Tempered Glass Screen Protector

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The GS8 will be my first smartphone with a curved display as I have avoided them in the past due to cost not justifying the value of the added features. I saw the Alpha Glass from Otterbox and Gorilla Glass has one but it's sold out. Are there any other options? Do I really need it?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am a huge proponent for screen protectors, especially the tempted glass variety. Are they needed? Yes... as least in my opinion. Corning has done a good job with Gorilla Glass.. their production techniques have helped improve the toughness of a material that is often used to describe something that is, well, not tough. :)

BUT... the world is filled with crap hellbent on scratching the heck out of these displays. Some of the most common substances we come across in our daily lives will scratch even the best treated glass... all it takes is a single speck of sand in your pocket to wreck a screen. While the metal used in keys is softer, they can still scratch a screen. I've had the metal end of a USB plug scrape up a screen before. And those light scratches might seem benign, but glass's strength comes from its structure. Even a small scratch weakens the overall strength of the glass.

Screen protectors are cheap... you can get a good quality tempered glass protector for under $10... granted, I don't know how well they will fit the S8's screen. TG SPs love screens that are flat, edge to edge, something that even the 'flat' regular S7 was not (it had a very slight bulge). But let's assume there will be good ones that fit well without any of the halo bubble nastiness that poorly fitting ones have. A good tempered glass protector feels great... it's glass... you most likely wouldn't be able any difference in feel between it and the actual screen. Not only do they protect from scratches, they offer up some level of impact protection as well. I dropped a TG'd phone on my porch once, it landed pretty much face down. I picked it up and there was a pretty good crack in the protector and a chip from its edge. I peeled it off, fearing the worst, and found a completely pristine main screen.

If you do a number on the S8's screen, how much is that going to run you? Even if you have insurance through your carrier, the deductible can run upwards of $175... that might seem high, but the screen itself goes for even more than that, not including labor cost. The S7's screens were hellishly expensive, I would guess the S8's are no less pricey. Scratch up the screen protector? You are out $10.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
From my experience with the Note7 and S7E, I haven't found many people that were happy with their screen protector purchase. It never fits right (if you have the glass tempered) or the feel is bad (if you have the plastic).
Some of the glass ones have adhesive in the wrong spots or only on the edges.
There's also issues with screen sensitivity in certain parts of the screen, as well as the protector lifting slightly off of the screen towards the center.
IMO, screen protectors aren't worth the hassle. Accidents do happen sometimes. That's life. You just deal with it and move on. If you are doing this because you are not getting insurance, I wouldn't count on the screen protector keeping your screen from shattering. Yes, if your phone comes in contact with foreign particles often, you may need some extra protection.
Otherwise, just be careful with it and enjoy the visual and feel of the display.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Never leave my AT&T Store without one! Generally, BodyGuardz HD Contour but I've also used SuperShieldz by Protection Professional and had decent luck with them as well. I had BodyGuardz HD Contours on both of my Note 7s and they stuck well and I had no sensitivity problems. I have one on my flat S7 Active now and it is the same... no issues. Just an opposing opinion.

johnny8410

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This is my only concern with the edge screen, it's difficult to find the right screen protector. With the s7 edge I picked up one from bestskinsever and I stuck with that one for a while since they make a case friendly one. I did try a tempered screen protector but didn't like the screen input issues and that they're not all clear. For now, I ordered the one from spigen for my s8 just so that I could have something to put on the screen as soon as it arrives.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung must know after so many edged models sold that people hate trying or can't find a proper fitting curved tempered screen protector. I wish that if they can work with Corning to make the curved glass and plan to order 60 million of them, you'd think they could have worked with them to make a screen protector that fits their glass and they'd make a lot of money selling it. They'd sell millions!

I like the S8 and not absolutely a deal breaker... but if I went with S8, I hate the idea I might not be able to find a tempered glass protector and even have a hard time finding a good plastic protector in general.

Samsung! ... please make a tempered glass protector to go with your screens!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
There will be a bunch of screen protectors for the S8. My company tested a bunch of them and they work well.

I personally don't use them.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The lack of a good curved screen protector is the main reason why the Mrs. is going with the G6 over the S8. I got her to see the light and leave Apple!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I never used to use screen protectors but I finally tried one of the tempered glass ones and I fell in love with it so now I am using them indefinitely on all my phones. Leorex was happy to hear that.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I never used to use screen protectors but I finally tried one of the tempered glass ones and I fell in love with it so now I am using them indefinitely on all my phones. Leorex was happy to hear that.

Which one? Was tempted by the Alpha Glass.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Which one? Was tempted by the Alpha Glass.
I got this one that my buddy recommended.

a044844ab6f77d741d44802087862c9e.jpg

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I ordered some new glass from spigen. It's called neo flex. I don't even think it's glass, idk wtf it is.

I've always used tempered glass, but when I got the s7 edge I didn't use one because of the curve and it was scratched in like 2 days.

When I got the note 7, I got some of that liquid screen protector stuff and that stuff is awesome.

I'll probably wind up using that again if this neo flex is a waste of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol