Possible long term issues with the S8?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung phones always start out great when you first own it. But after updating the OS, it seems to slow down and lag. Or maybe it's just me? Also battery stops holding a charge after a good 8-12 months, not sure if it's the battery or software that's doing that. My only concern is owning it more than a year, will performance and everything be the same? Reason why I keep switching phones is because of those issues. For example, who remembers the S4 being a very fast phone? Try using that phone now with the updates, it's unusable.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Samsung phones always start out great when you first own it. But after updating the OS, it seems to slow down and lag. Or maybe it's just me? Also battery stops holding a charge after a good 8-12 months, not sure if it's the battery or software that's doing that. My only concern is owning it more than a year, will performance and everything be the same? Reason why I keep switching phones is because of those issues. For example, who remembers the S4 being a very fast phone? Try using that phone now with the updates, it's unusable.

Within 12 months, I'll have a new phone. Lol

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The S4 was one of the worst, I remember selling it after a week.

I don't think it's THE reason why I upgrade every 4-6 months but then again this is the reason why I never experienced any issues.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree. The S4 did seem to degrade quickly. But I don't know with today's tech, one would think things are better now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It is a concern. But it's not going to stop me from getting an S8 anymore than potential bootlooping isn't stopping folks from getting a G6.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The battery has been improved to not degrade as much in the S8. So, that shouldn't be an issue.
As far as slowing down because of the OS update, that could be the apps you have aren't optimized for the newer OS yet.
While a wipe is recommended, I would only go this route if you experienced excessive slowdowns or crashes.
Also, it could just be the luck of the draw. Sometimes, phones tend to "break" when the OS is update. No rhyme or reason for it.
I had one of these with my Note 4 on Verizon. I couldn't get a good signal anymore and it was draining my battery. A replacement worked fine.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The battery has been improved to not degrade as much in the S8. So, that shouldn't be an issue.
As far as slowing down because of the OS update, that could be the apps you have aren't optimized for the newer OS yet.
While a wipe is recommended, I would only go this route if you experienced excessive slowdowns or crashes.
Also, it could just be the luck of the draw. Sometimes, phones tend to "break" when the OS is update. No rhyme or reason for it.
I had one of these with my Note 4 on Verizon. I couldn't get a good signal anymore and it was draining my battery. A replacement worked fine.

Right. My S7 Edge still runs like a champ, and is faster than my former G6.

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree word by word. I am going through the same phase with my 13 months old s7 edge. It has slowed down. The battery backup has deteriorated. Even formatting the phone didn't help!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree word by word. I am going through the same phase with my 13 months old s7 edge. It has slowed down. The battery backup has deteriorated. Even formatting the phone didn't help!

The lag and jank on my wife's S7 edge worries me too. I've cleared her cache, rebooted, and done just about everything other than a FDR. Nothing seems to help. My 16 month old 6s Plus has aged much better. I LOVE the S8 but their history worries me, for sure.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
My 2008 car battery died 2 yrs ago. Fancy that. My 7yr old washing machine is still going strong. My 60yr old knees are pretty stuffed. My 1yr old s7edge is great. If your phone is stuffed before a yr old take it back. I'd be on to the ombudsman here in Australia. If u still can't get satisfaction then don't buy again, as I will never buy anything LG again - TV died after 6mths! Realistically tho, I'd replace phone every year or two just because I can & I like the new tech.

Last edited:

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
The lag and jank on my wife's S7 edge worries me too. I've cleared her cache, rebooted, and done just about everything other than a FDR. Nothing seems to help. My 16 month old 6s Plus has aged much better. I LOVE the S8 but their history worries me, for sure.
Gee, you really want to get that "jank" on yer wife's phone looked at. It may be contagious.

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
My 2008 car battery died 2 yrs ago. Fancy that. My 7yr old washing machine is still going strong. My 60yr old knees are pretty stuffed. My 1yr old s7edge is great. If your phone is stuffed before a yr old take it back. I'd be on to the ombudsman here in Australia. If u still can't get satisfaction then don't buy again, as I will never buy anything LG again - TV died after 6mths! Realistically tho, I'd replace phone every year or two just because I can & I like the new tech.

Samsung TVs ftw!

whosright

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what phone you are using now! If you have a S-5 or S-7 and are using an SD card, ( the S-6 does not have a SD card option) Go into Applications> App manager> then on each app look to see if it is stored on "internal storage" if it is tap that...If it can be moved to the SD card it will ask you if you want to change it...select change, it will then ask if you want to move it!. Tap MOVE. Some apps like facebook may take over a minute to move. It is over 250mb of storage. When they are done moving it will show it stored on external SD card...You can always move a app back to your device it you want too... Move all apps that allow it. Most Google & Samsung apps don't let you move them, but a lot of 3rd party apps do. This will speed up your phone & free up storage space on your device. Also go into settings>Tap internal storage> it will take a few seconds to calculate, then show you amount for photo's, files, etc...Scroll down to where you see "CASHED- DATA" If you never clear that you could have a couple of gigs or more...Tap Clear cashed data... It wont take long. I do this about every 3 to 4 weeks. If it is only a couple hundred megabyte's I don't worry about clearing it.. You may have to exit that setting & go back into it before it will show the cash has been cleared...Both these can speed up your phone & free up device space dramatically.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Also battery stops holding a charge after a good 8-12 months, not sure if it's the battery or software that's doing that.
If you regularly drag the battery down to less than 40% charge, it's you. Otherwise, run https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=B4qOPuB7 or https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector&token=fFHWHrNP (read https://docs.google.com/presentatio...t6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p if your phone isn't rooted) to determine what's causing the battery to drain so fast.

whosright

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what phone you are using now! If you have a S-5 or S-7 and are using an SD card, ( the S-6 does not have a SD card option) Go into Applications> App manager> then on each app look to see if it is stored on "internal storage" if it is tap that...If it can be moved to the SD card it will ask you if you want to change it...select change, it will then ask if you want to move it!. Tap MOVE. Some apps like facebook may take over a minute to move. It is over 250mb of storage. When they are done moving it will show it stored on external SD card...You can always move a app back to your device it you want too... Move all apps that allow it. Most Google & Samsung apps don't let you move them, but a lot of 3rd party apps do. This will speed up your phone & free up storage space on your device. Also go into settings>Tap internal storage> it will take a few seconds to calculate, then show you amount for photo's, files, etc...Scroll down to where you see "CASHED- DATA" If you never clear that you could have a couple of gigs or more...Tap Clear cashed data... It wont take long. I do this about every 3 to 4 weeks. If it is only a couple hundred megabyte's I don't worry about clearing it.. You may have to exit that setting & go back into it before it will show the cash has been cleared...Both these can speed up your phone & free up device space dramatically.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I agree. That's why I will no longer be buying Samsung.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan