bluetooth range is awful

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
so not sure if its a bad phone or not, but bluetooth range seems weaker than my S7E, I cant get too far from my Gear S3 without it dropping the bluetooth connection, bluetooth 5.0 was said to offer a stronger connection, Im not seeing it...........

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
so not sure if its a bad phone or not, but bluetooth range seems weaker than my S7E, I cant get too far from my Gear S3 without it dropping the bluetooth connection, bluetooth 5.0 was said to offer a stronger connection, Im not seeing it...........

Maybe there's something in the settings that need to be tweaked for the watch.

Denisej

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow! Hate to hear that. I'm planning to have the same setup as you. I have the watch but no phone yet. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth 5 has greater range, for Bluetooth 5 devices. New features NEVER fell back to previous versions of Bluetooth.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have the gear S3 + S7 phone the phone will connect to the gear S3 and my car at the same time, today I left the gear at home and on my way back it reconnected while I was pulling into the driveway so the watch definitely has some good range to it

balloch

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm noticing this as well with my s8+, my Gear S3 keeps going into standalone mode for 10 secs or so then connects again, I'm only 10 - 15 metres away, very frustrating.

Upon speaking to Samsung about it they told me the bluetooth range is 10 metres - Okay!

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Yeah same here. Definitely noticed a drop in bluetooth range since previous phones. My ZenWatch 2 disconnects quite often just around the house if I leave my phone in another room.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
On my S7 with the gear S3 I can go 3 houses down the block before it disconnects, but it you have WiFi at home it should stay remotely connected any way

kicks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The Bluetooth range for my Garmin Vivoactive HR seems to have gotten worse as well. I used to be able to walk to the water cooler at work (about 20-30' away) and not lose connection. Now I lose connection less than 15' away

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

I have noticed the same exact thing with my Frontier.

jtodd76

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm truly happy to hear other people are having this problem. I understand my Gear 3 doesn't have BT 5.0 but I sure didn't expect it to be worse than my previous Galaxy S7E! Why is this happening?? I walked from my bedoom to the bathroom and it dropped. That's probably not quite 30 feet and only one wall in between. Frustrating.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Not having any issues here. Also, Bluetooth has no problem working with multiple devices at once, but some things like the audio profile it allows only one instance of because there wasn't any reason to have more then one running.

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I brought up this issue a week ago and got roasted for asking about it. I was told that Samsung clearly explained you needed newer bt headphones to take advantage of the new technology in the phone. I'm glad to see other folks had an impression that the range would have been better out of the box.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My 8+ has been doing great with Bluetooth. None of the audio hiccups like with my Note 4 and Note 7. Stable and smooth with no apparent range issues for my use anyway.