04-26-2017 07:12 AM
64 123
tools
    Well there you go, liberty mutual offers home computer coverage witch covers smart phones.
    There was a discount by going thru USAA but the premium was still higher than I currently pay and the deductible was $149 I think.

I'll stick to my $8/month and $50 deductible.
    ol_jackburton likes this.
    04-11-2017 05:42 PM
    Very interesting conversation. I guess there are many different ways to protect a mobile phone.

I wonder if there are any other reasonable methods to cover your mobile phone. Definitely worth a little research.

Maybe I will come out with an article on current methods to protect your mobile phone🙄
    04-12-2017 10:45 AM
    If anyone else has a different method they have used to protect their phones, please drop a comment.
    04-12-2017 11:00 AM
    I have an addendum to my homeowner's policy. $50 per year covers all personal articles up to $1100. I could increase it. That's for theft and loss. I may get Samsung care for a year or square trade. Samsung covers 3 replacements per year. The others are usually 2 replacements over 2 years. At least if I read it correctly.
    04-12-2017 11:37 AM
    Discussion of insurance on brand new devices makes me realize that I cannot afford to own this phone. I was just sitting here toying with the idea of upgrading next week, but you guys ruined it.

What is it really? It's all about perspective and what our individual budgets allow. The low monthly payments on installment plans are just a portion of the true cost of ownership. I know you all realize that, but many people don't.

They say, "I can pay $30 a month no problem." Well actually, in a perfect scenario...sure its possible. But people fail to realize, cost of insurance, deductibles, repairs. And the true cost of ownership can easily exceed $1,200. Then its more like $50 per month if the device gets damaged.
    04-12-2017 01:29 PM
    Discussion of insurance on brand new devices makes me realize that I cannot afford to own this phone. I was just sitting here toying with the idea of upgrading next week, but you guys ruined it.

What is it really? It's all about perspective and what our individual budgets allow. The low monthly payments on installment plans are just a portion of the true cost of ownership. I know you all realize that, but many people don't.

They say, "I can pay $30 a month no problem." Well actually, in a perfect scenario...sure its possible. But people fail to realize, cost of insurance, deductibles, repairs. And the true cost of ownership can easily exceed $1,200. Then its more like $50 per month if the device gets damaged.
    Most people will never use insurance. I've used insurance only once in 10 years.
    04-12-2017 01:42 PM
    @ 2:40 mark

04-12-2017 01:50 PM
    let me start by saying, I am NOT an Apple fan even a little bit, their phones and OS are just plain boring, but they have their handling of customer's issues handled, Samsung wants to charge you and call it "premium care" for real? my wife dropped her iphone and cracked the screen, since it was within the warranty period and there was no physical damage, they replaced the entire PHONE!!!!! Samsung wants to best Apple so badly, they could learn a thing or two here
    04-12-2017 02:45 PM
    let me start by saying, I am NOT an Apple fan even a little bit, their phones and OS are just plain boring, but they have their handling of customer's issues handled, Samsung wants to charge you and call it "premium care" for real? my wife dropped her iphone and cracked the screen, since it was within the warranty period and there was no physical damage, they replaced the entire PHONE!!!!! Samsung wants to best Apple so badly, they could learn a thing or two here
    that type of service is hit or miss, with just the standard warranty. i have bought apple care with most of my iphones, and it is an outstanding service. if the premium samsung service was a one time fee (around $150) i wold buy it. as it is i am not spending $12 a month on it.
    04-12-2017 06:29 PM

Just don't break it. I don't break mine so I don't pay anything extra.
    04-12-2017 11:09 PM
    I wonder how many people don't take out any coverage at all 🤔

I myself could not take a chance on not having any coverage at all. I can afford to make payments over a period of time, but it would be a lot harder if I had to replace the phone at cost if it was damaged, expecially if I just go it.

I would recommend that everyone takes out Samsung Premium Care for the first month. It is free for the first month and can be cancelled at any time.
    Surely couldn't hurt anyways.

It would be nice to have that extra coverage even it's just for a month, especially if you get your phone damaged in the first month, ouch!
    04-12-2017 11:27 PM
    With a nice case and tempered glass chances of damaging the phone is highly unlikely.
    04-12-2017 11:33 PM
    yeah lol go ahead and live by that! I personally have had a ton of smart phones since 2010, never once broke any of them, until the day after I pre-ordered the S8, when I dropped my S7 Edge cracking the screen
    04-13-2017 08:15 AM
    yeah lol go ahead and live by that! I personally have had a ton of smart phones since 2010, never once broke any of them, until the day after I pre-ordered the S8, when I dropped my S7 Edge cracking the screen
    Lol I have insurance, but I'm saying, I've never had to pay for a repair or a deductible. I never break them. I treat my phones like babies. Could it happen? Sure. But I certainly won't decide not to upgrade because it could cost too much if I break the phone. I always have a backup phone for just in case as well. Just never needed any of it.
    04-13-2017 08:29 AM
    You should have had some protection on the screen.
    04-13-2017 08:42 AM
    You should have had some protection on the screen.
    are you saying a screen protector would have stopped it from cracking? lol, it was cracking either way, I had a case on it, albeit a minimal case, it landed directly on the corner, which is pretty much a guaranteed screen death sentence
    04-13-2017 12:08 PM
    are you saying a screen protector would have stopped it from cracking? lol, it was cracking either way, I had a case on it, albeit a minimal case, it landed directly on the corner, which is pretty much a guaranteed screen death sentence
    That's what I'm saying. Unless you dropped from an unusual height a tempered glass would save it. Happened to me.
    04-13-2017 12:09 PM
    That's what I'm saying. Unless you dropped from an unusual height a tempered glass would save it. Happened to me.
    Tempered glass has saved some of my past phones but I haven't been using them on these edge devices cause they don't seem to work that well.
    04-13-2017 12:14 PM
    Maybe get a better case? I've dropped my S6 Edge many times and my toddler has thrown it against bricks and no damage, although the phone did bend very slightly, to the point that it "rocks" now when laying on a flat surface. I use TPU/PC bumper cases like the Neo Hybrid from Spigen.
    04-13-2017 12:28 PM
    I started carrying insurance on my phones after my xwifes toddler got ahold of one and put it in the dogs water dish. Then years later my current wife dropped her s5 in the toilet so if filed 2 claims but have since and always will carry coverage.

To me saying you don't need insurance on your phone, "just don't drop it" is a lot like saying you don't need car insurance, just don't wreck it!
    04-14-2017 06:43 PM
    I started carrying insurance on my phones after my xwifes toddler got ahold of one and put it in the dogs water dish. Then years later my current wife dropped her s5 in the toilet so if filed 2 claims but have since and always will carry coverage.

To me saying you don't need insurance on your phone, "just don't drop it" is a lot like saying you don't need car insurance, just don't wreck it!
    Cars are expensive. We're talking thousands of dollars not to mention medical bills if someone is hurt. Phones cost less than a thousand and can be repaired for a couple hundred. Totally different.
    04-14-2017 07:18 PM
    Ended up getting squaretrade. As soon as I get the phone, I'll activate the plan. I usually don't get any type of insurance. But with the phone being all glass, I felt it was necessary....if anyone else is interested , "Easter25" will give you 25% off any plan. Or, you can call and ask for 30% (wheel and deal).....
    04-15-2017 03:22 PM
    If anyone else has a different method they have used to protect their phones, please drop a comment.
    I use this. It's the cheapest option I could find. They cover everything outside manufacture defect. It covers drops, dead phone, water damage, and stolen/lost phone. It was $73 for my G6 and it'll be I think $74 when my S8 arrives for 1 year insurance. The deductible is $50.
    https://www.worthavegroup.com/produc...one-insurance/
    LineKill likes this.
    04-16-2017 07:45 AM
    I bought the Samsung Protection Elite plan for my S6 which was $199 for 2 years (I believe) and Samsung would refund a prorated amount if you ever cancelled the protection. So, I thought it was a good deal if I ever upgraded my phone I could get some of the insurance back as a refund. When I got my S7, I tried contacting Samsung about the prorated refund and I got the run around big time. Apparently Samsung switched who their insurance carrier was for this plan and they basically said they wouldn't honor the partial refund. It ended up being only $30 refund, so I just blew it off. But, it put a really bad taste in my mouth regarding Samsung insurance plans.
    04-16-2017 09:52 AM
    I use this. It's the cheapest option I could find. They cover everything outside manufacture defect. It covers drops, dead phone, water damage, and stolen/lost phone. It was $73 for my G6 and it'll be I think $74 when my S8 arrives for 1 year insurance. The deductible is $50.
    https://www.worthavegroup.com/produc...one-insurance/
    I've never heard of this group. Have you used it before or know of anyone who has had to file a claim? It looks very promising.
    04-16-2017 11:02 AM
64 123