11-25-2017 06:14 PM
433 ... 1415161718
tools
    My first impressions were that I "gotta have it!". It was a thing of beauty. Still is!
    I've had it for a while now and I'm still can't believe how much of a step forward it is. The fact that the useable screen size is so big yet it's nowhere near phablet size has changed everything for me.
    05-28-2017 07:27 AM
    Four days in and I'm still amazed by just using it! If the Note 8 is all this and more. Well......im in!
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    06-01-2017 04:50 PM
    Two weeks and my Galaxy S8 is a awesome device extremely fast with a great camera. No complaints here this will be my daily driver for a long time. Coming from the S7 plus this phone is so customizable it puts apple to shame. I am heavily locked into the Apple eco system which I love but this phone is much Superior
    gendo667 and kevinpleasants like this.
    06-02-2017 09:14 PM
    Well.. I finally got my S8+.
    First of all it looks really amazing. no any false with the look of exterior design. I have orchide gray and I am really happy with that.
    In terms of performance, it is really fast and doesn't get hot easily. I haven't tried ultra high performance required games or apps yet but it is quite satisfying with normal-high level games.
    The cameras are impressive especially the back one. Even the front camera performs pretty well. better than many back cameras on other phones.
    Only two negative comment by now:
    1. It is too expensive ( at least in my country ).
    2. Very slippery. Must be carefull it may just fly away from hands.

Overall I believe it is the best device around.
    06-30-2017 03:17 AM
    It's here, in my hands. And for the most part it's awesome. But it is not without flaws.

This is my first Android phone after maybe four years of iOS and three prior to that with Blackberry. Going into iOS it took me a year or more before I was comfortable and stopped hating my first iPhone. Going to Android is a scary thought but so far I am finding that it's a very mailable OS and I am surprised at how much I can do with changing it to my liking. In fact, the sticky apps or functions at bottom now match what I had on my iPhone.. Phone, messages, email and settings. That gives me some familiarity, which I need in this transition.

The Verizon and Samsung bloatware is annoying. I really have no idea what to use at times with multiple browsers, texting apps, email apps, Playstores, etc. and that just ticks me off. I've had to use this forum A LOT trying to figure out what the stock apps are vs what the bloatware apps are.

The finger print sensor is sort of annoying, but not overly so. I have the official Samsung Alcantara case on the phone and that helps. It contains a special cutout for the camera and also for the sensor so you really can't screw up. Going from the iPhone with its front sensor to the S8 with the rear sensor is the biggest change. It's just strange, but I'll get used to it.

And that case IS awesome. I love it. While I am not sure it will protect this fragile phone from a high drop I do feel like I likely won't drop the phone if I'm careful as it feels nice in the hand and is not slippery in any way. Naked, the phone is like slick wet ice. You do not want hold onto it that way! People, this is why I am fully prepared to sell the S8 if the Essential Phone proves to be a good product. It's ceramic and titanium construction promises the kind of sturdiness that all newer phones are lacking with their stupid curved screens and all glass construction.

The S8 is a gorgeous phone but I think I'd like it more without curved edges. I do struggle a bit when texting at the far left and right. I have to slow my texting down in order to avoid mistakes.

I still have my iPhone 6S+ and it looks and feels HUGE in comparison. Losing some width is also affecting my texting but having less bulk with the S8 vs. the iPhone is a lovely thing. I like how easy it is to slip into my front pocket and how nice it feels in the hand.

This is a great phone. No doubt. I think I'm going to enjoy getting to know it over the next few months.

P.S. I put the official Samsung screen protector on the phone and feel that for a thin membrane style screen protector it works just fine. I prefer tempered glass, but we all know what a disaster they have been for this phone and its curved screen. I didn't want to go through that, but I at least wanted to protect the glass from scratches.

P.S.S. I put Verizon Cloud on my iPhone to back up my content and I also put Google drive on it. So I double backed up everything. The question now is, which is better to migrate all my content to THIS phone? I don't know. Until I figure that out I just won't do it.
    07-02-2017 11:16 AM
    You can migrate your content by using Samsung Smart Switch.
    07-03-2017 04:05 AM
    Bought the unlocked S8 this weekend at Best Buy (came with $200 BB gift card) to replace my dead Axon 7 and I must say, I am very pleased with all the features the S8 brings to the table. I'm using it with TMO and signal is stronger than the A7.

I am a bit scared of the curved screen and protecting it. The first case I got for it was a Symmetry Otter Box case which was a PITA to press the buttons, AND it didn't protect the glass at all. So I returned it. Still looking for a slim case the protects the glass better in case of a drop.
    07-17-2017 11:50 AM
    Bought the unlocked S8 this weekend at Best Buy (came with $200 BB gift card) to replace my dead Axon 7 and I must say, I am very pleased with all the features the S8 brings to the table. I'm using it with TMO and signal is stronger than the A7.

I am a bit scared of the curved screen and protecting it. The first case I got for it was a Symmetry Otter Box case which was a PITA to press the buttons, AND it didn't protect the glass at all. So I returned it. Still looking for a slim case the protects the glass better in case of a drop.

