Are you scratch installing or copying/transferring from old phone or backup

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
When you get your new Galaxy S8 or S8+, are you planning on doing a scratch clean install of applications or just transferring apps/data from a backup or your current phone?

These phones have a way of slowing down over time and I'm curious if it would be better to just scratch load all the apps instead of doing a transfer or restore. Setting up Nova and some other things might be a pain though.

I always just did a restore when I had an iPhone, but I might go the clean install route with the S8+. I'm coming from an S7 Edge.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Scratch. Always.

I have no problems setting everything up all over again. Is it sad that I even enjoy it. LOL

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Clean Install is always best, I usually do backup & xfer my call logs/messages. (it gives me a level of continuity i like to have)

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I do both. The phone itself will be a clean setup so I can go through all of the settings during the setup. Most of my apps have cloud based data, but there are some like Nova and Tasker that I restore from backup.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
From scratch. Every time I do a restore from Samsung or Google, I never get my data and settings back, so it seems pointless.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
From scratch. Every time I do a restore from Samsung or Google, I never get my data and settings back, so it seems pointless.

This. Every time I do a restore from Sammy/HTC/etc. and/or Google I end up missing apps and I never get app data. I'll use Helium to back up my app data so I can restore it correctly.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Last year I did it from scratch. Download apps I still use, disable or uninstall bloatware, & get AT&T to copy the old sim to the new one. Put the old SD card in the new device. I then go through all the settings and put the device in a Defender case.