S5 to S8+ Transfer Strategies

ryetronics

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
My 8+ is due to arrive tomorrow and I have never been through the process of moving data from one Samsung device to another. I am aware of Samsung Smart Switch, but in watching some videos on how it works, I'm becoming confused if I want to do a full port of all information or just selective apps.

I use the Google suite of apps (mail, calendar, docs, etc) and I am not using the Samsung versions that come preloaded on the phone. I know that Google will automatically manage gmail, calendar and other app specific services, but what I want to avoid is going too far and having Google apps and Samsung apps competing on my device. I remember in my early days with the S5 having to fight with the device to not use Samsung calendar b/c I wanted to stay all in on the google apps (and avoid getting notifications from both calendars).

Also, won't signing into Google on the new device also bring over all of your apps anyway?

Is there a way to transfer how you have your homepages set up?

What is your plan to move everything?

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Smart switch. There's an adapter inside the box. You can hook your old phone up to the new phone. Very simple and awesome

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Be sure to check your contacts using smart switch. Maybe am one of the few that lost a bunch when switching once. I only did a quick glance at names to that there were some there. Though maybe lost a third of them. This was over 2 years ago & not complaining. Just saying to double check that ALL of the info that you want to retain transfers over.

Though have a question reading the ops post. How do you not sign in to Google when setting up a new device? Thought is was required?

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
If I recall, you can specify what SS transfers over to the new device. Since you are going to a different device. Best practices would be to only transfer data (Call Logs, Txt messages and such) if you do a full transfer you may carry over bloat that can cause phone/battery performance issues. better to start clean. (this is based on many years of doing this, flashing custom roms and having been part of a 3000+ corporate phone carrier migration)

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
What would you suggest to get the stuff out of an HTC One M8 to the new Samsung 8+

Kind of depends on you carrier and what you are wanting to carry over. SS can do allot, there are also other options available (some are also carrier specific) I Know AT&T has one.
**For Contacts I have mine set as Google contacts and they will port over when I sign in with my Google acct**

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

memphislawyer

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I am on AT&T and all I really want to carry over is my contacts with your Google and my photos. Call logs, messages, I'm not worried about. I have a few apps that I've downloaded so I can download those again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv