anyone else having second thoughts?

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
At the the moment the only second thoughts I'm having is in regards to the size I have chosen. However, this could change when we all start getting our phones. I'll just have to wait and see.

I wish I went 8+ but I'm not changing my order and spending $130 more.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I though that the $130 was a little steep.
Yes. Just a tad steep and totally ridiculous. No way in my right conscience could I justify that markup for an additional 4/10" more screen and nothing else. If it was my only phone for 12-24 months, I could handle that. But, not on JOD. Total money grab.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Just a tad steep and totally ridiculous. No way in my right conscience could I justify that markup for an additional 4/10" more screen and nothing else. If it was my only phone for 12-24 months, I could handle that. But, not on JOD. Total money grab.
My thoughts exactly. Same phone, just bigger. Besides screen and battery there is no difference. I'll save the $130

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Pre ordered 2 s8s (silver for me and grey for my kid) but am definitely having second thoughts. I've been living the unlocked life for a few years and really liking it...low monthly payments, no contract etc. Now questioning if its worth 2 years tied to a carrier or 1500 bucks ($1700 after cases, screen protectors, taxes, activation fees blah blah blah). Ordered because the phone is gorgeous and has everything I want (with the exception of stereo speakers). Always said that I wouldn't do contract thing again and here I am. Still haven't decided what I'm doing yet but now leaning towards canceling... but this phone is so darn nice I'm torn.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't use AI type stuff often but I am really looking forward to Bixby and all that it can do.

I am TOTALLY with you. Just opening an app or doing a pre-cursory search with Voice is soooo 2014. I have been WAITING for years to not only tell my phone, "open youtube & podcasts apps" BUT to also be able say, "play, skip to next, go back to last one, search such & such once it opens the app, ETC....

THAT to me is really the true definition of "hands free usage" and i can't wait to see once Sammy has Bixby go ALL IN ....

BTC

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
S8+ pre-ordered in the UK but as an S7E owner I am having second thoughts tbh.

Controversial thing to say but looking at it in store, whilst the smaller physical bezel/larger screen is impressive at first a part of me actually thinks the S7E is a nicer looking phone. The smaller bezels top and bottom look a little odd to me, maybe I’ll get used to them.

The bottom bezel is an interesting one and something that nobody seems to have flagged yet is that for every day use with most apps the on screen bezel will remain so you you are not actually gaining the screen, my expectation is that this will pretty much always be there so in a way they have just replaced a physical bezel with a virtual one.

Some other thoughts:

- Finger print sensor is just really dumb. I fear I will live with it but never be happy
- The other unlock methods strike me as being slower e.g. I cannot imagine unlocking using iris scanning when paying with android pay in store. I’d imagine a pin/password would still be quicker in real world use
- Camera may have some software tweaks but is the same hardware. Dual lens
- I still have doubts over battery but these look like they are misplaced as early tests seem positive

I am on the fence over whether to cancel my order or not.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I am TOTALLY with you. Just opening an app or doing a pre-cursory search with Voice is soooo 2014. I have been WAITING for years to not only tell my phone, "open youtube & podcasts apps" BUT to also be able say, "play, skip to next, go back to last one, search such & such once it opens the app, ETC....

THAT to me is really the true definition of "hands free usage" and i can't wait to see once Sammy has Bixby go ALL IN ....

BTC

I tend to agree with this, folks are hung up on Bixby being redundant because of GA on there also. I do not see it that way, from what i understand Bixby function is more aimed at you interaction with your phone.

PS. No second thoughts at all.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
@neil74

I'm in the UK too but haven't pre ordered. I'm in no rush to have one of these 8 days early.

I've played with both variants of the s8 in my local Samsung Experience Store, and although impressed I like you think where Samsung have decided to place the fingerprint scanner is a poor one.

Like many I tend to agree with the census that it was a last resort due to issues integrating it into the new home button.

I use the s7 edge and although many say it's the s8+ that is the natural upgrade I would choose the s8. At least with that one I can just about utilise the finger print scanner. It would be just too much of a hindrance on the s8+ for me.

This said as I've mentioned in previous threads I'm not an early adopter so I'll watch Youtube user unboxings and real end reviews and wait. By that time the Note 8 will be on the scene. Then it's choice time.

Gav508

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I still use a perfectly good S6 on Verizon with the old unlimited plan. I was looking forward to upgrade to the S8, until I found that Android 7 Nougat stops FoxFi from working. I do not use much data at all, but because I can no longer use free Hotspot, I will not upgrade, and will not upgrade software on my S6.
I know it's not the phones fault but everything g good about Android, is getting shut off with software updates. Since I only use Hotspot for less than 2 gb, I refuse to pay $30 for the Hotspot option.

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
The only regret I'm having is not pre-ordering sooner or, if they run out of free GearVR bundles before I get mine, then why did I bother pre-ordering at all?

ktr04

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
I've been using my S8+ all day today...and I think I will be returning it. It's a really nice device and I love e the big screen, but I prefer the feel of my G6 more.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I finally broke down and pre-ordered my S8+ today. I had second thoughts about not buying it.
Ill be interested to hear from you on when it ships etc. Did you order through a carrier or the samsung site. I preordered from tmobile on 4.5 and myups still shows "ready for ups" and hasnt Been shipped yet

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad