07-31-2017 06:22 PM
88 1234
tools
    Textra, fo sho.

-Phil
    04-21-2017 09:30 AM
    I used the iPhone equivalent of Chomp on my jailbroken iPhone many moons ago. It was called Bite SMS and looked identical to the Android version. It was pretty good.
    i loved Bite SMS when i used to JB my iPhones. I use Textra now on the S8, but may have to check out Chomp
    04-21-2017 09:39 AM
    I use Verizon messaging app. Works with wifi
    zoomis likes this.
    04-21-2017 09:42 AM
    I haven't even bought my S8 yet but the answer is ALWAYS Textra!!!
    04-21-2017 02:34 PM
    Allo..... Oh wait.....
    04-21-2017 02:49 PM
    Use the stock one.
    04-21-2017 02:50 PM
    I used textra with the v20 but am using the samsung default for the time being with my s8+. It works okay but doesn't have gif ability which makes me want to switch back to textra. Also, way less customization ability.
    04-21-2017 03:04 PM
    On my Note4: Used GoSMS Pro til I got tired of sending/recieving MMS messages. They had a option for TMo users to fix it (switches to cell to dl then switch back to WiFi). Liked the customization on it.

Then used Google Messages but was taking forever to send/receive messages.

So I went to stock Samsung messages. Worked the best.

Haven't tried the other two on my S7e or S8+. Might test it out just to see.
    04-21-2017 03:12 PM
    Textra, Verizon messages and Samsung are my favorites.
    04-21-2017 03:19 PM
    Installed Textra. I like the customization. Only issue is it's not updated. Doesn't show any text past Tuesday....Hmmm.

Same thing with GoSMS and Google Messages. Tues is the current text it shows.

Restart didn't fix it. Anyone else have any ideas?
    04-21-2017 04:36 PM
    I'm having the same issue with Android Messages on my at&t S8. Can't send MMS if connected to WiFi. It worked fine on my at&t S7 Edge. I'm not sure what's different. Hope there is a fix for this at some point. Works fine with stock Samsung Messages app, so will use that for now.
    04-22-2017 01:25 AM
    Usually Textra all the way, but currently using stock messenging app. But will probably switch in couple days
    04-22-2017 02:49 AM
    The Samsung app is somewhat bare bones, but it does talk to the Gear watches. The others don't. Meaning you may get notifications on the watch, but you cannot reply to a text from your watch. I find the quick replies very helpful and a time saver.....

If only Samsung would add better emojis and animated GIF support like the Android Messages app does..
    04-23-2017 08:56 PM
    I concur with Textra. Though it has some bugs using it with T-Mobile. But there is a setting specifically for T-Mobile and that seems to resolve it. There are still some issues, but the stock app also has the same bugs so I'm assuming those are on their end. I've been using the stock app on my s7 and now my s8 for better gear s3 integration, but it seems I haven't really used any of the features I gain on the watch from using the stock app. I may switch back soon. The stock app on phone is a bit frustrating.
    I love textra too, but have problems with texting also on Tmobile. My wife sent me a Meme like 3 hours ago and it still hasnt shown up. But I got it instantly on the default SMS app. What setting did you change to get it to work?

Thanks
    04-24-2017 10:44 PM
    I've always used go sms pro and have been happy with the customization and overall performance of the app. It also works well with my gear s2.
    04-24-2017 11:23 PM
    I'm really liking the stock messaging app so far, normally my go to is Textra
    blaine07 likes this.
    04-24-2017 11:28 PM
    I use Google Messages primarily because I am able to send GIF's (Clearly for business purposes lol). Any word on Samsung app having this ability now?
    I got a gif yesterday before i switched to Google messages and it worked.
    04-25-2017 12:37 AM
    To all the Textra users: Is there a way to change the settings so you can just delete the text with a wipe to the right, and not have press again on the little garbage can icon? This seems minor, but for me it added up to dozens of extra steps over the course of the week, whereas with Google Messages you just swipe right. The other thing I like about the Google app is it throws up your most frequent texting contacts at the top (so you can just tap on one) when you begin composing a new text, so you don't even have to start typing their name.

Textra is prettier to look at, but those two issues meant saving more time and less tapping for me, which is why I have stuck with Google Messages. If these can be changed I would give Textra another try.
    04-25-2017 06:23 AM
    To all the Textra users: Is there a way to change the settings so you can just delete the text with a wipe to the right, and not have press again on the little garbage can icon? This seems minor, but for me it added up to dozens of extra steps over the course of the week, whereas with Google Messages you just swipe right. The other thing I like about the Google app is it throws up your most frequent texting contacts at the top (so you can just tap on one) when you begin composing a new text, so you don't even have to start typing their name.

Textra is prettier to look at, but those two issues meant saving more time and less tapping for me, which is why I have stuck with Google Messages. If these can be changed I would give Textra another try.
    Bump.
    04-25-2017 12:32 PM
    Bump.
    No direct swipe delete in textra. Gotta hit the can.

When I start a new text in Textra it displays my favorites without having to type. You have to set them as favorites in your contacts first though.
    04-25-2017 12:45 PM
    I have also noticed that in the Samsung messaging app itoads YouTube links in the thread, not just the link.
    04-26-2017 07:59 AM
    Hi folks is the stock message app good?
    I upgraded from an S5 to an S8 and am not happy with the messaging system. If I try to send a pic with a text, the pic gets sent separately from the text. So...the other person receives my text, with no pic, wonders what the heck I am talking about, then eventually a couple of minutes later gets the pic.

very frustrating.

carrier is AT&T, if that makes a difference
    04-27-2017 12:06 PM
    Stock app
    04-27-2017 12:25 PM
    Stock Text App ticks my needs boxes.

felloffthetruck likes this.
    04-27-2017 12:34 PM
    I upgraded from an S5 to an S8 and am not happy with the messaging system. If I try to send a pic with a text, the pic gets sent separately from the text. So...the other person receives my text, with no pic, wonders what the heck I am talking about, then eventually a couple of minutes later gets the pic.

very frustrating.

carrier is AT&T, if that makes a difference
    Are you accidently hitting send before you write a message?
    I also came from s5 on att. I'm not having that problem.
    04-27-2017 12:34 PM
88 1234