09-17-2017 04:08 PM
78 1234
tools
    I anticipate that the big gotcha that is still mostly hiding is that Bixby is going to require a user to utilize Samsung's native email, calendar, contact apps, etc.
    This wouldn't be very surprising. Somewhat expected too, like you said. One of the bigger reasons I shifted from having my stuff on Samsung services to Google was in the event that I chose a different OEM for my next phone. When I had the S3, I had a fair amount of data on Samsung servers. Then I got the Moto X 2013, and that's when I realized I wanted my things on Google servers. This is where Bixby would be a fail for me. Not because it isn't a good idea or product, but because I won't fuel Samsung's native apps with my data.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    04-18-2017 08:24 AM
    Stop complaining about something you haven't even used yet. Or better yet, if it is a big deal, go buy something else. Noone is forcing you to use or buy it. It is not about options either or ppl would be raging about not remapping the power button too. Leys grow up and stop being so negative. This is a great phone!
    Personally, I'm fine having to wait. Let Samsung get it right before releasing. I'd rather have a "working" assistant than to have a half baked tool. Get all of the quirks and bugs out first.

J
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    04-18-2017 08:28 AM
    Don't care about Bixby, won't use it. But if Samsung has really deactivated voice activation for Google Assistant, I'll cancel mine. This will anger a lot of people.
    04-18-2017 09:06 AM
    Don't care about Bixby, won't use it. But if Samsung has really deactivated voice activation for Google Assistant, I'll cancel mine. This will anger a lot of people.
    I had not seen that, just that Samsung took away the option to remap the physical button to go somewhere else aside from Bixby. Also not thinking Google would allow it?
    04-18-2017 10:03 AM
    I had not seen that, just that Samsung took away the option to remap the physical button to go somewhere else aside from Bixby. Also not thinking Google would allow it?
    At least one user here has reported that voice activation is gone now that his S8+ has arrived the "update"
    04-18-2017 10:39 AM
    It hasn't. You hold the home button and Google Assistant pops up.
    ol_jackburton likes this.
    04-18-2017 11:00 AM
    It hasn't. You hold the home button and Google Assistant pops up.
    I'm talking about voice activation, which is important to me.
    04-18-2017 11:08 AM
    My initial reaction about the bixby button not being allowed to remap was indeed negative. After all, I had no intention of using it. But then I reminded myself of what happened with one of my apps.

A couple years ago, I added a feature to one of my apps after many of my app users requested it. But even after I added the feature, people continued to email me asking for that feature. I placed it in the menu, but apparently many people never played around with the app to check. So, I decided to put the button for the app right there on the top right corner.

My point is I should probably give bixby a chance before I write it off. Kudos to Samsung for essentially forcing us to try it out bixby with the button. Goodness knows, I'm just as guilty as anyone for resisting to change.
    04-18-2017 11:09 AM
    I'm talking about voice activation, which is important to me.
    Such as ok Google ?
    04-18-2017 11:09 AM
    Such as ok Google ?
    Yes. It worked until the update as some people are reporting. Now it's deactivated both on the lock screen and when the phone is unlocked
    04-18-2017 11:11 AM
    Yes. It worked until the update as some people are reporting. Now it's deactivated both on the lock screen and when the phone is unlocked
    Have watched several reviews that were posted in the last hour. One of them, (not sure which specificly tho) did show the Google Assistant working via voice command.
    04-18-2017 11:19 AM
    Nothing is perfect. Will I use it? Sure I will. I'll give it a try, I mean it's already a done deal for the S8/S8+. If Bixby doesn't work out, it would be nice to remap it.
    04-18-2017 11:19 AM
    It's not disabled. Also, the sky isn't falling lol
    04-18-2017 11:40 AM
    This is getting worse here than on Macrumors.
    ol_jackburton likes this.
    04-18-2017 12:06 PM
    So it does work to activate by voice?
    04-18-2017 12:12 PM
    It's a half-baked, unnecessary feature that doesn't even function fully yet with a dedicated button. Need I say more? If you want to use it, knock yourself out, however for many of us the Bixby feature is a non starter and guess what? We're allowed to feel that way. Wow open discussion and opinions all around! Ain't it cool?
    robber, 1naturalace and Rumline like this.
    04-18-2017 01:36 PM
    I know if I can't disable it or remap it I will be upset. I would love to see the people that are saying if you don't like don't buy the phone,stop crying etc. if they were forced to use Touch Wiz with no option to put Nova Launcher on they would all be complaining
    thecaringkind likes this.
    04-18-2017 02:43 PM
    I'm going to give it a go because it intrigues me.

I hated Flipboard on my Note 3 and that was the main reason why Nova Prime went on there immediately.

I do need to use a voice prompt in my car when connected though and I have no reason to believe that such a fundamental feature would be removed in any way.

I'll wait until I actually have my own device before deciding what I like and don't like.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-18-2017 02:43 PM
    Good evening ThrottleJohnny this is your Personal Assistant at your command. I, Bixby, have it logged into my databank that it is time for your bed time, you have to wake up in 6 hours for your trip to work. I see that it is a 70% chance of Precipitation so I recommend you take an umbrella. I have already found the best possible deal on Umbrellas, Amazon is doing a deal on the red polka dots PVC umbrella. Shall I go ahead and order it for you, Sir?
    ThrottleJohnny are you OK, I Bixby sense that your heart rate has increased and you are getting a little shaky. Please apply your index finger to the Oxygen Saturation monitor so I can check your levels. OK I am worried now, please loom into the IRIS Scanner so I can take a look. ThrottleJohnny I have called 911 and paramedics are on the way just for precauction…
    04-18-2017 03:13 PM
    I'm going to give it a go because it intrigues me.

I hated Flipboard on my Note 3 and that was the main reason why Nova Prime went on there immediately.

I do need to use a voice prompt in my car when connected though and I have no reason to believe that such a fundamental feature would be removed in any way.

I'll wait until I actually have my own device before deciding what I like and don't like.
    Exactly! Love your attitude.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-18-2017 03:13 PM
    Good evening ThrottleJohnny this is your Personal Assistant at your command. I, Bixby, have it logged into my databank that it is time for your bed time, you have to wake up in 6 hours for your trip to work. I see that it is a 70% chance of Precipitation so I recommend you take an umbrella. I have already found the best possible deal on Umbrellas, Amazon is doing a deal on the red polka dots PVC umbrella. Shall I go ahead and order it for you, Sir?
    ThrottleJohnny are you OK, I Bixby sense that your heart rate has increased and you are getting a little shaky. Please apply your index finger to the Oxygen Saturation monitor so I can check your levels. OK I am worried now, please loom into the IRIS Scanner so I can take a look. ThrottleJohnny I have called 911 and paramedics are on the way just for precauction…
    Help! I'm being Throttled by the Phone Company again!
    Rumline likes this.
    04-18-2017 03:58 PM
    Man that Bixby seems awful "clingy"... Are there any Artificial Intelligence Stalker Laws? i can just see it now.... "i can't quit you...." Good thing Bluetooth 5.0 is just about here... You can make your phone keep a safer but further distance...lol

BTC
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    04-18-2017 05:57 PM
    Help! I'm being Throttled by the Phone Company again!
    Love yours
    04-18-2017 06:08 PM
    I actually was looking forward to Bixby. Overall I've been very impressed with Google Assistant (and it's predecessor Google Now). I use it all the time, and was going to give Bixby a shot to see if it could outdo Google. I agree that it's premature to "cry" about Bixby when it isn't released yet. But there are a couple reasons to gripe.

First, the voice recognition feature won't even be available at launch, which is pretty bad given that Samsung heavily advertised Bixby and a lot of us preordered the phone with the understanding that it would be fully functional at launch. It's certainly legitimate to complain about a feature that was promised and that we paid for.

Secondly, Samsung actively blocked software developers from mapping the Bixby button. Giving us the option to use a cool feature is fine, and creating a dedicated button for it is fine too. Really, I think that more buttons is always better (well, within reason) as long as they don't come at the expense of screen real estate. But the whole reason many people buy Android phones instead of Apple iOS devices is due to the greater freedom we have to customize our devices. Actively sabotaging software developers' implementations goes against that spirit. So unless the button remapping ability also creates a backdoor for some security risk, it's definitely a pain point worth griping about, and I'd say the crying that's going on over Bixby is acceptable.

Having said that, I'm actually feeling quite positive about the S8/S8+ and can't wait for my preordered device to arrive. I was looking forward to trying out Bixby, and I'll still happily do so once its full functionality is available. Chances are I'll even try out the incomplete version that comes with my phone right out of the box, though I doubt it will replace Google Assistant until the voice recognition is available.
    04-18-2017 06:13 PM
    From what I've heard, the S8 doesn't listen to "Okay Google" when the phone is locked and asleep, but will trigger the Assistant when awake.
    04-18-2017 07:20 PM
78 1234