More people are buying the S8+ than the smaller S8

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Not surprised, went to Bestbuy this weekend to check it out and the S8+ isn't much taller than my S7 Edge with a think Tech 21 case on it. I think when people heard the 6.2" screen they imagined the phone was going to be huge but it's really not.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense considering the 5.8" device is really a 5.2" device in portrait mode as far as display width. If used to 5.7 standard displays, that is tiny. Even the 6.2" works out to a 5.4" device in regards to portrait width, so still smaller.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
As I said before, the S8 just feels really small, the S8+ feels much better in the hand imo, plus we are all used to big screen to take advantage of that wonderful display!

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
plus is way to long. held at best buy and even reviewers are claiming how hard it is to reach the top of the screen to pull down top shade. the 5.8 is what everyone over the past years has been clamoring for. a huge screen in a tiny frame for one handed use. Now that they have given it to you, you still want a bigger phone. some people can never be satisfied.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
To be honest I'm very surprised but at the same time not surprised. The Galaxy S7 Edge, at least in Africa, outsold the Galaxy S7 by a big margin. There were always stock issues with the S7 Edge since it was so popular. The reason I'm so surprised is because if everyone loved the screen size of the S7 Edge, then why not keep the same size and pick up the standard Galaxy S8? :)

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Makes sense considering the 5.8" device is really a 5.2" device in portrait mode as far as display width. If used to 5.7 standard displays, that is tiny. Even the 6.2" works out to a 5.4" device in regards to portrait width, so still smaller.

So watching 16:9 videos in landscape mode reduces the screen to what would traditionally be a 5.2 inch screen?

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
plus is way to long. held at best buy and even reviewers are claiming how hard it is to reach the top of the screen to pull down top shade. the 5.8 is what everyone over the past years has been clamoring for. a huge screen in a tiny frame for one handed use. Now that they have given it to you, you still want a bigger phone. some people can never be satisfied.

That's just your opinion. :)

I prefer the Plus. Giant screen, not too large of a body. For the 1% of the time I want to reach for the notification shade one-handed, I prefer the screen real estate.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup. People are more interested in the bigger Note/+ series than the regular, it seems. I, however, would go the S8 route if I had to choose between the two.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I went with the S8 but not because the plus was too big or looked too long. It actually felt real good to hold. I just thought I'd get the same phone in a smaller package and save some money. It's about the same size as the S7 edge which I'm using now.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I went with the S8 but not because the plus was too big or looked too long. It actually felt real good to hold. I just thought I'd get the same phone in a smaller package and save some money. It's about the same size as the S7 edge which I'm using now.

This ^

And from what I've read the smaller capacity battery shouldn't cause too much of a hit due to the new chip set and optimisation.

That said I'm also interested in the Note 8 so I'll be waiting until this is launched and used in the real world before pulling the trigger.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
^^^

That still wont solve the issue with reaching the fingerprint sensor which is already horribly placed but even more amplified by the length of the phone on the plus model. Pulling the shade down can be fixed like you stated but actually pressing the quick toggles in the notification shade cannot. You still have to reach for them and yes, I use the toggles multiple times on a daily basis so it would be a huge inconvenience.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
^^^

That still wont solve the issue with reaching the fingerprint sensor which is already horribly placed but even more amplified by the length of the phone on the plus model. Pulling the shade down can be fixed like you stated but actually pressing the quick toggles in the notification shade cannot. You still have to reach for them and yes, I use the toggles multiple times on a daily basis so it would be a huge inconvenience.
I played with the fingerprint sensor at best buy. You will have to flip the phone around, look and place finger until your brain memorizes the location. It's not a disaster as some say. Not as good as having it on the front but not that much of a problem.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Unless you put a case on it like 99% of the people out there do... Usually the case will give you a great idea of where the FPS is.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So watching 16:9 videos in landscape mode reduces the screen to what would traditionally be a 5.2 inch screen?
Yep, with black side bars unless you crop and that looks cruddy for most content unless you like stuff cut off. If you have a Note or other 5.7" device, compare. Even the 8+ is noticeably smaller with most content and the S8 / G6 are downright tiny in comparison.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think I will notice the black bars with the black front of the phone... it will just make the bezels look bigger while watching the content.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12