Why S8+ and not S8?

boubazm1

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I just want to know for the ones who will buy the S8+ their reason to buy it.Do u think S8 is really not big enough or just you're used to big phones.I've always had samsund S series phones.But I feel now that my S7 is too small.Is the S8 enough bigger than the S7?

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes, S8 is not big enough. IMHO even the S8+'s size is marginal, to the point that I may cancel my pre-order and wait for the Note 8. I want a 6" screen with a 16:9 ratio.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I absolutely love large phones. When I first looked at the dimensions before seeing these phones in real life to me they didn't look all that much different but in person they are. The s8plus is amazing it is almost the same size as my beloved Note 7 was which is what I'm looking for

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One reason I would go S8+ over S8 if I was buying one... screen size. I like big screen phones.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
the 8+ isn't big enough. Too narrow. Narrower than my 5.7 inch screen. Movies do not fit properly. TV and Sports and Youtube do not fit properly. Games do not fit properly. There is a 16:9 standard & deviating from it is just stupid.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
the 8+ isn't big enough. Too narrow. Narrower than my 5.7 inch screen. Movies do not fit properly. TV and Sports and Youtube do not fit properly. Games do not fit properly. There is a 16:9 standard & deviating from it is just stupid.
Not to long ago 4x3 was a standard and people thought 16x9 was crazy. Things change. And 16x9 isn't the future.

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I just left Best Buy. If you aren't looking at them side by side you almost would think they were the same size. I mean one is obviously larger than the other but it's not that noticeable like it was last year. For that alone I think it's worth going for the slightly larger screen and larger battery.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not to long ago 4x3 was a standard and people thought 16x9 was crazy. Things change. And 16x9 isn't the future.
But there is no big movement to this new standard. Why be the beta tester? This would be like. owning an HD TV before there was a single thing available in HD.

TV shows were produced in 16:9 for years before they were even available for viewing by any device. If all the games and movies and tv and youtube were already available in this format it would make sense.

When the "future" establishes a new standard and virtually everything is available in that standard THAT is when you change.

And by the way. It sucks to look at anything in this narrow view. Movies, tv, games whatever. Even if they fit they look stupid.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But there is no big movement to this new standard. Why be the beta tester? This would be like. owning an HD TV before there was a single thing available in HD.

TV shows were produced in 16:9 for years before they were even available for viewing by any device. If all the games and movies and tv and youtube were already available in this format it would make sense.

Do you know how many people have 4K TVs and sit there watching TV from Comcast and such ? Comcast isn't doing 4k so .. you aren't seeing 4k :p.

That is just what happens if you're on the latest and greatest. Apps will update and what not but it won't be fully operational out the gate. I don't see it as being a beta tester -- I see it as the rest of the world has to adapt and that doesn't happen with a simple finger snap.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you know how many people have 4K TVs and sit there watching TV from Comcast and such ? Comcast isn't doing 4k so .. you aren't seeing 4k :p.

That is just what happens if you're on the latest and greatest. Apps will update and what not but it won't be fully operational out the gate. I don't see it as being a beta tester -- I see it as the rest of the world has to adapt and that doesn't happen with a simple finger snap.
That isn't smart either but unlike 4k there is no movement at all to the aspect ratio of these phones. They are a solution without a problem.

At least you can get 4k dvd. I believe Netflix has some 4k shows too.

We won't keep these phones more than 2 yrs. No way this new ratio will be the standard within that time - if ever.
This aspect ratio doesn't look good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That isn't smart either but unlike 4k there is no movement at all to the aspect ratio of these phones. They are a solution without a problem.

At least you can get 4k dvd. I believe Netflix has some 4k shows too.

We won't keep these phones more than 2 yrs. No way this new ratio will be the standard within that time - if ever.

Of course there is no movement -- The Samsung phone isn't out yet. You think when one of the biggest and most used Android phones gets on the market apps aren't going to update for it? Really? :eek:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Of course there is no movement -- The Samsung phone isn't out yet. You think when one of the biggest and most used Android phones gets on the market apps aren't going to update for it? Really? :eek:
As I said tv shows produced HD long BEFORE anybody had an HD TV. I watch old episodes of Law and Order and West Wing in HD. Back then there was no tv to watch it on and no cable company to deliver it. It was also better to look at. This long narrow look is not.

So all the games, Youtube, Movies etc will only be viewable on Samsung phones. No tv's. No theatres. No Pixel or HTC or LG. Nobody id going this way.

Do you think if Samsung unilaterally built an HD TV NBC would have started broadcasting for it? It took a law from Congress!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As I said tv shows produced HD long BEFORE anybody had an HD TV. I watch old episodes of Law and Order and West Wing in HD. Back then there was no tv to watch it on and no cable company to deliver it. It was also better to look at. This long narrow look is not.

So all the games, Youtube, Movies etc will only be viewable on Samsung phones. No tv's. No theatres. No Pixel or HTC or LG. Nobody id going this way.

Do you think if Samsung unilaterally built an HD TV NBC would have started broadcasting for it? It took a law from Congress!

We can agree to disagree on this -- because I will never agree that apps are just going to ignore the S8 coming out :p.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Ok, you really need to do some research. The West Wing was on from 1999-2006, was shot on film, and 6 of the 7 seasons were broadcast in HD.

The first HD TVs hit the market in 1998. Broadcasts started toward the end of 1998 as well.

So yes, there were HDTVs to watch the West Wing on when it aired.

A format shift has to start somewhere. A huge manufacturer of mobile devices, plus a smaller one in LG, may just be that start.

2:1 was proposed in 1998 and according to IMDB over 700 shows/movies have been shot in the format. Netflix and Amazon Video have original series in that format. They are huge players.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You're wrong. Although opening credits were in SD the first season the show itself from the very first season was in HD. Check it out on Netflix
There was tremendous discussion and even laws passed to help the change to an undeniably better format. There is no movement from anyone anywhere toward the weird unpleasant shape of these phones.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I find it curious that LG and Samsung both come out with flagship phones in this wacky 2:1 aspect ratio at the same time. That gives me hope that developers and content delivery folks will start to accommodate this wider ratio. If Apple follows suit then you know s*** is about to get real. But I'm inclined to agree with recDNA...this is a solution in search of a problem.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was going to say, if the next iPhone follows suit it's a done deal.

Question...is there a way for Apple to make money by following suit on the screen change? That's when Apple usually makes the change.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You're wrong. Although opening credits were in SD the first season the show itself from the very first season was in HD. Check it out on Netflix
There was tremendous discussion and even laws passed to help the change to an undeniably better format. There is no movement from anyone anywhere toward the weird unpleasant shape of these phones.
No I'm not wrong. You are failing to read what I wrote.

West Wing was shot on film. 6 of the 7 seasons were BROADCAST in HD. That does not mean the other season wasn't that means it wasn't BROADCAST in HD. Broadcast means how it was distributed on television.

If 35mm film had pixels, which it doesn't, it would be 3 to 12 million pixels per frame. 1920x1080 is about 2 million pixels so 35mm is actually better than the 1080 format.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No I'm not wrong. You are failing to read what I wrote.

West Wing was shot on film. 6 of the 7 seasons were BROADCAST in HD. That does not mean the other season wasn't that means it wasn't BROADCAST in HD. Broadcast means how it was distributed on television.

If 35mm film had pixels, which it doesn't, it would be 3 to 12 million pixels per frame. 1920x1080 is about 2 million pixels so 35mm is actually better than the 1080 format.
I said shows were made in hd b4 they were broadcast in hd. You proved my point. To this day you can watch it in hd but even though it was filmed the opening credits to this day for the 1st season are sd.

Bottom line is there was a MOVEMENT toward HD. Had a company without warning simply started building HD Tv's nobody would have purchased them because there would be nothing to watch on them. From day 1 if HD sales you could watch HD on DVD.

Are you predicting HTC, GOOGLE, Lg etc will all start building these weird phones now? I don't think so. We'll see who is right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463