Registration for "immersive Gear VR experience for $99" - How did it Go

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I could've preordered through Samsung.com, and if they would've advertised on the promotion itself that you could immediately choose which promotion bundle you wanted when preordering from them, then I would've preordered from them but they didn't. You used the black friday analogy. It's like going to a big store for their black friday sale that have a certain number of an item for a really great price but certain people can go ahead an pay for the item before the store actually opens. That's exactly what Samsung has done.
That's all well and good, but I pre-ordered through Verizon, not Samsung. I did receive the phone on the 19th like many others. But there was about five hours between the phone being delivered and actually activated and another two hours or so before I registered for the bundle via the Shop Samsung app. In that time there were hundreds off thousands of phones already delivered.

The thing is that there were only 50,000 bundles available. Which makes the odds of being able to receive on pretty low.

Since nobody knows where in line they were for both pre-order AND registering for the bundle, this whole argument is pointless.

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How is this for more fair. Those that preordered on Samsung.com were able to select which promotion item they wanted and if they wanted the $99 bundle they were able to go ahead and pay for it immediately while those who preordered through cell service provider had to wait to actually have their phones in and to choose. That information wasn't on the promotion flyer or on any kind of small print.

And those that ordered theirs through Best Buy got $100. I can understand Samsung giving themselves the best offer. When Best Buy kept asking me to cancel my Sprint order and buy from them, I asked if they could get it to me In time to GUARANTEE I would in time for the "limited to the first 50,000". Guy said no. I kept my Sprint order.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yours does too. Since you don't actually know your place in said line. I honestly don't know where in line I was either.

If you think you have a legit complaint, then lodge a formal complaint with the BBB.
It's pretty easy. When others registered AFTER the time frame I did, I should clearly be in front of them. But system was screwed up so some people got shafted. At this point I no longer care.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes we do. The problem is people like myself who registered early in the day on the 19th never got link to buy it. People who registered AFTER us did get link. Their system was screwed up. Those of us who got screwed are, well screwed. Despite registering in time we apparently can't get it Now. That's what a lot of us in this thread are so peeved about.
What was the date/time on your actual purchase receipt that you had to send to Samsung?

Kalelfromkrypton

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
And those that ordered theirs through Best Buy got $100. I can understand Samsung giving themselves the best offer. When Best Buy kept asking me to cancel my Sprint order and buy from them, I asked if they could get it to me In time to GUARANTEE I would in time for the "limited to the first 50,000". Guy said no. I kept my Sprint order.

That was a smart move but still Samsung shouldn't give Samsung Direct customers an advantage on a promotion that has a limited number promotion bundles.

Kalelfromkrypton

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
It's pretty easy. When others registered AFTER the time frame I did, I should clearly be in front of them. But system was screwed up so some people got shafted. At this point I no longer care.

Yes!!! I'm glad I got the VR and controller and oculus content, but I'm still going to stay on Samsung's case about my issue. Lol

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
That's all well and good, but I pre-ordered through Verizon, not Samsung. I did receive the phone on the 19th like many others. But there was about five hours between the phone being delivered and actually activated and another two hours or so before I registered for the bundle via the Shop Samsung app. In that time there were hundreds off thousands of phones already delivered.

The thing is that there were only 50,000 bundles available. Which makes the odds of being able to receive on pretty low.

Since nobody knows where in line they were for both pre-order AND registering for the bundle, this whole argument is pointless.

I received my wife's S8+ from T-Mobile on 4/19. I registered the phone when I got home from work at about 4pm on the shop samsung app. I picked the bundle and it said my selection will be processed. It did not give me a option to buy the bundle. Today when I opened the shop samsung app, it gave me link to buy the bundle. I guess I got lucky.

Kalelfromkrypton

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site

OMG!!! Theelite1x87 look what I just got when I checked my status on the website. It was saying something completely different. There's hope my friend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170421-233339.jpg
    Screenshot_20170421-233339.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 46

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I JUST got another email. This one had a link to purchase it. I went ahead with the transaction right away. Took screenshots of order confirmations just in case but they also emailed me a receipt. I guess our orders were reserved as part of the 50k, we just didn't have link. Thankfully getting the bundle....

Kalelfromkrypton

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I JUST got another email. This one had a link to purchase it. I went ahead with the transaction right away. Took screenshots of order confirmations just in case but they also emailed me a receipt. I guess our orders were reserved as part of the 50k, we just didn't have link. Thankfully getting the bundle....

Yes. I did the same thing. Took screen shots of everything. I got the emial confirmation of the purchase as well but I'm covering my own arse this time lol. Congrats to you. I'm hoping hhmorgan got his because I think he has been through the ringer too.

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes Hmorgan. I just paid the 99$ . It was 105.93 including tax. Free 2 day shipping. This is AWESOME!! Did you get yours, hhmorgan?

No love here yet - 1 was 1 hour behind you today on the call to CS Promotions department. I was told they could see that I had registered for the $99 bundle in the system. The agent asked before I told her - "You received a link that didn't work right" - Yes. "You received an email for Gear VR/Oculus, but no link for $99 bundle to buy right - Yes". She sounded a bit shocked that I've been registered since Tuesday with no response. I will be escalated to Tier 2 CS - resolution and/or call within 48 hrs. Again I was told she saw no reason why this wouldn't get fixed.

Fingers crossed -

My status still shows - (notice it's a clock and not checkmark in Processing Gift)

2017-04-18_18-20-34.png

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After battling on phone, email, twitter, Facebook and chat for 2 days I FINALLY got a link. Didn't work at first, for whatever reason I have to be logged into my Samsung Account when I clicked - seemed like it opened direct to a shopping cart with the item in it. We'll see, it did process the amount and payment.

The GearVR is really what I wanted, the memory card and headphones are nice and on paper are worth it but re-selling always sounds like better idea than it is. If I get them I'll use them but 256gb is really a little overkill. Hoping the headphones are nice, I could actually use a set!

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is weird.

The moment I received my S8 Plus, I registered for the Fully Immersive Gear VR Bundle for $99. But I never got the email to actually purchase it. I did get an approval for just the Gear VR, Controller and Oculus software, and the status page says it'll already be shipped next week.

But, after assuming I missed out on the Fully Immersive Bundle when people posted that the website got updated to reflect that, I just received an email from Samsung Promotions stating that I could buy it.

So, I went to the page and paid for it. Interestingly, it allowed me to select a quantity greater than 1, but after playing around with it, I didn't want to try to risk it and just checked out for 1.

Bottom line, it may be that if you were initially registered for it or you actually paid for it, your spot was one of the 50,000 reserved.

If it works, it works. I just really want that memory card, now that people who received it already are saying its U3-rated. What's also interesting is that the Fully Immersive Gear VR Bundle says and shows it's the Gear VR, controller, Oculus software, AKG Bluetooth headphones, and 256GB microSD card. If the first one goes out, does that mean I'll end up getting two Gear VR and controllers?

The link that you would receive in your email looks like this:
Code:
https://www.samsung.com/us/checkout/#/cart-info/?addItem[]=ET-VRGIFTBNDLE&promocode=XXXXXXXNN
For fun, I tried using that link the second time and realized that the included promo code is a one-time use, as the bundle now comes up as $579 with a notice that the promo code is now invalid.

Screen-Shot-2017-04-22-at-12.02.37-AM.jpg
Exhibit A. Check out the timestamp of the email. You bet I acted on it.

(Update: Apparently as I was slowly typing this, other people have posted above with similar situations. Let's hope it all works for us.)

Last edited:

Kalelfromkrypton

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
No love here yet - 1 was 1 hour behind you today on the call to CS Promotions department. I was told they could see that I had registered for the $99 bundle in the system. The agent asked before I told her - "You received a link that didn't work right" - Yes. "You received an email for Gear VR/Oculus, but no link for $99 bundle to buy right - Yes". She sounded a bit shocked that I've been registered since Tuesday with no response. I will be escalated to Tier 2 CS - resolution and/or call within 48 hrs. Again I was told she saw no reason why this wouldn't get fixed.

Fingers crossed -

My status still shows - (notice it's a clock and not checkmark in Processing Gift)

View attachment 257647

Wow. I think they will get it fixed for you. Samsung has had a butt load is problems with this promo along with the whole red screen thing. Your bundle should be secured since you selected it. Can you go into the app and buy it? Some people are having better luck with the app. I've had an email from a Tier 3 support rep. I guess that's how the ball got rolling a little faster. Keep the forum updated because I would love to know that you got what you registered for. We all have had to deal with this and we all should have our issues with this promo resolved. Keep the faith

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I was able to get in on the Fully Immersive bundle but I do agree that it wasn't handled well. These first come, first serve things with a low supply creates problems when some people receive their phones before launch date. It ends up being a game of trying to choose whichever carrier/retailer will get you the phone first. At the very least - for those people who opted for the bundle, the first 50k that opted for it should be earmarked for one while the rest are put on a waiting list. The 50k would have to be reliably notified and given maybe 24 hours to purchase before it's passed on to the next person on waitlist. Anyway, just thinking out loud on ways how this could have been worked better.

I registered on my desktop, but then I monitored it on the Samsung Shop app. Even though I didn't hear anything via e-mail about my registration (other than it would take 2 weeks) I checked via the app because it was simpler. This afternoon the app it said I was accepted and there was a button to order the bundle. I never received any notification or link via e-mail. This was all discovery on my part via the app. If I did not check the app, I would not have known.

So, the process that was botched up, also botched up the communications.

Kalelfromkrypton

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Ok, this is weird.

The moment I received my S8 Plus, I registered for the Fully Immersive Gear VR Bundle for $99. But I never got the email to actually purchase it. I did get an approval for just the Gear VR, Controller and Oculus software, and the status page says it'll already be shipped next week.

But, after assuming I missed out on the Fully Immersive Bundle when people posted that the website got updated to reflect that, I just received an email from Samsung Promotions stating that I could buy it.

So, I went to the page and paid for it. Interestingly, it allowed me to select a quantity greater than 1, but after playing around with it, I didn't want to try to risk it and just checked out for 1.

Bottom line, it may be that if you were initially registered for it or you actually paid for it, your spot was one of the 50,000 reserved.

If it works, it works. I just really want that memory card, now that people who received it already are saying its U3-rated.

View attachment 257648
Exhibit A. Check out the timestamp of the email. You bet I acted on it.

(Update: Apparently as I was slowly typing this, other people have posted above with similar situations. Let's hope it all works for us.)

I think if You selected more than 1 you would be been charged full price for the others. People that got the $99 bundle noticed that they could select to get more on the Shop but it wasn't 99. It was 500 or something like that. I'm glad you got yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781