S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Bought the unlocked S8 this weekend at Best Buy (came with $200 BB gift card) to replace my dead Axon 7 and I must say, I am very pleased with all the features the S8 brings to the table. I'm using it with TMO and signal is stronger than the A7.

I am a bit scared of the curved screen and protecting it. The first case I got for it was a Symmetry Otter Box case which was a PITA to press the buttons, AND it didn't protect the glass at all. So I returned it. Still looking for a slim case the protects the glass better in case of a drop.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Bought the unlocked S8 this weekend at Best Buy (came with $200 BB gift card) to replace my dead Axon 7 and I must say, I am very pleased with all the features the S8 brings to the table. I'm using it with TMO and signal is stronger than the A7.

I am a bit scared of the curved screen and protecting it. The first case I got for it was a Symmetry Otter Box case which was a PITA to press the buttons, AND it didn't protect the glass at all. So I returned it. Still looking for a slim case the protects the glass better in case of a drop.

Get a otterbox defender case or don't drop it.

Phones are not made to be dropped.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Those I'm sure are great, but I HATE the bulk. I carry my phone in my pocket so it's not a practical case for me.

mousemonkey

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I have an unlocked Galaxy S8. It is a great phone for part time horizontal use such as at work or while sitting at desk but for use while laying it bed or vertically, it is flawed as have to hold from bottom of phone which makes the top of phone difficult to reach one handed. It is also extremely uncomfortable holding tightly. The Bixby button is annoying as well as fingerprint scanner too. The curved screen makes it less functional and more breakable.

I would prefer wider screen and shorter to mimic the natural movement of the thumb.

Last edited:

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked Galaxy S8. It is a great phone for part time horizontal use such as at work or while sitting at desk but for use while laying it bed or vertically, it is flawed as have to hold from bottom of phone which makes the top of phone difficult to reach one handed. It is also extremely uncomfortable holding tightly. The Bixby button is annoying as well as fingerprint scanner too. The curved screen makes it less functional and more breakable.

I would prefer wider screen and shorter to mimic the natural movement of the thumb.

You have the wrong case for it.
They make cases to go farther up the sides so you don't touch the edges as easily.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
For me the S8+ is a quantum leap.

Came to Android because of the Galaxy S2 which I thought was a breakthrough. Next I fell in love with the Note line. Would still be there but for the exploding batteries.

Couldn't wait the months required for the Note 8, hence, the S8+. My favorite device since the Note 3.

Now Samsung taunts me with the requirement that I can't have my beloved S pen unless I pay a premium plus price for the Note 8. Not a happy camper.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I considered the Galaxy S2 to be the breakthrough phone for Samsung followed almost immediately by the Note 2.

I put the S8 in that league.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My only beef after having it for a couple of weeks is the Bixby button. Really never needed to be included on the phone IMO. I'm always pressing it by mistake when I put phone in car mount or randomly when I'm using it. I use the "remap" app and it does ok, but still most times Bixby still pops up when I hit it.

DCTR Zoom

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
I'm really surprise the phone. I didn't think the experience would differ so much from a S7 edge to an S8+ but in fact, it does.
The screen is even prettier and more things fit into it!
When I was deciding if I'd buy it or not, pretty much every reviewer complained by the position of the fingerprint sensor but quite frankly, it doesn't bother me much personally. I rarely put my finger over the camera (Clear View helps with this though) nor I have to do awkward finger stretches to reach it.
Headphone Jack output is better than S7.

Rufinoman

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
I received my Galaxy S8 (Orchid Grey) as a totally surprising birthday present last month and unboxed it in front of the family. I honestly had no idea what was in the box either.
Since then I've hardly put it down, my daughter's birthday was a few days later, followed by a tour around the UK and Europe, so the fantastic camera was working on overdrive. I'd been using an iPhone 6S for six months previously having been using a Galaxy S3 for four years before that and it's clear that Samsung have pushed the boundaries for Apple.
The fingerprint scanner causes no problems for me and is easy to reach with the Gear D30 case I put on it. Too slippery without.
Frankly, it's everything I expected and more. Superb phone.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm really surprise the phone. I didn't think the experience would differ so much from a S7 edge to an S8+ but in fact, it does.
The screen is even prettier and more things fit into it!
When I was deciding if I'd buy it or not, pretty much every reviewer complained by the position of the fingerprint sensor but quite frankly, it doesn't bother me much personally. I rarely put my finger over the camera (Clear View helps with this though) nor I have to do awkward finger stretches to reach it.
Headphone Jack output is better than S7.
Feel the same way. Here's my on hands comparison photo which helped me tons!
4f893a31430548235e6ca2b749eafb35.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood