Water Resistance

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This may sound like a silly question, but I've already been burned (though I recovered) once on "water damage" on a Samsung phone. The S8 (or in my case, the S8 Plus) is listed as "Water resistant up to 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes".

The first question, how will Samsung (or the carriers) determine the water exposure? Before, if the moisture indicator showed water exposure, the warranty was voided (that's what happened to me, though my phone was a week old and had NEVER BEEN IN WATER).

Second question almost sounds silly, but my situation would have sounded silly as well - Is the 30 minutes cumulative? In other words, I drop the phone in the pool (shallow end) and grab it in 5 minutes. It happens 6 more times, I'm now at 35 minutes water exposure.

I know these might like silly questions, but I'm gunshy after my Note 5 experience. Phone went wonky literally after a week. Took it back to Best Buy, and they said it LOOKED like it had been in water. Moisture indicator was "partially" tripped (their words), and the camera lens was fogged. But, I had never gotten it wet, not taken near my shower (they asked), etc etc. My best guess is that I had a weekend with the family at a campground (where there were cabins), and I was constantly in and out of an air conditioned cabin into Texas 100+ humid weather. I finally got the phone replaced, but it was a pain.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi hparsons!

These are genuine concerns! I'm sorry you had a previous bad experience with Samsung. While I can't comment yet on the S8/S8+ warranty policy (I should have the warranty paperwork shortly when I receive the device), the biggest thing to remember is the difference between "resistance" and "proof." They determine water exposure by the indicator. If that is tripped, they will not cover your device under warranty. I want to say the S7 active is one of their only devices that has a different warranty type. The S8/S8+ is branded with "water resistance" which I think would classify it under the same rules as years past. If for whatever reason they can show you have mishandled the phone causing water or moisture damage it is the customer responsibility.

Regarding your submersion question, they are simply saying the device should not remain underwater more than 30 minutes consecutively. It isn't a pool (no pun intended) of time that equals 30 minutes and then your submersion time is used up. They just recommend you don't leave it underwater for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps! I just want to set the right expectations. Manufacturers will usually do very little to help you out if it comes at the cost of giving you essentially a free device. Of course, there are alternatives like purchasing insurance, but again those policies have additional rules. I'll be sure to engage that warranty booklet when the device is here.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
When I get a device that's IP68-certified, one of the first things I do is turn it on, immerse it in a transparent container of water for several minutes, and verify that it still works, while videoing the whole process. That way, if there's a gross defect in the water resistance, I'll be able to document that the device failed to meet its advertised specs.

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
This may sound like a silly question, but I've already been burned (though I recovered) once on "water damage" on a Samsung phone. The S8 (or in my case, the S8 Plus) is listed as "Water resistant up to 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes".

The first question, how will Samsung (or the carriers) determine the water exposure? Before, if the moisture indicator showed water exposure, the warranty was voided (that's what happened to me, though my phone was a week old and had NEVER BEEN IN WATER).

Second question almost sounds silly, but my situation would have sounded silly as well - Is the 30 minutes cumulative? In other words, I drop the phone in the pool (shallow end) and grab it in 5 minutes. It happens 6 more times, I'm now at 35 minutes water exposure.

I know these might like silly questions, but I'm gunshy after my Note 5 experience. Phone went wonky literally after a week. Took it back to Best Buy, and they said it LOOKED like it had been in water. Moisture indicator was "partially" tripped (their words), and the camera lens was fogged. But, I had never gotten it wet, not taken near my shower (they asked), etc etc. My best guess is that I had a weekend with the family at a campground (where there were cabins), and I was constantly in and out of an air conditioned cabin into Texas 100+ humid weather. I finally got the phone replaced, but it was a pain.

Well the note 5 wasn't water proof at all so this shouldn't happen with the s8

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
When I get a device that's IP68-certified, one of the first things I do is turn it on, immerse it in a transparent container of water for several minutes, and verify that it still works, while videoing the whole process. That way, if there's a gross defect in the water resistance, I'll be able to document that the device failed to meet its advertised specs.

Hardcore lol

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
That may be what they say, but I'm skeptical they can lawfully refuse coverage if the customer can prove that the phone failed to offer the degree of protection advertised.
I know several people who have S7s and S5s that did not get coverage for water damage. If you look at the fine print I am sure you will find language that limits the coverage.

This article is about the S7 but the language is the same on the S8.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsun...t-but-if-it-springs-a-leak-youre-on-your-own/

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I know several people who have S7s and S5s that did not get coverage for water damage. If you look at the fine print I am sure you will find language that limits the coverage.
Yes, but there are also laws that limit the extent to which the fine print can limit coverage. In general, you can't advertise that a product does X and then refuse responsibility when the product does not do X.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
As long as you don't leave it under water for extended periods of time you should be fine. I went kayaking with my s7 edge and the only thing I noticed is it kept trying to unlock itself when water was beading on the display and it took an hour or so for the speaker to dry out and sound normal again.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but there are also laws that limit the extent to which the fine print can limit coverage. In general, you can't advertise that a product does X and then refuse responsibility when the product does not do X.
Great, those laws, insurance and your deductible will get you a replacement phone in the USA. Search the forums on IP68 phones and find ones who had the warranty cover moisture damage.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
For everyone's viewing pleasure I have provided the warranty page for the Galaxy S8/S8+ received today. I may even like my own post for this kind of deep dive!

IMG_20170420_125936.jpg

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Search the forums on IP68 phones and find ones who had the warranty cover moisture damage.
Find ones who could prove (in the manner I described above) that the phone failed to protect against the specified amount of water exposure, and yet were denied warranty coverage.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Find ones who could prove (in the manner I described above) that the phone failed to protect against the specified amount of water exposure, and yet were denied warranty coverage.
I have read several posts here over the years since the S5 was released of people being surprised they had no claim for moisture damage.

I don't know what you are arguing about, as shown above the S8 warranty does not cover moisture damage. If moisture gets in your phone and damages the phone you have no warranty claim.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what you are arguing about, as shown above the S8 warranty does not cover moisture damage. If moisture gets in your phone and damages the phone you have no warranty claim.
I already explained why that doesn't follow. Yes, Samsung's blurb says they won't cover it. But a company can't just refuse to cover a defect in their product, and it is a defect if the phone doesn't resist water to the extend advertised. The law does not honor that sort of refusal.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi hparsons!

These are genuine concerns! I'm sorry you had a previous bad experience with Samsung. While I can't comment yet on the S8/S8+ warranty policy (I should have the warranty paperwork shortly when I receive the device), the biggest thing to remember is the difference between "resistance" and "proof." They determine water exposure by the indicator. If that is tripped, they will not cover your device under warranty. I want to say the S7 active is one of their only devices that has a different warranty type. The S8/S8+ is branded with "water resistance" which I think would classify it under the same rules as years past. If for whatever reason they can show you have mishandled the phone causing water or moisture damage it is the customer responsibility.

Regarding your submersion question, they are simply saying the device should not remain underwater more than 30 minutes consecutively. It isn't a pool (no pun intended) of time that equals 30 minutes and then your submersion time is used up. They just recommend you don't leave it underwater for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps! I just want to set the right expectations. Manufacturers will usually do very little to help you out if it comes at the cost of giving you essentially a free device. Of course, there are alternatives like purchasing insurance, but again those policies have additional rules. I'll be sure to engage that warranty booklet when the device is here.

It took me 4 S6 Actives to get a properly working one (various issues) and each time I called for exchange shipping, the first thing they had me do was pull the sim tray to see if the water exposure was triggered (something would change color in there).
It's advertised to be used under water but the reality is, it falls under the same warranty.

Had an S7 Active as well but it worked properly out of the box.

That being said, I did use them all under water and no issues thank God ;)

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Great, those laws, insurance and your deductible will get you a replacement phone in the USA. Search the forums on IP68 phones and find ones who had the warranty cover moisture damage.

My husband got his S5 wet by accident within a few days of owning it and the phone went bonkers. I took it to our Samsung repair location and they gave him a replacement phone because the phone failed some kind of pressure test they performed. I would have to say that they will replace a phone for moisture damage if it is truly defective.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I really wish media outlets would put some fire under Samsung and other manufactures about this. They advertise the phones as water resistant (Even have ads showing it being subjected to wet conditions) but then they say if device fails due to water getting inside they aren't responsible. I think that's bull. My device is ADVERTISED to service up to 1.5m for 30mins. If it fails that and gets damaged, that's not on me. Device is defective per their own claims and ratings. They should replace it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084