Is anybody else unhappy with 18.5:9 aspect ratio?

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiosity I just calculated that if Samsung had gone 2:1 rather than 18.5:9 and kept the screen widths the same then the S8 would have been half way between the S7 and S8 in length (145.4mm), which is comparable enough to other non-phablet handsets that it might not have received so much comment. The S8+ would still have been taller than the Note 7 though.

It's not clear to me why they thought that 18.5:9 was better. I don't think it's a given that the Note 8 won't be relatively wider - since the S8+ is already 6mm taller than any previous Note I'd personally think that widening while keeping the same height (or less??) would make more sense than just scaling up.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
what sammy has done is very misleading to the mind. it appears bigger but in reality its not. again. the s8/s8+ looked like a small fry toy next to the mate 9 imho ......
It is misleading. When I first saw the S8+, I really was convinced that the screen is visibly narrower than what I'm used to (5.7" 16:9 display). But last week I went back to BB to do extensive comparison between the Mate 9, the S8+, and my current S6 Edge+. I brought up several webpages on each device and compared them side-by-side. At the same zoom/font sizes, the Mate 9 could fit one more 2-letter word on each line of text than the other phones. Images looked very slightly larger on the Mate 9 as well. But the differences between my S6 Edge+ and the S8+ were almost indistinguishable.

I think the taller aspect ratio and the extremely thin bezels on the S8s create the illusion that they are much narrower than they really are. But when you focus exclusively on the screen and its contents, it's wide enough. I still almost bought the Mate 9, but I would have had to give up Verizon, which was a bridge too far for me.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I completely agree, and I would really prefer a screen with the dimensions of the Mate 9 as well. Ultimately, screen size is just one factor in how much people enjoy a phone. At the end of my comparisons I felt that the S8+ won overall but there were a lot of pluses and minuses; the screen width, while adequate, fell into the minus column for me.

Re: the language, I understand some Hungarian (several family members are from Hungary) but not enough to really follow the video. Reminds me that I want to learn more.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I feel these new screen sizes are kinda deceptive and misleading...

How so? Because you have a preconception of how they should have looked? Screen sizes have always been measured diagonally. Always. And that goes back to the 1930s when TVs first came out.

By your definition of deceptive we should then consider all flat screen TV measurements as deceptive as a 36" flat screen has much less real estate than an old style 36" tube display.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have said this before I also believe it's misleading, and this is not a criticism just an observation

It's not any more misleading than TVs. A 32" tube TV has 491 square inches while a 32" flat screen TV has 439 square inches. Would you consider the Flat TV's measurements as deceptive?

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It's not any more misleading than TVs. A 32" tube TV has 491 square inches while a 32" flat screen TV has 439 square inches. Would you consider the Flat TV's measurements as deceptive?

To a certain extent it is I don't think it's a deal breaker but you are getting less square area therefore it's not exactly the same as advertised

And as for TV I believe shows are not shot in the aspect ratio as before therefore with current content you're better if with a more rectangular flat screen that the square tube TV even though they are the same diagonal length

Some of this does depend on what aspect ration the content is in

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Sure. As many have said, it's not a deal breaker but it comes down to understanding what 5.8" and 6.2" is in a 2:1 ratio compared to what has recently been the "standard" 16:9.

Initially I heard 5.8" and bezeless I thought, fantastic, more area than a iPhone 7+ at 5.5" but since bezeless they will keep the footprint smaller. When I saw it first hand I was still amazed, "wow so thin! and 5.8"!" And it is an impressive screen. But just a matter over time you come to an understanding... it's a S7 5.1" screen or a iPhone 6 4.7" screen lengthened 1".

Still very nice. But, for me, meh. So now I prefer the wider + model... but the 1" lengthened on that puts it into phablet territory.

I don't know if this 2:1 will be a standard. If the movie industry doesnt adopt it then maybe it won't. We'll see.

As far as TVs... it would be like Samung selling a 65" TV in 2:1 but because they get the measurement stretching it out, it basically has the height of a 45" TV and you're stuck with black columns on both sides watching movies. But you can tell your friends, "Look at my 65" 2:1 TV!" Meh.

How so? Because you have a preconception of how they should have looked?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Sure. As many have said, it's not a deal breaker but it comes down to understanding what 5.8" and 6.2" is in a 2:1 ratio compared to what has recently been the "standard" 16:9.

