04-16-2017 11:25 AM
38 12
tools
    Samsung phones always start out great when you first own it. But after updating the OS, it seems to slow down and lag. Or maybe it's just me? Also battery stops holding a charge after a good 8-12 months, not sure if it's the battery or software that's doing that. My only concern is owning it more than a year, will performance and everything be the same? Reason why I keep switching phones is because of those issues. For example, who remembers the S4 being a very fast phone? Try using that phone now with the updates, it's unusable.
    farhanmohd likes this.
    04-07-2017 01:55 PM
    I always refresh my device with factory reset and deleting unused apps to maintain the performance.
    04-07-2017 06:06 PM
    Samsung phones always start out great when you first own it. But after updating the OS, it seems to slow down and lag. Or maybe it's just me? Also battery stops holding a charge after a good 8-12 months, not sure if it's the battery or software that's doing that. My only concern is owning it more than a year, will performance and everything be the same? Reason why I keep switching phones is because of those issues. For example, who remembers the S4 being a very fast phone? Try using that phone now with the updates, it's unusable.
    Within 12 months, I'll have a new phone. Lol
    burrzoo, jshah500, bhatech and 1 others like this.
    04-07-2017 07:04 PM
    The S4 was one of the worst, I remember selling it after a week.

I don't think it's THE reason why I upgrade every 4-6 months but then again this is the reason why I never experienced any issues.
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    04-07-2017 07:27 PM
    I have to agree. The S4 did seem to degrade quickly. But I don't know with today's tech, one would think things are better now.
    04-07-2017 07:31 PM
    Erica mentions same concern at 9 minute mark. Sammys UI does have that sort of reputation but no one will really know with the S8

04-07-2017 08:04 PM
    It is a concern. But it's not going to stop me from getting an S8 anymore than potential bootlooping isn't stopping folks from getting a G6.
    04-07-2017 08:12 PM
    It is a concern. But it's not going to stop me from getting an S8 anymore than potential bootlooping isn't stopping folks from getting a G6.
    Actually I know former LG owners who won't buy the G6 for precisely that reason.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    04-08-2017 06:10 AM
    The battery has been improved to not degrade as much in the S8. So, that shouldn't be an issue.
    As far as slowing down because of the OS update, that could be the apps you have aren't optimized for the newer OS yet.
    While a wipe is recommended, I would only go this route if you experienced excessive slowdowns or crashes.
    Also, it could just be the luck of the draw. Sometimes, phones tend to "break" when the OS is update. No rhyme or reason for it.
    I had one of these with my Note 4 on Verizon. I couldn't get a good signal anymore and it was draining my battery. A replacement worked fine.
    04-08-2017 07:22 AM
    The battery has been improved to not degrade as much in the S8. So, that shouldn't be an issue.
    As far as slowing down because of the OS update, that could be the apps you have aren't optimized for the newer OS yet.
    While a wipe is recommended, I would only go this route if you experienced excessive slowdowns or crashes.
    Also, it could just be the luck of the draw. Sometimes, phones tend to "break" when the OS is update. No rhyme or reason for it.
    I had one of these with my Note 4 on Verizon. I couldn't get a good signal anymore and it was draining my battery. A replacement worked fine.
    Right. My S7 Edge still runs like a champ, and is faster than my former G6.
    04-08-2017 08:55 AM
    Maybe they also like copying the "planned obsolescence" feature mastered by Apple?
    04-08-2017 09:00 AM
    I totally agree word by word. I am going through the same phase with my 13 months old s7 edge. It has slowed down. The battery backup has deteriorated. Even formatting the phone didn't help!
    04-08-2017 01:55 PM
    I totally agree word by word. I am going through the same phase with my 13 months old s7 edge. It has slowed down. The battery backup has deteriorated. Even formatting the phone didn't help!
    The lag and jank on my wife's S7 edge worries me too. I've cleared her cache, rebooted, and done just about everything other than a FDR. Nothing seems to help. My 16 month old 6s Plus has aged much better. I LOVE the S8 but their history worries me, for sure.
    04-08-2017 02:54 PM
    My 2008 car battery died 2 yrs ago. Fancy that. My 7yr old washing machine is still going strong. My 60yr old knees are pretty stuffed. My 1yr old s7edge is great. If your phone is stuffed before a yr old take it back. I'd be on to the ombudsman here in Australia. If u still can't get satisfaction then don't buy again, as I will never buy anything LG again - TV died after 6mths! Realistically tho, I'd replace phone every year or two just because I can & I like the new tech.
    Gav508 likes this.
