S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have yet to pre-order it. To those who have the S8 already do you feel its worth upgrading from the S6? Just on the fence due to last years Note 7 Snap foo
Got me it was worth upgrading from the 7 edge. My son had an s6 and I got him a 7edge. Yes the d8 is much better than the s6 imo

Txchas

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to pre-order it. To those who have the S8 already do you feel its worth upgrading from the S6? Just on the fence due to last years Note 7 Snap foo

I'm upgrading from a S6. Love the S8 so far. Still transferring data from the old phone to the new one.
Yes, very worth it.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So far I really love it. I have the s8 plus and at first the screen seemed small because of how narrow it is but it really isn't that narrow just seems that way because of no bezels. I also have a slight red hue on the edges when the screen is white. I really wish I didn't read the thread about it because I probably would not have noticed it. Is anyone going to exchange theirs because of this? I can't decide of I care enough to do it or not but it really bothers me samsung would let this happen after the note 7 fiasco. The fingerprint sensor position I think is blown way out of proportion. However I do think that it doesn't seem as accurate as my LG v20. It seems to be way more sensitive to where your finger is placed and I think that is actually something reviewers should have mentioned instead of whining about the position which takes 2 minutes to get used to.
Overall I love the phone and I love that samsung is not afraid to innovate in a very dull smartphone world.

eLIZabeth001

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
Midnight Black S8 Plus

This is a beautiful phone and it looks very elegant and sexy. I love the ALL BLACK on this phone, finally someone got it right. This is the 1st phone that I really don't want to put a case on it because it's too sexy (Yes it's in a case, I don't want to hurt Sasha!)... I also like that the included accessories are black as well. The screen is as everyone else is stating: AWESOME, right out the box. I'm sure once I change the quality to the highest setting it'll get even better. Holding the phone is tricky for me because, its very light compared to my iPhone 7 Plus. Even with the case I have on, it's like I'm not even holding a phone in my hand. It's like holding my Roku Remote. I don't have a screen protector, but I think I may invest in one just to prevent scratches (I got one on my iPhone 7 and it almost drove me crazy). I may end up going to dBrand to purchase a skin and say goodbye to cases.

Now so far the phone is running smooth and fast as expected. Setting it up was very easy. The Finger Print is NOT I repeat NOT as bad as everyone was making it. Yes, it's in a different spot, but I do not have a hard time finding the sensor. I can see how it would be a challenge for those with very small hands.

I'm happy to have a headphone jack again. Sometime I rather use my Beats plugged in. Or just being able to grab a pair of headphones I have lying around and plug them in is a plus.

I just can't get over how right this phone is. It seems too good to be TRUE. As with all things, time will tell how this phones holds up. So far I'm very pleased with this phone.

IMG_5168.jpg
IMG_8837.jpg

eLIZabeth001

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
So far I really love it. I have the s8 plus and at first the screen seemed small because of how narrow it is but it really isn't that narrow just seems that way because of no bezels. I also have a slight red hue on the edges when the screen is white. I really wish I didn't read the thread about it because I probably would not have noticed it. Is anyone going to exchange theirs because of this? I can't decide of I care enough to do it or not but it really bothers me samsung would let this happen after the note 7 fiasco. The fingerprint sensor position I think is blown way out of proportion. However I do think that it doesn't seem as accurate as my LG v20. It seems to be way more sensitive to where your finger is placed and I think that is actually something reviewers should have mentioned instead of whining about the position which takes 2 minutes to get used to.
Overall I love the phone and I love that samsung is not afraid to innovate in a very dull smartphone world.

I agree, the fingerprint sensor is not as bad as people were making it seem. After a few minutes playing around with it, I can get to it with no problem. As you stated, the only problem is making sure it's on the sensor a certain way.

I haven't noticed the red tint around the corners...

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I agree, the fingerprint sensor is not as bad as people were making it seem. After a few minutes playing around with it, I can get to it with no problem. As you stated, the only problem is making sure it's on the sensor a certain way.

I haven't noticed the red tint around the corners...
Yes I've been using the fingerprint sensor without much issue. But I use a case so maybe it's easier that way. Positionwise it's fine for me

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
This phone reminds me when i got the very first iphone. It also reminds me when i first bought the note 1. Level UP

elter

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I can't see any red hue on my VZW phone. I wonder if red hue on the edges is limited to one specific carrier or its across the board? Did Samsung make all s8 phones in Vietman?

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah pretty much everything about this phone is great. Its harder to unlock it when it's in a car dashboard mount, but messing with your phone while driving is a bad idea so I can't really complain. I am mildly disappointed in the half-baked Bixby, so I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the voice assistant. But all in all, no buyer's remorse whatsoever!

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
A couple words on the fingerprint sensor:
It is actually really easy to find with a case on, especially since I hold my phone with my left hand anyway. The scanner is small so it only reads a small part of your finger at a time. I will only use my left index finger on it, so I saved 4 different fingerprints of just my left index finger at different angles - very few failures and I haven't smudged my lens once!
I had an incredibly hard time with the iris scanner with my glasses on - if I swiped and put my eyes within the two circles on the screen then it would read but I somehow can't figure out the correct positioning without those circles, which is a huge hassle.
I watched a movie preview on YouTube in wide screen with the Enhanced Video mode and it looked amazing. So much left to explore!

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Very happy to report that this phone runs buttery smooth! Chrome is finally usable on a Samsung and it runs about as smooth as on the pixel! Very happy so far. All my previous galaxies (tmobile branded) had major lag especially on chrome but on the s8 plus its so far so good.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
So far very happy. A little getting used to some things but very impressed with performance even during and after installing dozens of apps.

My only real complaint would be that as much as I like the stock keyboard, the voice typing (through Bixby I guess?) Is laughably bad. It was SO off at times. Installed Gboard and did usual Google voice typing and it was as good as always. I hope they fix that if they expect anyone to use Bixby haha.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't see any red hue on my VZW phone. I wonder if red hue on the edges is limited to one specific carrier or its across the board? Did Samsung make all s8 phones in Vietman?

I have vzw as well so i don't think it's a carrier issue. I dont think it's affecting all phones.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Fingerprints galore! Other than that the phone is simply gorgeous and marvelous. I can't stop staring at it. Have the midnight black s8+, and I am simply loving the black, although I am also enamored by the orchid gray. My uncle got that so I will be able to see if often.

Phone is super smooth and very fast, hopefully next couple days after I fully set up the phone than I can see how the battery is.

ravenwhale

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Had my S8 about 7 hours now. I agree with all of the positive comments I have read previously. I can't believe Verizon does not have a logo anywhere on this phone. I came from a Note 4 and feel I have stepped into the future. The set up was quick and easy. After set up I had to run to the store, so jumped in my car and paired up the bluetooth. Very easy. Then when I started streaming music from Google Play Music the quality was simply amazing. It sounds like I have a whole new sound system in my car. I look forward to others trying this and seeing if they notice any difference. This new bluetooth 5 is simply amazing, or I was just so excited to get the phone the music sounded better. Chime in if you notice a difference. I don't see anyone commenting on this yet. Enjoy everyone. Now, time to take my new S8 to bed and try out the blue light filter!

Maseroche

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
48 hours since I got my S8 and so far, I think it's a winner. I was going to get the LG G6 but at when the pre-orders were open for the S8, I signed up and reserved a Black S8.

It got here and I have got to say that it's such a beautiful device to hold. The odd location of the fingerprint scanner spoils what is otherwise, a home run for Samsung. Battery life is ok but it's still early days so will be monitoring it and posting my impressions as it settles.

The other thing that I noticed is that the WiFi is not as strong as the Huawei P10 which I have been using as well. Battery life on the Huawei seemed better, lasting comfortably throughout the day. Like I said, the S8 is just two days old so it might need time to settle in and start performing better.

The S8's camera is really good as well. To my unprofessional eyes, even better then the P10. I also feel more comfortable using the S8 for some reason. That screen is a beauty but apps like Snapchat need to be optimized for it.

Anyway, got to get back to work. Loving this phone!

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Overall I like the phone alot though I am a bit less enthusiastic than most of you guys.

As others have said, fingerprint sensor is no big deal if you have a case and hold the phone in your left hand anyway. Facial recognition is very fast when it works, but I use readers with my phone most of the time and they throw it off alot. Might try re calibrating. Fingerprint sensor unlocks the phone from the AOD display instantly without touching anything else which is very cool.

Screen is nice, but with the caveat that it's less impressive if you are coming from an S7E. I do like that the overall size of the S8 is noticeably smaller then the S7E but I don't feel the quality is any better. The rolled edges of the S7 are more pronounced and look more impressive but serve little purpose and are a pain some of the time. The S8 seems less prone to inadvertent contact. If I could stand the bigger phone the S8+ would be more impressive visually. Just don't like anything that big in my pocket all the time. No red tint on my screen.

It's nice and fast, no lag, and MOST scrolling is very smooth though my S7E was always fine until a few months of use and loading apps. Chrome in particular is better but still not perfect - don't know why they cant figure that out for such a core app.

I initially found the screen proportions a bit "off" until I loaded Nova Launcher. The default is a 5 across icon which makes the icons a bit small for the narrow screen but 4 looked a bit odd too. Most widgets don't have a 5x1 or 5x2 format so they don't fill the screen right. Nova lets you change the padding and spacing to where it looks much better proportioned. Probably what I am used to and nothing to do with the phone.

The added length is a little helpful on web pages. You can usually see a extra few lines at least when you are reading text. I compared the S7E and the S8 side by side.

Camera is too close to call when you are only taking indoor at night but it's very good. Will try to shoot more tomorrow.

Battery so far is pretty solid, charged to about 95%, 5 hours of use, 3 hours of screen time and a TON up D/L's and configuration/setup changes and I'm still at 60%.

Absolutely love the lack of a physical home button. Though LG and HTC have had this before I can't say how much I prefer it. I've never had a phone whose home button didn't feel sloppy after a year or so. One of my favorite small touches to this phone.

Bixby? - Not sure what to think about it. I'll have to give it more of a chance. Currently it feels the answer to a question nobody is asking. It's way too limiting on the number of apps it works with and I see no value yet but perhaps with time, who knows.

In all I like it and don't think I would return it unless I run into something weird in the next day or two. If you have the resources it's a nice upgrade but if you already have the S7E or even the S6E (I now have all three) you shouldn't feel second class or like you are completely left behind.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084