Initially I heard 5.8" and bezeless I thought, fantastic, more area than a iPhone 7+ at 5.5" but since bezeless they will keep the footprint smaller. When I saw it first hand I was still amazed, "wow so thin! and 5.8"!" And it is an impressive screen. But just a matter over time you come to an understanding... it's a S7 5.1" screen or a iPhone 6 4.7" screen lengthened 1".

Still very nice. But, for me, meh. So now I prefer the wider + model... but the 1" lengthened on that puts it into phablet territory.

I don't know if this 2:1 will be a standard. If the movie industry doesnt adopt it then maybe it won't. We'll see.

As far as TVs... it would be like Samung selling a 65" TV in 2:1 but because they get the measurement stretching it out, it basically has the height of a 45" TV and you're stuck with black columns on both sides watching movies. But you can tell your friends, "Look at my 65" 2:1 TV!" Meh.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that my wife and three daughters have absolutely no clue as to the size of the screen on their phone. It's absolutely, positively a non-issue. Really.

As to the movie industry: Movies are filmed in 2.35:1 ratio (21:9). There will still be black bars on the S8+ unless the movie is modified to fit the screen. Eventually, I predict, phones will also become 2:35:1. So, if you don't like 18.5:9 you're going to hate the future.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you with absolute certainty that my wife and three daughters have absolutely no clue as to the size of the screen on their phone. It's absolutely, positively a non-issue. Really.

As to the movie industry: Movies are filmed in 2.35:1 ratio (21:9). There will still be black bars on the S8+ unless the movie is modified to fit the screen. Eventually, I predict, phones will also become 2:35:1. So, if you don't like 18.5:9 you're going to hate the future.

Absolutely! I couldn't care less. If I like the screen, I like the screen. End of conversation.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
How so? Because you have a preconception of how they should have looked? Screen sizes have always been measured diagonally. Always. And that goes back to the 1930s when TVs first came out.

By your definition of deceptive we should then consider all flat screen TV measurements as deceptive as a 36" flat screen has much less real estate than an old style 36" tube display.

There was an article pointing out only one percent of image and video content being optimal for the display. Apple is not going this direction, so the S8 and G6 ratio is a tiny fraction of content. Factor in Gear VR will have less pixels within the inner pupil distance range, even less optimized content.

Samsung went this way for one hand fit, rather than optimizing content. Hopefully the Note 8 stays with two hand premise due to a the pen.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This aspect ratio deal is turning into a bigger "problem" than it is. Developers will quickly adapt and over come the issue. 2-3 months it may be a issue; after that it'll be non existent and everyone will move on to the next thing to complain about.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
This aspect ratio deal is turning into a bigger "problem" than it is. Developers will quickly adapt and over come the issue. 2-3 months it may be a issue; after that it'll be non existent and everyone will move on to the next thing to complain about.

All this could be avoided if Android would just sit back and wait for Apple to make these changes first. Ugh... I miss the days when everyone just copied Apple!

Instead of these weird aspect ratio changes, Samsung should have just released the same phone again this year and removed the headphone jack instead. /s

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yep. That's just how things are. I just adapt and overcome...at least try to.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Apple is not going this direction

Apple is a follower, not a leader when it comes to displays. They were the last to shift from 4:3 to 16:9. They are still on LCD and not OLED. They are still on flat bezeled screens and not curved displays. Apple will have a curved OLED display this fall. They follow Samsung in almost all aspects of phone design. They have since 2011. I expect that Apple will also have taller displays, just not in this decade.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Apple is a follower, not a leader when it comes to displays. They were the last to shift from 4:3 to 16:9. They are still on LCD and not OLED. They are still on flat bezeled screens and not curved displays. Apple will have a curved OLED display this fall. They follow Samsung in almost all aspects of phone design. They have since 2011. I expect that Apple will also have taller displays, just not in this decade.
Curved it's still a thing that doesn't seem to solve any problems and introduces many problems

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Most content is not optimized, nor will it be unless the install base grows. These devices are a tiny fraction compared to the standard 16:9. Image, video and web content will stay as is. Apple would help some, but they are not going wide.

Samsung did not do this for content experience, but more to do with one hand use perception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol