Best texting app for S8 plus?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I used to use Android Messages (Google messenger) in my other phones but sticking to stock messages app on the S8+ because it gives me option to mark the message as read in pop up notifications which is super useful to me.

Textra does this :-x

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
YAATA

Weird name, but a very customizable, non-resource hog texting app. I love it, but my Gear S2 won't sync messages with the app if I use it as default.

I can only get Verizon Message+ or the crappy stock Samsung app to fully integrate with the gear S2.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Textra used to be my go to app a while ago. Then I went with Android (Google) messenger. I don't care for all the customization stuff anymore. But stock messaging apps on Android flagships are pretty good now including the one on this device. Only wish it had gif supoort. Once Android messages fix the MMS over WiFi bug then I will probably go back to that. So the top 3 options I suggest in no particular order:

1. Samsung stock
2. Android messages
3. Textra
What bug? Im using android messages and i dont think i have a problem.

deanosdaddyo

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I was using Textra but I really like the link preview the stock Samsung app gives. I hate looking at a text with a YouTube or website link and having no idea what it is before clicking on it.

michael24j

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It was ok, but didn't like links wouldn't open on chrome browser, so I went back to Textra which is a great texting/customizable app! If you want edge lights, download edge lights for $2.54? That works good on s8, customize apps to color it glows in the screen!

MoxxieB

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I use SMS backup+. It works with any text/SMS you're using and backs up all text to your Gmail to a separate folder you can mark as read so no notifications doubling up. Used it for years, still go back to find things from old text. One of the best apps I've ever had as far as usefulness goes. Install and let it be.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of different messaging apps and I always end up going back to stock. There are some native features that can only be achieved with the stock messaging app. For example, when you click in your photo gallery to find a picture to send and hit share, your most common contacts will come right up or you can select the messaging app. With a third party app, you can't select the common contacts. You have to choose the app and then select the contact. It's a minor thing but I like that feature.

I was using Handcent for a while and I love the customization. To each his own but I hate the way Textra looks. It's just boring flat colors. I like to be able to set images as my background in my messages. With Handcent you can do this on the contact level so you can have a different image background for each contact. You can also link it to your computer and text right from your computer. As far as customization goes, I think Handcent is king. The problem with it is that it is really heavy handed (probably because of the level of customization options).

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Google's Messages app after trying everything else under the sun. They all have almost too many options but none have the right combination for me it seems. Messages is so simple and o just appreciate that lately haha

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of different messaging apps and I always end up going back to stock. There are some native features that can only be achieved with the stock messaging app. For example, when you click in your photo gallery to find a picture to send and hit share, your most common contacts will come right up or you can select the messaging app. With a third party app, you can't select the common contacts. You have to choose the app and then select the contact. It's a minor thing but I like that feature.

I was using Handcent for a while and I love the customization. To each his own but I hate the way Textra looks. It's just boring flat colors. I like to be able to set images as my background in my messages. With Handcent you can do this on the contact level so you can have a different image background for each contact. You can also link it to your computer and text right from your computer. As far as customization goes, I think Handcent is king. The problem with it is that it is really heavy handed (probably because of the level of customization options).

I get the most common contacts pop up for textra when I go to share things from other apps. Exactly what you've described. I don't think that's really limited to the stock messaging app, it's just that not every third party app supports it yet.

You got me thinking about handcent now. Something about Textra def has me bored lately. Could just be me though, I get bored easily when it comes to certain things lol

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty boring but i use the default sms app on my s8+ XD don't really care about how it looks as long as it sends the messages (i don't even do mms just basic sms)

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I get the most common contacts pop up for textra when I go to share things from other apps. Exactly what you've described. I don't think that's really limited to the stock messaging app, it's just that not every third party app supports it yet.

You got me thinking about handcent now. Something about Textra def has me bored lately. Could just be me though, I get bored easily when it comes to certain things lol

Oh that's good to know. I know with Handcent it wasn't doing that. At least it wasn't with my S7 Edge and V20 anyway. I never really got too far with Textra because I just hated the bland look of it. Functionality wise, it's awesome. I just really like to have a background, like I said.

Handcent is crazy as far as customization, like I mentioned. It also has delayed sending and you can set it to send messages in the future so you won't forget birthdays and whatnot. It's worth checking out. It's a little heavy handed though. It's slightly slower opening up for the first time after it's been cleared from the recent apps but it is a nice app.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Oh that's good to know. I know with Handcent it wasn't doing that. At least it wasn't with my S7 Edge and V20 anyway. I never really got too far with Textra because I just hated the bland look of it. Functionality wise, it's awesome. I just really like to have a background, like I said.

Handcent is crazy as far as customization, like I mentioned. It also has delayed sending and you can set it to send messages in the future so you won't forget birthdays and whatnot. It's worth checking out. It's a little heavy handed though. It's slightly slower opening up for the first time after it's been cleared from the recent apps but it is a nice app.

Yea I have experience with Handcent from a few years ago but always came back to Textra. I'm sure it's changed considerably since then, though it's no surprise it's still a heavy app. It's always been amongst the top customizable texting apps. I love that you can customize literally everything, but that's a bit overwhelming sometimes, so it could tend to discourage some people from learning/using the app. Not saying that's what happened with me, but just saying...

Have you tried YAATA yet? It's crazy customizable, just like handcent, but if my memory serves I believe it was still a speedy application to use.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea I have experience with Handcent from a few years ago but always came back to Textra. I'm sure it's changed considerably since then, though it's no surprise it's still a heavy app. It's always been amongst the top customizable texting apps. I love that you can customize literally everything, but that's a bit overwhelming sometimes, so it could tend to discourage some people from learning/using the app. Not saying that's what happened with me, but just saying...

Have you tried YAATA yet? It's crazy customizable, just like handcent, but if my memory serves I believe it was still a speedy application to use.

Yes, Handcent is a bit overwhelming at first for sure! Once you dive in and get going, it's pretty awesome though. No, I haven't even heard of YAATA. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I concur with Textra. Though it has some bugs using it with T-Mobile. But there is a setting specifically for T-Mobile and that seems to resolve it. There are still some issues, but the stock app also has the same bugs so I'm assuming those are on their end. I've been using the stock app on my s7 and now my s8 for better gear s3 integration, but it seems I haven't really used any of the features I gain on the watch from using the stock app. I may switch back soon. The stock app on phone is a bit frustrating.

What bugs with T-Mobile are you experiencing, and what setting are you speaking of? I have issues with Textra and T-Mobile too, mostly with Group (MMS). Don't know of any settings change. I've since gone back to the stock message app.