58 123
tools
    Why on Earth would they do that!?
    Because #Jerks .
    04-17-2017 07:43 PM
    Because #Jerks .
    Lol
    04-17-2017 08:28 PM
    I doubt there would be an "outcry" that matters over this. Small number of people on tech forums are really meaningless in the grand scheme of Galaxy Phone development.
    If you can turn it off, maybe. If not, accidentally activating it would get old quickly.
    xsikal and pjniez like this.
    04-17-2017 08:39 PM
    Hopefully you can disable it in the applications menu under setting.
    pjniez likes this.
    04-17-2017 08:43 PM
    I would think things like the bixby button and anything samsung does to default bixby to on would be ripe for antitrust charges, much like windows and its browser.
    04-17-2017 09:09 PM
    When was the last time a phone manufacturer did that? Seems like a first. Maybe someone did a dedicated camera button? Even Steve Jobs wouldn't mess up an iPhone with a dedicated SIRI button.
    Amazon Fire phone. Nokia Asha phone for Whatsapp. HTC First.
    04-17-2017 10:04 PM
    So I'm confused. If you disable Bixby in the settings, and you press the side button it does nothing? Or, pressing that button launches Bixby no matter what?
    04-17-2017 10:37 PM
    I believe that the position of the Bixby button will frustrate the heck out of people because it will constantly be pressed accidentally.
    xsikal and alhc78 like this.
    04-17-2017 10:41 PM
    I believe that the position of the Bixby button will frustrate the heck out of people because it will constantly be pressed accidentally.
    Yes, if you can't disable it when you don't want it.
    04-17-2017 10:56 PM
    I still think it should be remappable for those who don't care about Bixby or any other AI-based personal assistant.

Not everyone in my circles are aware that their phones have Google Assistant, or even Google Now for that matter. So I doubt Bixby will help bring AI-based PAs into the mainstream because from my viewpoint, Bixby just doesn't have that one killer feature that makes a lot of people go all "Wow! I need this in my life!".
    xsikal likes this.
    04-18-2017 09:02 AM
    I still think it should be remappable for those who don't care about Bixby or any other AI-based personal assistant.

Not everyone in my circles are aware that their phones have Google Assistant, or even Google Now for that matter. So I doubt Bixby will help bring AI-based PAs into the mainstream because from my viewpoint, Bixby just doesn't have that one killer feature that makes a lot of people go all "Wow! I need this in my life!".
    Very true, which may explain why the physical button was actually necessary, at least from Samsung's perspective. No way ordinary folks will miss this feature now.
    04-18-2017 09:13 AM
    Very true, which may explain why the physical button was actually necessary, at least from Samsung's perspective. No way ordinary folks will miss this feature now.
    Honestly, I am fearing that people might actually find that button cumbersome, as an accidental press could fire up Bixby unintentionally.

Not a lot of Galaxy users are considered tech-savvy, so that Bixby button might require some explanation.
    04-18-2017 09:15 AM
    When was the last time a phone manufacturer did that? Seems like a first. Maybe someone did a dedicated camera button? Even Steve Jobs wouldn't mess up an iPhone with a dedicated SIRI button.
    Though it's strictly AT&T, the Galaxy S7 Active has it's "Active" key (which, btw, is mappable) just above the volume rocker - normally, it brings up a handy "Active" Screen but it can be remapped to any programs the user chooses AND in "Short Press", "Long Press" and "Double Press" scenarios so you actually have three choices!!! Hello, Samsung?
    donm527 likes this.
    04-18-2017 09:33 AM
    Apparently they also deactivated Google Now voice activation
    04-18-2017 09:36 AM
    Honestly, I am fearing that people might actually find that button cumbersome, as an accidental press could fire up Bixby unintentionally.

Not a lot of Galaxy users are considered tech-savvy, so that Bixby button might require some explanation.
    Which is why you have to have the ability to disable it.
    04-18-2017 09:37 AM
    I have not seen any indication you can disable the button.

I don't think you can disable the swipe left from the home page into Bixby... at least by Samsung.

So you can disable bloatware... but not Bixby

Which is why you have to have the ability to disable it.
    04-18-2017 09:49 AM
    I have not seen any indication you can disable the button.

I don't think you can disable the swipe left from the home page into Bixby... at least by Samsung.