    04-08-2017 04:47 PM
    The lag and jank on my wife's S7 edge worries me too. I've cleared her cache, rebooted, and done just about everything other than a FDR. Nothing seems to help. My 16 month old 6s Plus has aged much better. I LOVE the S8 but their history worries me, for sure.
    Gee, you really want to get that "jank" on yer wife's phone looked at. It may be contagious.
    04-08-2017 04:49 PM
    My 2008 car battery died 2 yrs ago. Fancy that. My 7yr old washing machine is still going strong. My 60yr old knees are pretty stuffed. My 1yr old s7edge is great. If your phone is stuffed before a yr old take it back. I'd be on to the ombudsman here in Australia. If u still can't get satisfaction then don't buy again, as I will never buy anything LG again - TV died after 6mths! Realistically tho, I'd replace phone every year or two just because I can & I like the new tech.
    Samsung TVs ftw!
    experiment 626 likes this.
    04-08-2017 05:14 PM
    I don't know what phone you are using now! If you have a S-5 or S-7 and are using an SD card, ( the S-6 does not have a SD card option) Go into Applications> App manager> then on each app look to see if it is stored on "internal storage" if it is tap that...If it can be moved to the SD card it will ask you if you want to change it...select change, it will then ask if you want to move it!. Tap MOVE. Some apps like facebook may take over a minute to move. It is over 250mb of storage. When they are done moving it will show it stored on external SD card...You can always move a app back to your device it you want too... Move all apps that allow it. Most Google & Samsung apps don't let you move them, but a lot of 3rd party apps do. This will speed up your phone & free up storage space on your device. Also go into settings>Tap internal storage> it will take a few seconds to calculate, then show you amount for photo's, files, etc...Scroll down to where you see "CASHED- DATA" If you never clear that you could have a couple of gigs or more...Tap Clear cashed data... It wont take long. I do this about every 3 to 4 weeks. If it is only a couple hundred megabyte's I don't worry about clearing it.. You may have to exit that setting & go back into it before it will show the cash has been cleared...Both these can speed up your phone & free up device space dramatically.
    04-09-2017 03:10 AM
    Also battery stops holding a charge after a good 8-12 months, not sure if it's the battery or software that's doing that.
    If you regularly drag the battery down to less than 40% charge, it's you. Otherwise, run https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm or https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kelockdetector (read https://docs.google.com/presentation...i=1#slide=id.p if your phone isn't rooted) to determine what's causing the battery to drain so fast.
    Rumline likes this.
    04-09-2017 03:11 AM
    I don't know what phone you are using now! If you have a S-5 or S-7 and are using an SD card, ( the S-6 does not have a SD card option) Go into Applications> App manager> then on each app look to see if it is stored on "internal storage" if it is tap that...If it can be moved to the SD card it will ask you if you want to change it...select change, it will then ask if you want to move it!. Tap MOVE. Some apps like facebook may take over a minute to move. It is over 250mb of storage. When they are done moving it will show it stored on external SD card...You can always move a app back to your device it you want too... Move all apps that allow it. Most Google & Samsung apps don't let you move them, but a lot of 3rd party apps do. This will speed up your phone & free up storage space on your device. Also go into settings>Tap internal storage> it will take a few seconds to calculate, then show you amount for photo's, files, etc...Scroll down to where you see "CASHED- DATA" If you never clear that you could have a couple of gigs or more...Tap Clear cashed data... It wont take long. I do this about every 3 to 4 weeks. If it is only a couple hundred megabyte's I don't worry about clearing it.. You may have to exit that setting & go back into it before it will show the cash has been cleared...Both these can speed up your phone & free up device space dramatically.
    04-09-2017 03:12 AM
    I agree. That's why I will no longer be buying Samsung.
    04-09-2017 03:59 AM
    Make it 3 months for me haha
    04-12-2017 06:53 AM
    My S7 exynos edition didn't lag at all after 6 months.
    04-12-2017 01:27 PM
    I'm not sure where all these issues of lag come from. I'm not doubting they occur but I've had the S5, 6 and 7 and not experienced any more freezes or stutters than my previous iPhone.
    04-12-2017 01:36 PM
    Samsung TVs ftw!
    I've had our Samsung TV for the last 5 yrs and it runs beautiful. Same with my S5, as long as I focus on keeping my internal memory clean.
    04-12-2017 01:38 PM
    THIS is a concern for me. I certainly hope that the Snapdragon 835 with its 10nm architecture will help alleviate any issues with sluggish performance and poor battery life moving forward, however Sammy has a bit of a reputation for their phones degrading over time. If mine starts that stuff after 12 months its outta here...
    04-16-2017 01:13 AM
38 12