Best texting app for S8 plus?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
To all the Textra users: Is there a way to change the settings so you can just delete the text with a wipe to the right, and not have press again on the little garbage can icon? This seems minor, but for me it added up to dozens of extra steps over the course of the week, whereas with Google Messages you just swipe right. The other thing I like about the Google app is it throws up your most frequent texting contacts at the top (so you can just tap on one) when you begin composing a new text, so you don't even have to start typing their name.

Textra is prettier to look at, but those two issues meant saving more time and less tapping for me, which is why I have stuck with Google Messages. If these can be changed I would give Textra another try.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
To all the Textra users: Is there a way to change the settings so you can just delete the text with a wipe to the right, and not have press again on the little garbage can icon? This seems minor, but for me it added up to dozens of extra steps over the course of the week, whereas with Google Messages you just swipe right. The other thing I like about the Google app is it throws up your most frequent texting contacts at the top (so you can just tap on one) when you begin composing a new text, so you don't even have to start typing their name.

Textra is prettier to look at, but those two issues meant saving more time and less tapping for me, which is why I have stuck with Google Messages. If these can be changed I would give Textra another try.

Bump.

HawkFanInMO

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi folks is the stock message app good?

I upgraded from an S5 to an S8 and am not happy with the messaging system. If I try to send a pic with a text, the pic gets sent separately from the text. So...the other person receives my text, with no pic, wonders what the heck I am talking about, then eventually a couple of minutes later gets the pic.

very frustrating.

carrier is AT&T, if that makes a difference

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from an S5 to an S8 and am not happy with the messaging system. If I try to send a pic with a text, the pic gets sent separately from the text. So...the other person receives my text, with no pic, wonders what the heck I am talking about, then eventually a couple of minutes later gets the pic.

very frustrating.

carrier is AT&T, if that makes a difference

Are you accidently hitting send before you write a message?
I also came from s5 on att. I'm not having that problem.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Textra used to be my go to app a while ago. Then I went with Android (Google) messenger. I don't care for all the customization stuff anymore. But stock messaging apps on Android flagships are pretty good now including the one on this device. Only wish it had gif supoort. Once Android messages fix the MMS over WiFi bug then I will probably go back to that. So the top 3 options I suggest in no particular order:

1. Samsung stock
2. Android messages
3. Textra

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I always end up going back to Textra. I tried the stock app but I like the customization of Textra.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I used to use Android Messages (Google messenger) in my other phones but sticking to stock messages app on the S8+ because it gives me option to mark the message as read in pop up notifications which is super useful to me.

DaHui623

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The stock Samsung app was pretty good, but I'm using Textra. Mainly because of the customization options and the ability to respond from the notification drop down.