Android or Samsung Pay?

SnoFire

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been playing with my phone this afternoon, and I have to say that the fingerprint position is going to be a major PITA with Samsung Pay. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my finger centered over the reader and having it read accurately. (Worked perfectly with the S6.) The iris scanner is pretty lame, too. (I'm going to use a screen protector, which will screw it up completely.)

If Samsung wanted to kill Samsung Pay, the position of the fingerprint reader is a good way to start.

So much negativity and yet you haven't even really tested it. You don't have a screen protector and already saying the iris scanner will be junk. Redo your finger prints to cover more of your finger so you don't have to have it perfect everything.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So much negativity and yet you haven't even really tested it. You don't have a screen protector and already saying the iris scanner will be junk. Redo your finger prints to cover more of your finger so you don't have to have it perfect everything.

I have a csreen protector on and it hasn't interfered with the Iris scanner at all.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I didn't know that. What about places like Costco?
Ive been using it on Note 5 and 7edge in past and of course s+ now. If you see a reader that you can slide a card through, it will work there. Mines worked at Lowe's, Home Depot, a self car wash, an OLD keyboard reader in a mall store, dunkin donuts, ruby Tuesday's, a small square reader on a tablet, several grocery stores, pop machines.

csleverette

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I tried with my S8+ today at my local gas station. Recently they updated their pumps with NFC pads and it has worked well with Apple pay.

3 times it seemed to read Samsung Pay with a message for processing card and 3 times it ended with card declined.

Thoughts?

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been playing with my phone this afternoon, and I have to say that the fingerprint position is going to be a major PITA with Samsung Pay. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my finger centered over the reader and having it read accurately. (Worked perfectly with the S6.) The iris scanner is pretty lame, too. (I'm going to use a screen protector, which will screw it up completely.)

If Samsung wanted to kill Samsung Pay, the position of the fingerprint reader is a good way to start.

you can also use PIN to do it.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I love Samsung Pay. It's accepted anywhere that you have access to the credit card reader when you don't have to insert the card like at a gas station pump. The only caveat is that there are still a lot of cards that you can't use with it.

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I love Samsung Pay. It's accepted anywhere that you have access to the credit card reader when you don't have to insert the card like at a gas station pump. The only caveat is that there are still a lot of cards that you can't use with it.

You can use it at a gas pump. It's a bit of a work-around. Just insert any plain card (library card, drivers license, store membership card) to activate the magnetic reader while activating Samsung Pay near the reader. Sometimes it's tricky to get the position and timing right but it's come in handy on my way home from the gym when I have just my phone and don't have any credit cards or cash with me .

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I tried with my S8+ today at my local gas station. Recently they updated their pumps with NFC pads and it has worked well with Apple pay.

3 times it seemed to read Samsung Pay with a message for processing card and 3 times it ended with card declined.

Thoughts?
Hmm. Our pump used to have thast pad thing and if I remember right, it asked for a 3 or 4 digit code on the screen on the pump. Did you ever see that? Also some scanners are more we sitivr to cases. With past pho as if sometimes re.lve the case and it would read easier. So far haven't had to with this one but my cases are fairly slim

csleverette

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. Our pump used to have thast pad thing and if I remember right, it asked for a 3 or 4 digit code on the screen on the pump. Did you ever see that? Also some scanners are more we sitivr to cases. With past pho as if sometimes re.lve the case and it would read easier. So far haven't had to with this one but my cases are fairly slim
I didn't notice it asking for a pin. I'll try again next fill up and see.

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Big Samsung Pay fan here, both on my phone and my Gear s2. It has something little piece of technology inside that works with the card swiping point of sale machines. It's so funny when the cashier's are sure it won't work and it does. It's the little things. I've got 10,200 points and I'm eyeballing that $50 gift card. And the coupon center is pretty cool, too.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Big Samsung Pay fan here, both on my phone and my Gear s2. It has something little piece of technology inside that works with the card swiping point of sale machines. It's so funny when the cashier's are sure it won't work and it does. It's the little things. I've got 10,200 points and I'm eyeballing that $50 gift card. And the coupon center is pretty cool, too.
The last I knew, the Gear S2 watch doesn't count for Samsung reward points and it only works on the "tap and pay enabled terminals, whereas the s8/+ of course works everywhere. I have the Gear S2 and hadn't used it much for Samsung Pay since at the time it didn't earn the points

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

I have a screen protector as well and wear glasses on top of that. The iris scan has yet to fail.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I used Samsung pay for the first time last, this is awesome. Samsung just my have hooked me with feature alone.

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I used Samsung pay for the first time last, this is awesome. Samsung just my have hooked me with feature alone.

SP was one of the main factors for me coming back to Android/Sammy!!!!

I just got my cards all setup and will be trying them out this weekend! Can't wait.

Thanks guys.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hands down samsung pay (as long as your bank card is accepted by them). For me its worked at every place I would typically slide a card. I don't have to ask if they take tap n pay or anything like that.

This is my issue. My no name bank still has not embraced mobile payments. I've harassed my bank every January over the last 3 years and they just shrug it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar