Hello,

What is the best way to backup contacts? I currently have the Galaxy S7 Edge w/ T-mobile & pre-ordered the Galaxy S8 Plus through T-mobile.

I don't want to download all the contacts I have with my Gmail account, just want to keep the exact contacts on my current device. Normally the person at the store does it, but this is the first time I pre-ordered & having it shipped. So whay would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks!
    04-14-2017 09:53 AM
    Samsung smart switch in the play store
    rjnsmith likes this.
    04-14-2017 10:07 AM
    When you sign in to your Gmail acct on your new phone all your contacts are there. The Contact app will reflect them. No action needed.

Nevermind
    jakebake likes this.
    04-14-2017 10:12 AM
    If you have your contacts on Google, as you should, just like in any Android device once you enter your Google information on your new phone your contacts will sync to the new one.

If you are talking about ringtones and other custom settings by contact, it's never an exact science on Android, your best bet would be to also export your Google contacts to the Samsung account ( you can simply shows the google account contacts and not all, don't be afraid to have them in all possible Cloud accounts) and see if by doing this it helps a little more when using the Smart Switch tool when setting up the new phone for the first time.
    04-14-2017 10:16 AM
    I do both Gmail sync (it's automatic with a Gmail account) and I put Samsung's Smartwatch app on my desktop and synced my S6 to it.

I know I did the sync, but I can't seem to find all my stuff on my desktop now. When I open Smartswitch back up it wants me to plug in my phone again. I was expecting it to open up like iTunes does and allow me to see what it synced but that's not the case.

Anyone know where I can go to see what it saved?
    04-14-2017 10:17 AM
    When you sign in to your Gmail acct on your new phone all your contacts are there. The Contact app will reflect them. No action needed.
    Everyone should reread his post. He says he doesn't want his current Gmail contacts. Strictly what is currently on the device. My question would be are the contacts currently in your line saved to SIM or something else.
    04-14-2017 10:18 AM
    He could get all his Gmail contacts then go thru his phone and remove the ones he doesn't want maybe.
    04-14-2017 10:23 AM
    Everyone should reread his post. He says he doesn't want his current Gmail contacts. Strictly what is currently on the device. My question would be are the contacts currently in your line saved to SIM or something else.
    He should most like just have the "Contacts to display" option in Settings set to an specific account other than Google's.

But definitely, all Google contacts will sync to his new phone no matter what, what he just needs to do is to check what is his current setting and repeat it in the new phone.
    04-14-2017 10:23 AM
    He could get all his Gmail contacts then go thru his phone and remove the ones he doesn't want maybe.
    That's the thing, it seems that he didn't remove any contacts, because if he did, then he no longer have them on his Google account so nothing to be worry about then, so what it sounds to me it's just a "Contacts to display" setting, and most likely he is using Phone or Sim card contacts to show, hence the importance to backup or simply transfer those using Smart Switch, otherwise, he will just lose them.
    04-14-2017 10:25 AM
    While Samsung will do it, I'd download one of the various back up apps from the Play store and back up a file to the cloud. Then download the app again when you get your new phone and grab your clouded file. If you have specific ringtones, it is very unlikely to work unless those specific ringtones (and location) are identical on the new phone.
    04-14-2017 10:28 AM
    Y u no sync contacts to cloud??
    04-14-2017 11:07 AM
    Hello,

What is the best way to backup contacts? I currently have the Galaxy S7 Edge w/ T-mobile & pre-ordered the Galaxy S8 Plus through T-mobile.

I don't want to download all the contacts I have with my Gmail account, just want to keep the exact contacts on my current device. Normally the person at the store does it, but this is the first time I pre-ordered & having it shipped. So whay would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks!
    Go to T-Mobile when your phone gets there and have them do it before you set it up. You could also go to a Best Buy store if they have a Samsung section in there.
    04-14-2017 11:59 AM
    I'll echo syncing all of your contacts to Google.
    04-14-2017 12:34 PM
    I just export it from my contacts list. Contacts > Setting > Export.
    04-14-2017 01:32 PM
    CM Backup. Easy to use and you select exactly what you want to backup. Install it on the old phone and back everything up, and then it should automatically install on the new phone once you put in your google account info.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...inshan.kbackup
    04-15-2017 04:55 AM
    As I value my own privacy and that of people whose contacts I have on my phone I would never install a Cheetah Mobile app.

I expect that Smart Switch will do it, otherwise as echo_808 says just "export" them from the current phone's contacts app, copy the vcf to your new phone then "import" that. And keep a copy of the vcf on another device so you have a backup in case anything happens to your phone. For non-cloud contacts that's all that's needed.
    04-15-2017 05:44 AM
    I just export it from my contacts list. Contacts > Setting > Export.
    Thanks, gonna try to go with this!
    04-15-2017 05:28 PM