Is anybody else unhappy with 18.5:9 aspect ratio?

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Going to have to get used to it. I really like the fact that you can use it comfortably with one hand when texting (no more reaching your thumb to the max). Went with the S8+ because the S8 still felt small for some reason, and also the bigger battery.

I agree for some reason the S8 felt small maybe because I'm coming from the S7 edge

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
In order for Samsung to maintain 18.5:9 ratio, if they widen the phone, the phone will get even taller. I hate to say it but they are going with the 18:9 trend and my guess is that they do not want to widen the phone any more because they feel that the width of it is the maximum comfortable width to hold in one hand. Since the Note is more thought of as a two handed phone, maybe they can widen it but they'll just have to make it longer as well to maintain that ratio, and I do believe that ratio is here to stay. This all has to do with maintaining that ratio and you just can't stretch it one way without stretching the other way as well.

you act as if samsung started at the 18.5:9 ratio,,, I disagree and guarantee you the Note 8 will be wider as well as the s9 and s9+......

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
you act as if samsung started at the 18.5:9 ratio,,, I disagree and guarantee you the Note 8 will be wider as well as the s9 and s9+......

You think this ratio will only last for this phone and they will be going back to 16:9 or same ratio but just wider?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't know what you mean by "you act as if samsung started at the 18.5:9 ratio". I said that I believe they are going to keep this ratio and like I said in my post, if they make the Note 8 or s9/9+ wider, the screen will get taller as well to maintain the ratio. I don't think they are going to abandon the ratio after one shot. You act as if I said that they were not going to widen the Note.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it was a little small but soon as I put on a case, it will be back to the width of the S7 edge (just about).

True 2 of the 3 cases I just got are of the the thin fit variety I'm trying to add the least amount of bulk possible

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Seems the Note 8 will be the same display width as the Note 7, but with the stretch. The extra footprint would afford both the pen and the consistently rumored stereo speakers on the top and bottom.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
why?? you can adjust the width to compensate for the half inch. what sammy has done is very misleading to the mind. it appears bigger but in reality its not. again. the s8/s8+ looked like a small fry toy next to the mate 9 imho ...... that said! i'm sure it will be an outstanding phone if thats your thing. i'll wait for the note ;) ....

To accommodate the half inch, you would probably need to make the phone an inch wider. Samsung wants a phone that the majority of the population can operate with one hand. I don't particularly like the 18.5:9 aspect ratio, but it will not be 16:9 again if they want to have a huge screen to body ratio.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Of course you can get rid of the physical buttons without shifting to weird aspect ratios. Samsung was the first OEM to do it in 2011 with the Galaxy Nexus. Soft keys, 16:9" aspect ratio, no gimmicks anywhere. Lots of stuff not great about that phone, but it might be their best designed phone to date.... Which is a scary statement, but possibly true.
The Galaxy Nexus has bigger top and bottom bezels. If they were to take away the bezels on the Galaxy Nexus, it wouldn't be 16:9 anymore.
The OEMs are trying to improve the visual aspect of the phone, not to be stuck in 2012.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus has bigger top and bottom bezels. If they were to take away the bezels on the Galaxy Nexus, it wouldn't be 16:9 anymore.
The OEMs are trying to improve the visual aspect of the phone, not to be stuck in 2012.
Agree with you there, but you can slim bezels without changing the aspect ratio. See LG G2, Nexus 6, etc.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

This pretty much nails it. For a few percent of video content the rest will be smaller. Even if Apple went wide (probably will not) the vast majority of content is legacy and would be small.

For folks that like it Cool, but seems an unoptimized ratio for anything but the few percent of video that is. Not to mention Gear VR content will have less pixels due to the wider design. Inner pupil distance is not going to go wider, so less pixels in visual range for VR.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
The post tittle says is any body unhappy with ratio, we'll were going to find out this week when everyone gets there phone

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Agree with you there, but you can slim bezels without changing the aspect ratio. See LG G2, Nexus 6, etc.
The G2 does not have the smallest bezels top and bottom and is wider than the S8.
The Nexus 6 is a brick - much wider than the the S8+ and has a pretty meaty top bezel.
Let's say they use the G2 width. To reduce the top and bottom bezels, you would get a weird, probably 17:9 ratio.
This is the Nexus 6 next to the Note 4 (which is wider than the S8+ as well.
Samsung wants to keep their S line their mainstream flagship.
Maybe they'll do something different with the Note8.
2c1063c2e091aad0699214857abf56a9.jpg

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The G2 does not have the smallest bezels top and bottom and is wider than the S8.
The Nexus 6 is a brick - much wider than the the S8+ and has a pretty meaty top bezel.
Let's say they use the G2 width. To reduce the top and bottom bezels, you would get a weird, probably 17:9 ratio.
This is the Nexus 6 next to the Note 4 (which is wider than the S8+ as well.
Samsung wants to keep their S line their mainstream flagship.
Maybe they'll do something different with the Note8.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/2c1063c2e091aad0699214857abf56a9.jpg

Sorry, what I meant is that you don't have to extend the screen to reduce bezels. You can simply slim down the phone, leaving the screen alone.

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Err, yes it would. 16:9 refers to the screen aspect ratio, so shrinking the bezels makes no difference to that.

Of course the phone would have a little less internal space, so something would have to be cut down, but there would be nothing technically to have stopped Samsung making a flat-screened 16:9 phone with top/bottom bezels cut down to S8-like dimensions. However, Samsung have decided that curved screens are what sell best, and that the longer form-factor has advantages. For someone like me, who hates wide phones, and reads information rather than watches videos, the longer/narrower form factor is better (though the curved screen increases vulnerability for no functional gain). But I suspect that the marketing advantage of claiming bigger screen dimension was more important to their choice (a trick the curved edges also help with).

Blackhwk77

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
The trend is larger phone screens and you can only go so wide before it is uncomfortable to hold. It makes sense they are going taller because that is the only direction they can go without changing the ergonomics of the phone too much. I really liked the narrower Note 7 and missed it when I had to go back to my Note 4.