S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok - maybe I'm a LITTLE early posting this. But for those of you that are waiting on your pre-order, or plan to pick one up real soon... let's share our first impressions of the S8 / S8+ right here!

If you don't have it yet, what were your first impressions when you first laid eyes on it? Good, bad, indifferent?

elter

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
No red tint issue, VZW version. Iris scanner is amazing, super fast, in most cases won't even show the guide. One thing is strange, though. WiFi eventually drops the link rate, which is perfectly normal, but it won't renegotiate the link under heavy network load like running speed test. Not sure if's Android 7 thing or S8 specific. I have no such issue on S6 Edge

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd seen a couple photos of the S8/8+ here and there; but when I laid eyes on it from an Android Central Facebook post... Oh my! I'd love a silver S8. Hoping it won't be too big for me. Maybe I'll grab one of those in a year or so. I like trying out different manufacturers; and so far I've tried Nexus, LG, and Honor. I'd love to add another manufacturer in the mix - and now that Samsung has dropped that home button, the S8 is looking even more tempting.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I was pretty sure from the leaks, but after seeing it at Best Buy, I was sold. Great feel. Build quality is great. I don't care about the fingerprint scanner, I never use it anyway. I've been an LG guy for some time. Looking forward to something else. I was gonna wait for the Pixel but after seeing it in person, I couldn't resist.

jdmteg99

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
No red tint issue, VZW version. Iris scanner is amazing, super fast, in most cases won't even show the guide. One thing is strange, though. WiFi eventually drops the link rate, which is perfectly normal, but it won't renegotiate the link under heavy network load like running speed test. Not sure if's Android 7 thing or S8 specific. I have no such issue on S6 Edge

Did they put a Verizon logo on the back? What about changing the settings menu compared to other carriers? Does the 4G band go dark when connected to Wifi?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Good info to take note of. Thanks.

thurask

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I ended up replacing most of the Samsung stuff with alternatives, usually the equivalent Google app. Too used to them from past devices.

elter

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Did they put a Verizon logo on the back? What about changing the settings menu compared to other carriers? Does the 4G band go dark when connected to Wifi?

No Verizon logo on the back, don't worry about this. 4G band does not go dark with wifi connected. VZW enabled "Advanced calling" features by default, so 4G always stays on in my understanding, 3G or 1x radio stays off.

elter

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Good info to take note of. Thanks.

After monitoring it for a little while, it looks like it does go up but not when you expect it to go up. Most likely OS related global change in handling of wifi.

I noticed it only because I have 150/150 Internet and it to utilize it it to its full capacity I need link rate > 300 Mb/s at all times.

jdmteg99

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
No Verizon logo on the back, don't worry about this. 4G band does not go dark with wifi connected. VZW enabled "Advanced calling" features by default, so 4G always stays on in my understanding, 3G or 1x radio stays off.

My concern is the stand by battery life. The Note 5 had this issue and caused the battery to drain at like 1 to 2 percent an hour. The two Note 7s I had did not have this problem nor does my old Note 3 I'm currently using.

This is what I'm referring to. https://imgur.com/ZRbyAFs

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I noticed on every single S8 and S8+ I played with that when in the settings or anywhere that had a white screen there was this pink hue on both edges of the screen. Anyone notice this on their units?

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
After just over 24 hours with the phone, my first impression is that it's an amazing device. Everything is working well so far. I'm amazed at how fast the iris scanner is compared to the Note 7. I hardly use the FPS now.