those that have the S8, anyone seeing Red?

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
S8+ Black on Sprint.
Absolutely pink and being a photographer I won't stay with this.
We checked the only other two available at my Best Buy and both had the exact same issue to differing degrees.
It is treatable by decreasing the red in Adaptive Display but I never use that setting.
The other 3 are non adjustable and all three exhibit the issue.
It can be seen straight on, at various angles, along the edges etc.

This is not simply that Samsung "warmed" the screen up a bit. This is a hardware issue.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Well there's no way they will recall this! Just cover it up with a software tweak update, hard to believe this is actually a issue

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
https://www.xda-developers.com/south-korean-samsung-galaxy-s8s-owners-facing-reddish-display-issue/

Funny article... Samsung purposely developed deep red display panels to avoid the possible issue of too much green. Well I guess they took care of the green. :p And the part of it's not a quality problem but if sw fix still doesn't fix then they'll exchange it. :confused:

Eh, just first run problems and such to sort out. Always gotta do some tweaks when manufacturing. The vid below shows the guy using a NIX color sensor to get RGB readings... you'd think Samsung would have similar tests to make sure no screens go out the factory outside tolerances. Guess, they'll have to up there QC with a 8 point screen test.

In future runs I imagine the QC will be upped and no issues of pink screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTQr6VwMfBI&t=321s

bytheriver

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So, I had the issue with my Verizon 8+ ..I posted earlier. They overnighted a replacement...the new phone still has some red on the edges , but definitely not as bad. I also didn't realize how " pink " my entire display was ( in the first device). I'm not 100% satisfied,but the replacement is better so I'm keeping it for now.

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
S8+ ordered direct from Samsung and it's an AT&T model. I have a pink halo around my display. The funny thing is I am pretty sure the first few days the pink was confined to the very extreme edge of the edges. I do believe the pink tint seems to be spreading inward. Because I was happy to ignore it when it was just the very edges but now I can't ignore it.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
S8+ ordered direct from Samsung and it's an AT&T model. I have a pink halo around my display. The funny thing is I am pretty sure the first few days the pink was confined to the very extreme edge of the edges. I do believe the pink tint seems to be spreading inward. Because I was happy to ignore it when it was just the very edges but now I can't ignore it.

Yikes hope that doesn't happen to mine

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
If Samsung 'intended' to put a warmer screen on the S8 then why is there such differing levels of pink on the screens? Some models it's confined to the edges, others the whole screen and mine only the top half is affected!

It's a problem that was unforseen and they are trying their best to limit the damage i think.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
So, I had the issue with my Verizon 8+ ..I posted earlier. They overnighted a replacement...the new phone still has some red on the edges , but definitely not as bad. I also didn't realize how " pink " my entire display was ( in the first device). I'm not 100% satisfied,but the replacement is better so I'm keeping it for now.

Verizon overnighted a replacement or Samsung?

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the red tint as noted earlier and I'm thinking through this. If it is a software problem, shouldn't all of the phones have the same problem? I'll exchange mine.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have the red tint as noted earlier and I'm thinking through this. If it is a software problem, shouldn't all of the phones have the same problem? I'll exchange mine.
My thought or understanding is its a manufacturing problem not software and it does not affect all more of a quality control issue there going to try correcting with software it that doesn't work there will be replacements

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't accept any level of red... whether the entire screen or just a corner or band along the side. They will replace it, and keep replacing it until you get one that isn't defective. Don't feel as though Samsung, or Verizon, or Best Buy is doing you a favor here... You purchased a product and expect it to function properly. And these damn things ain't cheap.

Don't accept one that is messed up.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
In any case, they offer good warranty. Had the internals of a galaxy A7 replaced after some 4 weeks after purchasing, due to lockups. They will do the same if their software tweaks don't work on all phones.

As for the rest, I also have the red reflection line on the right side. Some extra red when tilting the device but nearly gone when looking at the side. I have it almost the same now as my iPhone 6 plus. Checked it with various webpages and apps, side by side keeping the brightness more or less the same.
So in my case the unusable amoled modes should be able to get less red after their tweak.
Fingers crossed and otherwise I will ask for a replacement also.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't accept any level of red... whether the entire screen or just a corner or band along the side. They will replace it, and keep replacing it until you get one that isn't defective. Don't feel as though Samsung, or Verizon, or Best Buy is doing you a favor here... You purchased a product and expect it to function properly. And these damn things ain't cheap.

This.

I had a dead pixel or two within the middle of my screen on my first S8 +. I exchanged it same day. Best Buy had no issues exchanging it as all the reps agreed they could see it as well.

My new one is perfect :).

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. I've had several phones over the years that have had to be replaced for one issue or another. It can be a hassle, especially if you work everyday. But Im not spending $700+ to not be happy with the results. I'd say download the update, and if you aren't 100 percent satisfied, get another unit and don't even think twice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar