those that have the S8, anyone seeing Red?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been watching a lot of online video reviews of the S8 compared to the LG G6 and almost all of them show the S8 with a red tinged background when it is supposed to be white. Very obvious when looking at the LG and S8 side by side with a white background. Because of this, I've been holding off upgrading to the S8 until there's some viable resolution.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the red tint. I took it to Best Buy on Samsung's instructions to talk to the rep there for Sammy and he couldn't do anything to fix it. I called Samsung back ( I bought it directly from them) and they wouldn't do an exchange??? They will only take a return for a full refund. So, I am sending it back. Well, I just bought G6 on Swappa. After the Note 7, and the crap updates with my S7 unlocked version, I'm done. I'm so disappointed. I really liked this phone other than the tint. I bet it's hardware. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Buying an S8+ is like playing Russian roulette at this point. A huge number of devices have faulty screens and it seems to be pure luck if you get a good one. On my third device now and that one is the worst one yet. I'm not sure if they even sell faultless ones in Europe at this point - I've yet to see one.

I'll exchange it one more time - if the next one is still bad, I'll keep it for VR and get an LG G6 for daily use instead. They're selling them at 550.- here now after a trade-in.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
i just went to pcworld in uk and saw 2 s8. one of them had the pink tint and the other had a blue/green tint. when i asked the guy about the issue he said there is nothing wrong with them lol.

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Where the **** is the fix that they promised this week? I have a return label.coming for the phone, but I might cancel if the software patch works. Highly doubtful though.

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Where the **** is the fix that they promised this week? I have a return label.coming for the phone, but I might cancel if the software patch works. Highly doubtful though.
Korea has already had the update but trying to find out online whether it has worked or not has revealed nothing. Why it can't be rolled out to all devices (just like apple would) is beyond me.

I'm on my 2nd defective red screen device and awaiting my third to see if that is free of the red screen but to be honest I'm getting a bit pi$$ed off with this phone now.

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Korea has already had the update but trying to find out online whether it has worked or not has revealed nothing. Why it can't be rolled out to all devices (just like apple would) is beyond me.

I'm on my 2nd defective red screen device and awaiting my third to see if that is free of the red screen but to be honest I'm getting a bit pi$$ed off with this phone now.
Agree. If I hadn't been through the Note7 debacle and then with little to no updates on the replacement S7 after that, it has made it harder for me to not just walk away. I'm sorry to hear you've been through two already. Once you see that pink tint, it can't be unseen.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Seems that I was wrong - Samsung has indeed added an option to correct the color on the edges of the screen. Also the update has begun to roll out in Europe (UK, Germany etc) but it hasn't hit Switzerland yet. Which might be a problem as I need to return mine on Tuesday and I'd hate to do so if the fix takes care of the problem.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Theirs been some good conversations on wether the fix being rolled out could help with what's being sometimes labelled as a hardware issue.

Others have said that playing around with those colour controls in the display settings can mess up how overall the colour ratio looks on the phone.

When I picked up my s8 from the Samsung Experience Store in the U.K I fired it up in the store.

Both to check it booted up ok , make sure there was no scratches or marks and to have a peek at the whiteness of the display. Man I probably looked at angles of the screen that probably don't exist! All is good with it.

I looked at the display models in quite a few shops and to my very limited experiment it seemed to be the s8 + models that were predominantly affected by this tint.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree - from what I've seen it's mainly the S8+ models that have the issue. And yeah, meddling with the color sliders can easily mess up the screen's color configuration. It's easily reset, though.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I agree - from what I've seen it's mainly the S8+ models that have the issue. And yeah, meddling with the color sliders can easily mess up the screen's color configuration. It's easily reset, though.

It would make things a little easier to change those if a % figure was next to each slider so people could compare settings.

maelji9

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
My S8+ has the pink edge issue, however I'm beginning to wonder if all of the phones don't have the problem. I went to Verizon to exchange mine, which they agreed to do, and while I waited I checked out the display S8's - everyone had the pink edges, to a greater or lesser degree. Then the clerk brought out a replacement - it had the pink edges. We went through 4 more pbones w pink edges B4 he told me we couldn't open anymore. I kept the phone and proceeded to Att&t to check out their demo models - pink edges on all. Then I went to Best Buy and looked at their floor models. Yup, all pink edges. Yet some of u claim not to have the pink edges. I'm wondering if some of us are just more fussy than others, and it's we who are noticing it, as it is fairly slight in appearance. In fact , many people I've showed it to don't see it, even after I've pointed it out. However , others have noticed it, including the Verizon guy who helped me find a pinkless phone. In sum, I kept the phone (as I can't find one that isn't pink edged), and I'm patiently awaiting some kind of exolaination or fix.

jakebake

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My S8+ has the pink edge issue, however I'm beginning to wonder if all of the phones don't have the problem. I went to Verizon to exchange mine, which they agreed to do, and while I waited I checked out the display S8's - everyone had the pink edges, to a greater or lesser degree. Then the clerk brought out a replacement - it had the pink edges. We went through 4 more pbones w pink edges B4 he told me we couldn't open anymore. I kept the phone and proceeded to Att&t to check out their demo models - pink edges on all. Then I went to Best Buy and looked at their floor models. Yup, all pink edges. Yet some of u claim not to have the pink edges. I'm wondering if some of us are just more fussy than others, and it's we who are noticing it, as it is fairly slight in appearance. In fact , many people I've showed it to don't see it, even after I've pointed it out. However , others have noticed it, including the Verizon guy who helped me find a pinkless phone. In sum, I kept the phone (as I can't find one that isn't pink edged), and I'm patiently awaiting some kind of exolaination or fix.

careful...I mentioned this same thing and people got offended...I however am inclined to agree with you. Like I said earlier in this thread I showed my GF the issue and she hardly noticed it and had to really inspect it to even notice it slightly. I also think if I never read this thread I might not have notice either. *shrug*

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I think the Infinity display has more red tint than previous Samsung phones. Mine is so faint that I only notice it when I'm REALLY looking for it.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would be more concerned if the entire screen had a red tint rather than just the edges. Nevertheless, once you know it's there you can't stop obsessing over it!

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I think it is all or nearly all. The thing is, I think we have a right to be fussy. Samsung shipped a phone that has issues with color calibration. I hope they get it corrected,before my return label arrives, with the software fix. If not, I have the G6 to go back to and I'll call it a day. Another poster mentioned that once you see it, you can't unsee it. Unfortunately that is the case for me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae