05-04-2017 09:44 AM
136 12345 ...
tools
    Reason's I would go with the S8+ over the S8 is screen size and a larger battery.
    04-07-2017 12:14 PM
    Is the G6 also 2.05:1? Not being wise guy I don't know.
    The G6 is also a 18:9 screen ratio.
    04-07-2017 12:17 PM
    The usual reasons. It's bigger, newer and more expensive.

And, primarily, to irritate people that think it's a poor choice.
    04-07-2017 12:22 PM
    This move isn't a Samsung thing. Other manufacturers are going to this as well. If it were just Samsung doing it I could see your point. The note will follow suit.
    Bezeless phones are a movement. Whether this aspect ratio is a movement is yet to be seen. I am not the only one who finds this size odd. Easier for pocket carry. Worse for Excel. Gorgeous bright screen. I am thrilled HDMI isn't blocked like the 7 series. I do like led indicators. It will be interezting if iPhone 8, LG 30, Huawei etc follow suit.

And to stay on topic definitely 8+ for me not 8
    04-07-2017 12:23 PM
    The G6 is also a 18:9 screen ratio.
    That's a big thing. I had no idea. Sounds like I will be stuck with 2:1 whether I like it or not.
    04-07-2017 12:24 PM
    The usual reasons. It's bigger, newer and more expensive.

And, primarily, to irritate people that think it's a poor choice.
    This does not look like a poor choice to me. It handles great.
    04-07-2017 12:27 PM
    For me the S8 was slightly narrower than my current S6 edge. I wanted a bigger screen for reading work emails, documents, etc., not necessarily watching movies and playing games. The S8 + is only slightly wider than my S6 edge but wider for me is better than narrower for me because that means bigger screen but still able to hold it comfortably in my hand and use it.
    04-07-2017 12:36 PM
    I just wanted a bigger screen. I didn't even look at the regular 8.
    04-07-2017 12:43 PM
    That's a big thing. I had no idea. Sounds like I will be stuck with 2:1 whether I like it or not.
    I had thoughts of going for the G6. Once the specs were released, I changed my mind. It's a nice phone, but I'd rather have the newer tech. LG needs to get out of the habit of always being a half step behind.

I also think people who want the smaller form factor will appreciate the larger screen on the S8. Those who normally purchase larger phones, will continue to do so.
    joe likes this.
    04-07-2017 12:51 PM
    Size

That is one of the reasons I am sending back my G6. After coming from a Nexus 6 I've had a hard time getting used to a smaller phone.
    04-07-2017 01:07 PM
    Not to long ago 4x3 was a standard and people thought 16x9 was crazy. Things change. And 16x9 isn't the future.
    Catch here being most devices and content are not the S8 ratio, nor will it be for the life of this device. Even if the content fit it is cropped on the corners due to the corner curves that make no functional sense.

Cropped content or smaller due to side black bars are the options here. Hopefully the Note 8 is current Note ratio. I expect it will be, since most professionals will not like the smaller width portrait display space.
    04-07-2017 01:27 PM
    Catch here being most devices and content are not the S8 ratio, nor will it be for the life of this device. Even if the content fit it is cropped on the corners due to the corner curves that make no functional sense.

Cropped content or smaller due to side black bars are the options here. Hopefully the Note 8 is current Note ratio. I expect it will be, since most professionals will not like the smaller width portrait display space.
    Something has to come first. There's no drive to create content if technology isn't available for so that it can be viewed.

When the first 16x9 HDTV launched in 1998 there was virtually nothing to watch but 4:3. Later that year some broadcasts started and grew a little during 1999. Finally HDTV broadcast got it's big selling point with the Superbowl in 2000. Then it exploded.

4k was the same way. Other than NHK in Japan, there was virtually no push for 4k content when 4k first got the shelves a couple years ago. Now things are really ramping up but there's a long way to go. And the next standard, 8k, is already in play by NHK again but we seem to be quite a few years from 8k TV sets and even further from them being affordable.

2:1 content is out there, it's being used, but devices in that aspect ratio haven't existed until now. Will it take off? We will see.
    04-07-2017 02:00 PM
    Something has to come first. There's no drive to create content if technology isn't available for so that it can be viewed.

When the first 16x9 HDTV launched in 1998 there was virtually nothing to watch but 4:3. Later that year some broadcasts started and grew a little during 1999. Finally HDTV broadcast got it's big selling point with the Superbowl in 2000. Then it exploded.

4k was the same way. Other than NHK in Japan, there was virtually no push for 4k content when 4k first got the shelves a couple years ago. Now things are really ramping up but there's a long way to go. And the next standard, 8k, is already in play by NHK again but we seem to be quite a few years from 8k TV sets and even further from them being affordable.

2:1 content is out there, it's being used, but devices in that aspect ratio haven't existed until now. Will it take off? We will see.
    If Apple does it then prepare for lift off.
    04-07-2017 02:53 PM
    SOT for one... ~5 hours versus ~7 (!!!)
    04-08-2017 01:28 PM
    Hi, I just want to know for the ones who will buy the S8+ their reason to buy it.Do u think S8 is really not big enough or just you're used to big phones.I've always had samsund S series phones.But I feel now that my S7 is too small.Is the S8 enough bigger than the S7?
    The S8 just feels too small in the hand. Some people prefer that. I prefer a bigger device and that 6.2" screen is a thing of beauty.
    amyf27 likes this.
    04-08-2017 01:30 PM
    Since there is so much discussion on this maybe somebody could post a video playing on the phone itself so we can see what it looks like and help clam some nerves about poor ratio?

Here is some impute​ on LGs new screen ratio or at least one review

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=b
    null
    04-08-2017 01:55 PM
    Since there is so much discussion on this maybe somebody could post a video playing on the phone itself so we can see what it looks like and help clam some nerves about poor ratio?

Here is some impute​ on LGs new screen ratio or at least one review

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=b
    null
    Clam what? Objective fact most content will be cropped or smaller with black bars. If you don't mind, enjoy the device. I literally left BB twenty minutes ago trying it out again for a forth time and still prefer my Note 4 display ratio for content.

The more I use the 8+ the less I like the display corner curves and ratio. The curves in the corners bug me more than the ratio.
    04-08-2017 02:36 PM
    "Why S8+ and not S8?"

Even though I'm not buying an S8 at the moment, the larger screen makes it much more attractive and useful in my eyes. I like big screens.
    amyf27 and Viscomi4444 like this.
    04-08-2017 07:49 PM
    I mean so is everyone who owns an iPad. So I guess that iPad thing will just never catch on, will it?
    The bigger the screen the less the black bars bother me. A phone is much smaller than my iPads. The thing is I am usually home when I use iPad so I don't watch tv shows on it. I often watch tv shows and sports on my Note 3 or V20

I like the 1 hr dramas and documentaries on Netflix and Xfinity on Demand.
    04-08-2017 08:31 PM
    I just left Best Buy. If you aren't looking at them side by side you almost would think they were the same size. I mean one is obviously larger than the other but it's not that noticeable like it was last year. For that alone I think it's worth going for the slightly larger screen and larger battery.
    same here. I like the larger battery but I love bigger screens. I hate small phones. The S7 Edge is too small for me to hold even with a case and I hate texting on it because it's smaller. The Note 7 was much easier to type on.
    recDNA likes this.
    04-08-2017 11:40 PM
    I was going to say, if the next iPhone follows suit it's a done deal.

Question...is there a way for Apple to make money by following suit on the screen change? That's when Apple usually makes the change.
    I think Apple is very big on one-handed use and the only way to achieve this would be for them to shorten the width. They are probably coming out with curved screens as well. Once you've done that, the only way to make the screen bigger is to make it longer. I don't think it's so far fetched, but I agree - they usually need an incentive to do something like that if it's not something that they want to force on people.
    04-09-2017 01:19 AM
    Since when are phones required to hold a 16:9 aspect ratio? They said the same with the LG G6 which has a 18:9 ratio while the S8/S8+ has a 18.5:9 ratio. It's evolution happening before our eyes. I'll leave this link right here.... So, what is this 2:1 Univisium display ratio on the LG G6 and likely the S8?

It looks like this is where smartphones are heading with this ratio.
    04-09-2017 01:25 AM
    I think Apple is very big on one-handed use and the only way to achieve this would be for them to shorten the width. They are probably coming out with curved screens as well. Once you've done that, the only way to make the screen bigger is to make it longer. I don't think it's so far fetched, but I agree - they usually need an incentive to do something like that if it's not something that they want to force on people.
    According to this article it appears that Apple is coming out with a curved screen this year. They are also introducing wireless charging. Both of these features have been made big from Samsung, but now it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread and all Apple did is copy Samsung again. I am assuming the Apple phone released with the curved screen will be the $1,000 version that is being rumored.

A side note, if Apple does change the screen ratio like LG and Samsung then IMO the filming industry will change. It doesn't appear that will happen though this time around, according to article, the biggest screen is going to be 5.5 inches, the curved screen version is going to be 5.2 inches.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/A...sources?page=1
    04-09-2017 05:28 AM
    Good! There"s always a chance for a 16/9 comeback. Typing in landscape. mode in Tapatalk should be fun. Either there won't be room for the words at the top or the "keys" will have to be skinny like the screen. Most may type in portrait mode but I always use landscape. Of course I am typo king and some of you can fly through the keys without looking.

No question the S8+ is selling a lot. of phones so this will be the direction of the future. Most of you will love the new aspect. I'm always resistant to change. Heck I still don't like the curves! Anyway I def prefer the 8+ to the 8

A 5.5 iPhone with smaller bezels and a 16/9 flat screen might attract my attention too.

I always thought that when they reduced bezels width would remain the same and overall length of phone would be shorter. oops

I'd be satisfied if apple. took off only the top bezel so a real button could remain in the bottom. I will miss the Sammy button too. I love how capacitive buttons in bezel retain screen space
    04-09-2017 08:52 AM
    Screen size and battery life
    This. Isn't it the only advantage? Not even say a 128GB internally.

I just wished they gave more like Apple with the 7 vs 7 Plus.
    recDNA likes this.
    04-09-2017 09:34 AM
136 12345 ...