those that have the S8, anyone seeing Red?

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
My S8+ has the pink edge issue, however I'm beginning to wonder if all of the phones don't have the problem. I went to Verizon to exchange mine, which they agreed to do, and while I waited I checked out the display S8's - everyone had the pink edges, to a greater or lesser degree. Then the clerk brought out a replacement - it had the pink edges. We went through 4 more pbones w pink edges B4 he told me we couldn't open anymore. I kept the phone and proceeded to Att&t to check out their demo models - pink edges on all. Then I went to Best Buy and looked at their floor models. Yup, all pink edges. Yet some of u claim not to have the pink edges. I'm wondering if some of us are just more fussy than others, and it's we who are noticing it, as it is fairly slight in appearance. In fact , many people I've showed it to don't see it, even after I've pointed it out. However , others have noticed it, including the Verizon guy who helped me find a pinkless phone. In sum, I kept the phone (as I can't find one that isn't pink edged), and I'm patiently awaiting some kind of exolaination or fix.
The curved glass on the edges makes the screen look different depending on what angle you look at it from. It's obvious to me that it's the glass and not a defect. It doesn't bother me.

maelji9

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree 100%. Its practically a $1000 phone. I'm not gonna settle for a screwed up display, however slight or insignificant it appears to others. Point is - I can see it and it bugs me. The software fix just debuted in India and apparently it includes an adjuster made specifically for the edges of the screen. So hopefully we'll know soon if it worked. If not, my note 5 is coming off the bench.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think it is all or nearly all. The thing is, I think we have a right to be fussy. Samsung shipped a phone that has issues with color calibration. I hope they get it corrected,before my return label arrives, with the software fix. If not, I have the G6 to go back to and I'll call it a day. Another poster mentioned that once you see it, you can't unsee it. Unfortunately that is the case for me.
I have to agree. I've personally had 2 and a third one coming in (although I'll probably keep no 2 as it's pointless to get it exchanged). And I've seen several display units and all of the ones I've had or seen had the pink edge issue. I don't think it's an optical thing, though, as some of them were considerably worse than others.

I have seen an S8 (not plus) that had a completely white screen.

I also believe that some people see it more than others. My wife never sees pink / red tints on phone screens. I always do (when there is one, that is :) the thing is, human eyes are made so that they can see a huge number of hues of green but not very many red tones. So most people probably really don't see it.

zigaliro

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
careful...I mentioned this same thing and people got offended...I however am inclined to agree with you. Like I said earlier in this thread I showed my GF the issue and she hardly noticed it and had to really inspect it to even notice it slightly. I also think if I never read this thread I might not have notice either. *shrug*

Exacly, I showed my phone to my cousin and she was like "red screen? What are you talking about? I don`t see any red", but I did see red screen.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The curved glass on the edges makes the screen look different depending on what angle you look at it from. It's obvious to me that it's the glass and not a defect. It doesn't bother me.
the color distortion is showing on the top and bottom edges as well so nothing to do with the curvature of the screen...

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My S8+ had a very limited amount of red tint at the edges, told the guy at Best Buy Mobile just happened the Samsung rep was there and he recommended a phone swap so I agreed. Can't believe how much the new screen is improved. Almost seems like a different phone he even commented that the shipment's after the prerelease seem to have a sharper and more consistent display, even some of the stock apps look different. Yes I did the OTA update on the first one second one came updated.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Ooh boy ^^^^^now everyone will exchange there phone

As they should. I'm not sure why anyone would be intimidated into keeping a defective phone. The rep is going to try and talk you out of it, that's their job to control inventory. But this is YOUR money, not theirs.

I go in and tell them what I want, point blank.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
See any pink??

Any pink?? Pic taken with iPhone 7+

e951c240fbcbd0b587f0a88d0a6afc12.jpg

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: See any pink??

More importantly, can you? ;)

But if it was a test question, I'd say the notification bar area maybe? I can't zoom in...

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site

Yours looks immaculate in comparison jjinal.

Do you see the screen red/pink on the one of jjinal? I see his and the one of the right on my picture white and the one of the left of my picture red lol.

I'm not returning or anything but it does look different from the one on the right.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

Do you see the screen red/pink on the one of jjinal? I see his and the one of the right on my picture white and the one of the left of my picture red lol.

I'm not returning or anything but it does look different from the one on the right.

Not jjinal's. Just yours on the left. I'm on mobile and not able to zoom his pic. For some reason his notification bar area looked a little pink maybe?
So hard to say with what I'm working with, but more importantly after you posted your screenshot his looks fine.

I think I had a placebo affect from thread title ;)

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site

If you have to look hard and ask people on a forum if they see pink then I would just keep it.

Let's say the very top is a very slight, faint pink, it's not like it's going to effect the picture quality. So what.

Just like how some displays are more blue or yellow.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site

Not jjinal's. Just yours on the left. I'm on mobile and not able to zoom his pic. For some reason his notification bar area looked a little pink maybe?
So hard to say with what I'm working with, but more importantly after you posted your screenshot his looks fine.

I think I had a placebo affect from thread title ;)

Oh ok got you, read it wrong the first time for some reason I read "in comparison to jjinal's"

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site

I see the forum is gaining more separate 'Pink screen' threads.

I picked up my s8 and no pink.

It looks to me it's the s8+ models that are dominant in this particular problem.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't see it much at all. I did notice some along the sides but it wasn't very apparent and it seems noticeably faded.