Get a otterbox defender case or don't drop it.

Phones are not made to be dropped.
    amyf27 likes this.
    07-17-2017 12:14 PM
    Those I'm sure are great, but I HATE the bulk. I carry my phone in my pocket so it's not a practical case for me.
    07-17-2017 12:47 PM
    Those I'm sure are great, but I HATE the bulk. I carry my phone in my pocket so it's not a practical case for me.
    I'd be be scared too.
    07-17-2017 12:53 PM
    I have an unlocked Galaxy S8. It is a great phone for part time horizontal use such as at work or while sitting at desk but for use while laying it bed or vertically, it is flawed as have to hold from bottom of phone which makes the top of phone difficult to reach one handed. It is also extremely uncomfortable holding tightly. The Bixby button is annoying as well as fingerprint scanner too. The curved screen makes it less functional and more breakable.

I would prefer wider screen and shorter to mimic the natural movement of the thumb.
    07-17-2017 02:41 PM
    I have an unlocked Galaxy S8. It is a great phone for part time horizontal use such as at work or while sitting at desk but for use while laying it bed or vertically, it is flawed as have to hold from bottom of phone which makes the top of phone difficult to reach one handed. It is also extremely uncomfortable holding tightly. The Bixby button is annoying as well as fingerprint scanner too. The curved screen makes it less functional and more breakable.

I would prefer wider screen and shorter to mimic the natural movement of the thumb.
    You have the wrong case for it.
    They make cases to go farther up the sides so you don't touch the edges as easily.
    07-17-2017 02:57 PM
    Love it. Great phone
    07-18-2017 12:39 AM
    For me the S8+ is a quantum leap.

Came to Android because of the Galaxy S2 which I thought was a breakthrough. Next I fell in love with the Note line. Would still be there but for the exploding batteries.

Couldn't wait the months required for the Note 8, hence, the S8+. My favorite device since the Note 3.

Now Samsung taunts me with the requirement that I can't have my beloved S pen unless I pay a premium plus price for the Note 8. Not a happy camper.
    amyf27 likes this.
    07-22-2017 11:59 PM
    First impression is I love the phone. The screen is durable, resolution awesome, speedy and responsive.
    07-23-2017 06:08 PM
    I considered the Galaxy S2 to be the breakthrough phone for Samsung followed almost immediately by the Note 2.

I put the S8 in that league.
    07-26-2017 01:44 PM
    My only beef after having it for a couple of weeks is the Bixby button. Really never needed to be included on the phone IMO. I'm always pressing it by mistake when I put phone in car mount or randomly when I'm using it. I use the "remap" app and it does ok, but still most times Bixby still pops up when I hit it.
    07-26-2017 03:43 PM
    I'm really surprise the phone. I didn't think the experience would differ so much from a S7 edge to an S8+ but in fact, it does.
    The screen is even prettier and more things fit into it!
    When I was deciding if I'd buy it or not, pretty much every reviewer complained by the position of the fingerprint sensor but quite frankly, it doesn't bother me much personally. I rarely put my finger over the camera (Clear View helps with this though) nor I have to do awkward finger stretches to reach it.
    Headphone Jack output is better than S7.
    07-27-2017 10:20 AM
    I received my Galaxy S8 (Orchid Grey) as a totally surprising birthday present last month and unboxed it in front of the family. I honestly had no idea what was in the box either.
    Since then I've hardly put it down, my daughter's birthday was a few days later, followed by a tour around the UK and Europe, so the fantastic camera was working on overdrive. I'd been using an iPhone 6S for six months previously having been using a Galaxy S3 for four years before that and it's clear that Samsung have pushed the boundaries for Apple.
    The fingerprint scanner causes no problems for me and is easy to reach with the Gear D30 case I put on it. Too slippery without.
    Frankly, it's everything I expected and more. Superb phone.
    07-28-2017 02:32 PM
    I'm really surprise the phone. I didn't think the experience would differ so much from a S7 edge to an S8+ but in fact, it does.
    The screen is even prettier and more things fit into it!
    When I was deciding if I'd buy it or not, pretty much every reviewer complained by the position of the fingerprint sensor but quite frankly, it doesn't bother me much personally. I rarely put my finger over the camera (Clear View helps with this though) nor I have to do awkward finger stretches to reach it.
    Headphone Jack output is better than S7.
    Feel the same way. Here's my on hands comparison photo which helped me tons!
    07-28-2017 07:35 PM
    I ended up replacing most of the Samsung stuff with alternatives, usually the equivalent Google app. Too used to them from past devices.
    Using the BlackBerry Hub and apps?
    07-30-2017 11:16 PM
    Using the BlackBerry Hub and apps?
    No; Aquamail for email now.
    07-31-2017 12:20 PM
    How times have changed. My S8+ is my first Non BlackBerry smartphone.
    08-01-2017 10:33 PM
    How times have changed. My S8+ is my first Non BlackBerry smartphone.
    Same here.
    08-02-2017 08:53 PM
    Bluemail is good too. I'm not using it presently but have before
    08-03-2017 04:37 AM
433 ... 1415161718