07-12-2017 08:07 PM
50 12
tools
    04-10-2017 02:51 PM
    Makes sense. That trend started with the S6 and grew with the S7.
    VW Maverick and JHStewart1023 like this.
    04-10-2017 03:18 PM
    I'm am I'm buying the +.
    04-10-2017 03:41 PM
    Not surprised, went to Bestbuy this weekend to check it out and the S8+ isn't much taller than my S7 Edge with a think Tech 21 case on it. I think when people heard the 6.2" screen they imagined the phone was going to be huge but it's really not.
    04-10-2017 05:11 PM
    Me too.
    04-10-2017 08:00 PM
    Makes sense considering the 5.8" device is really a 5.2" device in portrait mode as far as display width. If used to 5.7 standard displays, that is tiny. Even the 6.2" works out to a 5.4" device in regards to portrait width, so still smaller.
    recDNA likes this.
    04-11-2017 10:21 AM
    As I said before, the S8 just feels really small, the S8+ feels much better in the hand imo, plus we are all used to big screen to take advantage of that wonderful display!
    deadbeatles and JHStewart1023 like this.
    04-11-2017 10:44 AM
    I ordered the Plus here... love the Note series so I really don't like smaller phones!
    04-11-2017 10:45 AM
    plus is way to long. held at best buy and even reviewers are claiming how hard it is to reach the top of the screen to pull down top shade. the 5.8 is what everyone over the past years has been clamoring for. a huge screen in a tiny frame for one handed use. Now that they have given it to you, you still want a bigger phone. some people can never be satisfied.
    TheMadChemist and recDNA like this.
    04-11-2017 11:22 AM
    To be honest I'm very surprised but at the same time not surprised. The Galaxy S7 Edge, at least in Africa, outsold the Galaxy S7 by a big margin. There were always stock issues with the S7 Edge since it was so popular. The reason I'm so surprised is because if everyone loved the screen size of the S7 Edge, then why not keep the same size and pick up the standard Galaxy S8?
    04-11-2017 12:35 PM
    Makes sense considering the 5.8" device is really a 5.2" device in portrait mode as far as display width. If used to 5.7 standard displays, that is tiny. Even the 6.2" works out to a 5.4" device in regards to portrait width, so still smaller.
    So watching 16:9 videos in landscape mode reduces the screen to what would traditionally be a 5.2 inch screen?
    04-11-2017 12:39 PM
    plus is way to long. held at best buy and even reviewers are claiming how hard it is to reach the top of the screen to pull down top shade. the 5.8 is what everyone over the past years has been clamoring for. a huge screen in a tiny frame for one handed use. Now that they have given it to you, you still want a bigger phone. some people can never be satisfied.
    That's just your opinion.

I prefer the Plus. Giant screen, not too large of a body. For the 1% of the time I want to reach for the notification shade one-handed, I prefer the screen real estate.
    Norg likes this.
    04-11-2017 01:11 PM
    Yup. People are more interested in the bigger Note/+ series than the regular, it seems. I, however, would go the S8 route if I had to choose between the two.
    04-11-2017 01:55 PM
    I went with the S8 but not because the plus was too big or looked too long. It actually felt real good to hold. I just thought I'd get the same phone in a smaller package and save some money. It's about the same size as the S7 edge which I'm using now.
    04-12-2017 12:25 AM
    I went with the S8 but not because the plus was too big or looked too long. It actually felt real good to hold. I just thought I'd get the same phone in a smaller package and save some money. It's about the same size as the S7 edge which I'm using now.
    This ^

And from what I've read the smaller capacity battery shouldn't cause too much of a hit due to the new chip set and optimisation.

That said I'm also interested in the Note 8 so I'll be waiting until this is launched and used in the real world before pulling the trigger.
    EMGSM likes this.
    04-12-2017 02:06 AM
    ^^^

That still wont solve the issue with reaching the fingerprint sensor which is already horribly placed but even more amplified by the length of the phone on the plus model. Pulling the shade down can be fixed like you stated but actually pressing the quick toggles in the notification shade cannot. You still have to reach for them and yes, I use the toggles multiple times on a daily basis so it would be a huge inconvenience.
    thecaringkind likes this.
    04-12-2017 07:23 AM
    ^^^

That still wont solve the issue with reaching the fingerprint sensor which is already horribly placed but even more amplified by the length of the phone on the plus model. Pulling the shade down can be fixed like you stated but actually pressing the quick toggles in the notification shade cannot. You still have to reach for them and yes, I use the toggles multiple times on a daily basis so it would be a huge inconvenience.
    I played with the fingerprint sensor at best buy. You will have to flip the phone around, look and place finger until your brain memorizes the location. It's not a disaster as some say. Not as good as having it on the front but not that much of a problem.
    04-12-2017 08:34 AM
    Unless you put a case on it like 99% of the people out there do... Usually the case will give you a great idea of where the FPS is.
    RandyBoyz92 likes this.
    04-13-2017 02:06 PM
    So watching 16:9 videos in landscape mode reduces the screen to what would traditionally be a 5.2 inch screen?
    Yep, with black side bars unless you crop and that looks cruddy for most content unless you like stuff cut off. If you have a Note or other 5.7" device, compare. Even the 8+ is noticeably smaller with most content and the S8 / G6 are downright tiny in comparison.
    recDNA likes this.
    04-13-2017 02:32 PM
    I really don't think I will notice the black bars with the black front of the phone... it will just make the bezels look bigger while watching the content.
    FLY_TY likes this.
    04-13-2017 03:05 PM
    ^^^

Iris scanner or facial recognition problem solved
    FLY_TY likes this.
    04-13-2017 03:38 PM
    To me, other than going for the larger battery which in itself is mitigated by wireless and fast charging, it just didn't make sense to spend more money for a little bit more phone, so to speak. While the S8 is a tad narrower that actually helps it when it comes to one handed use and for my hands the S8 just felt much more comfortable. The plus felt unwieldy to a degree. I think we're starting to get silly when it comes to making phones larger and larger. The engineering feat that Sammy pulled off with the large screen and small footprint on the S8 should be plenty good enough for me. Then again, to each his/her own.
    Norg and blaine07 like this.
    04-15-2017 11:05 PM
    I'm happy I went with the S8. It's always been my dream to have a smaller phone with a larger screen and this is it! Easy to handle and still have screen to work with!
    04-16-2017 12:47 PM
    I went with the Plus too.

"No regerts"
    jma78b, blaine07 and Viscomi4444 like this.
    04-16-2017 01:16 PM
    I'm happy I went with the S8. It's always been my dream to have a smaller phone with a larger screen and this is it! Easy to handle and still have screen to work with!
    I only wish that it was just a little wider. Other than that, I'm glad I went with the S8.
    recDNA likes this.
    04-16-2017 04:11 PM
50 12