So you can disable bloatware... but not Bixby
    I have not seen anyone confirm or deny it yet, because as of now, Bixby isn't completely ready anyway lol
    04-18-2017 10:00 AM
    Hopefully you can disable it in the applications menu under setting.
    On the phones I played with at BB and Verizon stores, the various Bixby apps (there are 3 or 4) are not disable-able through the Application Manager.
    04-18-2017 11:11 AM
    It's amazing how Bixby has generated so much discussion. Would it be the same had there not been a dedicated button? As I said from the beginning, it was a big risk for Samsung to do this.
    04-18-2017 11:24 AM
    It's amazing how Bixby has generated so much discussion. Would it be the same had there not been a dedicated button? As I said from the beginning, it was a big risk for Samsung to do this.
    It wasn't a big risk. It was the Samsung of old shining through again. S-Voice anyone? No one ever used it so I guess they thought: hey, why the heck don't we make it even more invasive and give it a stupid name? And a dedicated button that'll annoy the shnikies out of people? And why do we do it? Because we wouldn't be Samsung if we didn't put a superfluous, crappy and annoying as frak feature in every otherwise extremely attractive handset we sell.

Why did they have to do this? We already have Amazon Echo, Google Home and Microsoft's Cortana on Android. All of these are leaps and bounds better than anything that has ever come out of Samsung software-wise. And Bixby will be yet another thing that'll keep Samsung from releasing timely updates as it's so deeply integrated in the phone. As Samsung has the tendency to never release security updates for some people, it's also a complete security nightmare.

Honestly, I've been looking forward to the S8+ ever since it's been announced, but I think after having thought about it today, I'll cancel my pre-order and go with an LG G6 instead, despite the latter's slow camera software and more boring design. Damn you Bixby. Damn you.
    xsikal and EMGSM like this.
    04-18-2017 12:16 PM
    It wasn't a big risk. It was the Samsung of old shining through again. S-Voice anyone? No one ever used it so I guess they thought: hey, why the heck don't we make it even more invasive and give it a stupid name? And a dedicated button that'll annoy the shnikies out of people? And why do we do it? Because we wouldn't be Samsung if we didn't put a superfluous, crappy and annoying as frak feature in every otherwise extremely attractive handset we sell.

Why did they have to do this? We already have Amazon Echo, Google Home and Microsoft's Cortana on Android. All of these are leaps and bounds better than anything that has ever come out of Samsung software-wise. And Bixby will be yet another thing that'll keep Samsung from releasing timely updates as it's so deeply integrated in the phone. As Samsung has the tendency to never release security updates for some people, it's also a complete security nightmare.

Honestly, I've been looking forward to the S8+ ever since it's been announced, but I think after having thought about it today, I'll cancel my pre-order and go with an LG G6 instead, despite the latter's slow camera software and more boring design. Damn you Bixby. Damn you.
    Oh man...you had to bring S voice back from the dead. I hated that thing. However, I am one of the few looking forward to giving Bixby a try.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    04-18-2017 12:31 PM
    If you don't want Bixby, don't but a Galaxy S8.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    04-18-2017 12:35 PM
    Or buy it and disable the app and don't use it. The swipe left thing is easily countered by a launcher, which almost everyone here will be using anyways. The button... ok, so there's a button. Try not to press it.

But if it's that much of a deal breaker, then Ry is right... buy a better phone. There are several out there if Sammy's not singing your song.
    jimd1050 and alhc78 like this.
    04-18-2017 12:43 PM
    You make it sound like you can't own an S8 as one of the best Android phones without the option of disabling Bixby or bypassing it. Man I really hope that the news of the latest update possibly disabling the Google activation by voice was an... accident... in Samsung's rush to fix their button and that we do have fully operational options to Bixby if we choose.

I will concede that if you're going to own an S8, don't expect to use the Bixby button for anything else but Bixby or be able to disable it.

04-18-2017 12:45 PM
    You make it sound like you can't own an S8 as one of the best Android phones without the option of disabling Bixby or bypassing it. Man I really hope that the news of the latest update possibly disabling the Google activation by voice was an... accident... in Samsung's rush to fix their button and that we do have fully operational options to Bixby if we choose.

I will concede that if you're going to own an S8, don't expect to use the Bixby button for anything else but Bixby or be able to disable it.
    If someone is complaining so hard about Bixby, they probably shouldn't buy a phone with Bixby.
    04-18-2017 01:18 PM
58 123