Visit site
Stunning!
7483664e6f30efb822ce4c2f9ed6d6b5.jpg
f0b4db2f80db877cd4201662d7a747c1.jpg

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
But there is no big movement to this new standard. Why be the beta tester? This would be like. owning an HD TV before there was a single thing available in HD.

TV shows were produced in 16:9 for years before they were even available for viewing by any device. If all the games and movies and tv and youtube were already available in this format it would make sense.

When the "future" establishes a new standard and virtually everything is available in that standard THAT is when you change.

And by the way. It sucks to look at anything in this narrow view. Movies, tv, games whatever. Even if they fit they look stupid.

And yet people purchased 4K TV's long before there was content.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
And yet people purchased 4K TV's long before there was content.
But like HD there was a promise of it coming. Netflix has some 4k shows (not many) and I believe there are UHD dvd now? To be honest I don't think it is smart to buy one b4 4k becomes the standard. How long do you keep a phone? 2 years max? Will 2.05:1 be the standard for apps and games and Youtube within 2 years? I would prefer 16:9 simply because it looks better. There are however other features like HDMI and DeX and Miracast and 835 processor that I love.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
But like HD there was a promise of it coming. Netflix has some 4k shows (not many) and I believe there are UHD dvd now? To be honest I don't think it is smart to buy one b4 4k becomes the standard. How long do you keep a phone? 2 years max? Will 2.05:1 be the standard for apps and games and Youtube within 2 years? I would prefer 16:9 simply because it looks better. There are however other features like HDMI and DeX and Miracast and 835 processor that I love.

I'm going to change my answer. I chose the S8+ because I freaking love it. Are you satisfied?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to change my answer. I chose the S8+ because I freaking love it. Are you satisfied?
I'm not saying anybody shouldn't love it! There are things about it I love and I would definitely go with 8+ over 8 because it is wider

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, S8 is not big enough. IMHO even the S8+'s size is marginal, to the point that I may cancel my pre-order and wait for the Note 8. I want a 6" screen with a 16:9 ratio.

You won't get that with the Note series. The Note will follow the S8+. Traditionally the note has had bigger screens but not there are no more bezels to remove. This ratio is the new Norm.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
But there is no big movement to this new standard. Why be the beta tester? This would be like. owning an HD TV before there was a single thing available in HD.

TV shows were produced in 16:9 for years before they were even available for viewing by any device. If all the games and movies and tv and youtube were already available in this format it would make sense.

When the "future" establishes a new standard and virtually everything is available in that standard THAT is when you change.

And by the way. It sucks to look at anything in this narrow view. Movies, tv, games whatever. Even if they fit they look stupid.

I just spent time with the s8+ looking at videos and games. I have to disagree, you are way off base. They both looked stunning.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I never order. I buy in store. I'm waiting for Note 8. It it also is 2.05 to 1 aspect I will make a decision. I hope. it isn't bit Samsung tends to carry these trends like all of them have the curved edges now. I expect the Note 8 to look the same. Maybe bigger but the same ratio. If so I might even buy an S8+. I'm hoping there are enough complaints that they return to 16/9 like they returned to the removable sd card after removing it. The 835 processor sounds great so no question I will want some phone that has it. We'll see what Pixel 2 and LG V30 look like.

I am still attracted to Samsung because despite all I think it has the best snapshot camera. I like it better than Pixel.

Is HDMI disabled in S8/8+ as with 7 series?

Just looked it up. HDMI works! That's a big positive for me. There is an official Sammy adapter. The Dex Dock also looks interesting and Miracast is supported. Those are huge features for me.
This move isn't a Samsung thing. Other manufacturers are going to this as well. If it were just Samsung doing it I could see your point. The note will follow suit.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just spent time with the s8+ looking at videos and games. I have to disagree, you are way off base. They both looked stunning.
I'm glad you enjoyed them! I played in crop mode and lost half of score section on lower left but could still play. It was some game already installed at the ATT store. Smash was fine. No issues. As I said I like crop mode. I hate the black lines. Purists don't mind them. I use stretch mode on tv too when necessary. I like a full screen experience. At least there is an option to fill the screen.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The usual reasons. It's bigger, newer and more expensive.

And, primarily, to irritate people that think it's a poor choice.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This move isn't a Samsung thing. Other manufacturers are going to this as well. If it were just Samsung doing it I could see your point. The note will follow suit.
Bezeless phones are a movement. Whether this aspect ratio is a movement is yet to be seen. I am not the only one who finds this size odd. Easier for pocket carry. Worse for Excel. Gorgeous bright screen. I am thrilled HDMI isn't blocked like the 7 series. I do like led indicators. It will be interezting if iPhone 8, LG 30, Huawei etc follow suit.

And to stay on topic definitely 8+ for me not 8

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
For me the S8 was slightly narrower than my current S6 edge. I wanted a bigger screen for reading work emails, documents, etc., not necessarily watching movies and playing games. The S8 + is only slightly wider than my S6 edge but wider for me is better than narrower for me because that means bigger screen but still able to hold it comfortably in my hand and use it.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
That's a big thing. I had no idea. Sounds like I will be stuck with 2:1 whether I like it or not.

I had thoughts of going for the G6. Once the specs were released, I changed my mind. It's a nice phone, but I'd rather have the newer tech. LG needs to get out of the habit of always being a half step behind.

I also think people who want the smaller form factor will appreciate the larger screen on the S8. Those who normally purchase larger phones, will continue to do so.

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Size

That is one of the reasons I am sending back my G6. After coming from a Nexus 6 I've had a hard time getting used to a smaller phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800