S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Actually now I am not sure if it's me and reading all these reports of red screen, but seems like my screen has that red color issue as well. Putting the slider for red all the way to the left makes it better, but only for adaptive and not the other models.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually now I am not sure if it's me and reading all these reports of red screen, but seems like my screen has that red color issue as well. Putting the slider for red all the way to the left makes it better, but only for adaptive and not the other models.

Bummer:/ are you going to exchange it?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Overall I like the phone alot though I am a bit less enthusiastic than most of you guys.
Screen is nice, but with the caveat that it's less impressive if you are coming from an S7E. The rolled edges of the S7 are more pronounced and look more impressive but serve little purpose and are a pain some of the time.

^^ This

I agree that the edge on the S7E Looks nicer but accidental touch is a common issue, hopefully this has improved. I think Samsung have been clever sticking to the curved screen as it creates the illusion of no bezel on the sides, let's face it there is a small bezel just as there is on ther S7E there and they would be more noticeable if you flattened the screen out.

The FPS being easier with a case makes sense and is interesting, I never use a case but this may make me reconsider.

My S8+ is due to arrive today, I did actualy try to cancel my pre-order but was too late. Now it is on it's way there is no way I am will be able to send it back!

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
A couple words on the fingerprint sensor:
It is actually really easy to find with a case on, especially since I hold my phone with my left hand anyway. The scanner is small so it only reads a small part of your finger at a time. I will only use my left index finger on it, so I saved 4 different fingerprints of just my left index finger at different angles - very few failures and I haven't smudged my lens once!
I had an incredibly hard time with the iris scanner with my glasses on - if I swiped and put my eyes within the two circles on the screen then it would read but I somehow can't figure out the correct positioning without those circles, which is a huge hassle.
I watched a movie preview on YouTube in wide screen with the Enhanced Video mode and it looked amazing. So much left to explore!

Just a word about using the Fingerprint sensor, When you enroll a finger, you can let it read your finger at different angles. this helps if you don't get your finger on it exactly when you are going for an FPS read. I usually scan it vertical & sideways (both ways) when I enroll a finger.

The phone is great, Awesome screen, great build, the soft buttons take some getting used to and I really don't care for FPS placement on the back of the phone, I have a 40min drive in to work and when I got here the phone still showed 100% battery, my S7E, N7 & N5 could not do that.

Cheers,
BR

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung pay works great on this phone . I used it this morning at panera bread it was kind of funny because the lady said she was going to go with the s eight when she was up for an upgrade and I showed her my orchids gray + version and she absolutely loved it

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was messing around with the settings last night after everything was restored and had one little nag.
The AOD screen when using one of the infinity wallpapers seems to freeze. If this normal?
The little starry background behind the clock moves once, then stays there.
So, basically, it's a static image after it shifts once. I found it to be very annoying, so I just went to a normal wallpaper.

anon(10151072)

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Got my s8 (VZW) yesterday afternoon. Like it a lot so far. I always liked the physical home button on previous S phones. I thought I'd miss it since I usually used it turn the screen on. Then I discovered in display settings (navigation bar setting) you can set the s8 to turn the screen on by hard pressing on the area of the screen where the home button is. Maybe people already know this, but I thought I'd share it in case some don't.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Phone is great so far - the one thing that really surprises me is how effective the iris scanner is. It's truly great. When I set it up a couple hours ago, I was super pissed because my security was being bypassed and the phone unlocking when I woke it...turns out it was just scanning my irises so fast I didn't notice.

If you're walking or in a car, it takes a couple seconds...otherwise, it's nearly instantaneous.

So far, I've only used my FPS for LastPass logging in, although with sunglasses I will have to use the FPS.

Wow, the iris scanner sounds amazing! I want to try it now! Haha.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Got my s8 (VZW) yesterday afternoon. Like it a lot so far. I always liked the physical home button on previous S phones. I thought I'd miss it since I usually used it turn the screen on. Then I discovered in display settings (navigation bar setting) you can set the s8 to turn the screen on by hard pressing on the area of the screen where the home button is. Maybe people already know this, but I thought I'd share it in case some don't.

That's a pretty cool feature! Thanks for telling us!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my S8+ so far. Nice and speedy, less stuttering than my S7 Edge/Note 7 had, and it's a really striking phone. Still haven't gotten use to the FPS though. The only truly disappointing thing has to do with me more than the phone. I keep waiting for that phone that just blows me away like phones used to. Maybe if I didn't buy 2-3 phones a year I might get that wow factor again.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
So far very happy. A little getting used to some things but very impressed with performance even during and after installing dozens of apps.

My only real complaint would be that as much as I like the stock keyboard, the voice typing (through Bixby I guess?) Is laughably bad. It was SO off at times. Installed Gboard and did usual Google voice typing and it was as good as always. I hope they fix that if they expect anyone to use Bixby haha.

thanks. I'll probably install Gboard from the get go

Mkeditor

May 2, 2016
Visit site
S8 Plus: A dozen observations:

1) Most gorgeous form factor of a phone I've seen yet.

2) Screen is great. No pink.

3) The iris scanner is fantastic. It's usually very fast even with my glasses. I haven't bothered with the fingerprint scanner. I wish it was still on the front so I could use the phone without having to pick it up.

4) Smoothest transition to a new phone ever. Samsung has come close to perfecting this process. Even my app icons and groupings transferred to the same position and pages.

5) The Unicorn Beetle case fit perfectly.

6) I tried using the new Samsung keyboard but ditched it fot Gboard due to the voice recognition being really slow.

7) The LTE doesn't seem any faster. My guess is the Portland area doesn't have the last tech for T-Mobile. We'll see if it's faster in London tomorrow.

8) Switching to USB -C is a bit of work. I purchased new cables and cae chargers but forgot the short cables I use for the portable chargers I use when traveling. I still have the habit of looking at the connector for which way to insert it.

9) The wall charger is very fast.

10) I really want to try the docking station. My concern is that it won't work with case on...which is a big hassle to take off.

11) I wish the font was bigger on the notification tray or that the layout had more contrast. This probably has more to do with Nougat than Samsung.

12) The camera is still awesome.

to_be_announced

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Got mine yesterday.

The iris scanner is fantastic. Works even in the dark very quickly. Easy to setup, easy to use. Who needs the FPS. Also, I don't wear glasses but use a pair of Gunnar Optiks at work while sitting in front of the computer all day. The iris scanner had no problem unlocking even with these on, and I have the yellow tinted lenses.

As someone already said, setting the home button to unlock the screen is a great feature and I use it all the time.

As for the red tint some have noticed, I did not. I did notice that if you turn the blue filter on it gives the screen a red tint though. Perhaps some people inadvertently turned that on?

I changed the screen resolution to the highest right away. Looks amazing.

Haven't gotten much use out of the camera yet, but looks good so far.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Bummer:/ are you going to exchange it?
Not too sure at the moment. Not really into playing swap lottery, but really don't want to set up the phone again. I'm gonna use it for couple days and see how I feel about it then decide. Also going to be a hassle spending the on the phone explaining to T-Mobile etc

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
2) Screen is great. No pink.

11) I wish the font was bigger on the notification tray or that the layout had more contrast. This probably has more to do with Nougat than Samsung.

2. My screen doesn't seem pink really, but it doesn't really seem white either. I've been trying to mess with the color balance settings.

11. Have you tried Good Lock in Samsung's App Store? It lets you customize the colors in the Quick Settings/Notification pull down. I don't remember being able to change the size of the font, but you can add more contrast. I haven't searched for it on my S8+ yet. I assume it's still available though.

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the S8 and love the phone. I do have the pink hue around the edges. Also, the white screens seem "cloudy", like not a clean white. I will definitely exchange it. It just bothers me too much. Other than that, so far, seems faster than my S7, the screen size seems to be the sweet spot between the S7 and the S7 Edge. Battery life so far is really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34