What keyboard are you using?

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you get more than the 3 next word suggestion limits on other keyboards and the words constantly move to the next letter. Plus it learns sentences you use often.
Great timesaver too with swipe back to delete last word (two finger swipe back for two words etc...).
Quick language change will long pressing the space bar. You can add the languages in the keyboard settings menu.
There is also a setting for those who prefer swipe typing.
Gonna give it a go for another day. The flick up is cool, but having no number row and no punctuation marks on the main keyboard part is kind of annoying.

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Gonna give it a go for another day. The flick up is cool, but having no number row and no punctuation marks on the main keyboard part is kind of annoying.

I don't mind that personally. Clicking the symbol key on the bottom left brings number & symbols up. Plus I like it witout the top number row because it makes for a shorter keyboard which shows more screen content.
The flicking words up features saves a lot more typing time than the split second it takes to click the symbol button in everyday typing, so it's a worthwhile trade-off.

anon(5990673)

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Holy moly it's kind of weird with all the hovering predictions. Thought it was misaligned or something like that. But damn the flicking is pretty damn cool

You can also use word substitution and instead of punching out a long work, put in a short cut and out comes the desired word.
It word substitution also works with other languages.

Adam Duncan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I came from a Moto X Pure Edition and I now have the S8 and immediately switched to Gboard. I've never been a big fan of Swiftkey but I loved Swype when it first came out.

Since I had the first Moto X it's been Google keyboards all the way for me. No other keyboard is as good at understanding my crap typing than Gboard.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have both Swiftkey and GBoard installed. GBoard definitely improved from when it first came out, the auto prediction is good, BUT, Im a lightning texter and my fingers move and blazing speeds on the touchscreen, and Swiftkey has been the best at correcting at my speed, so Swiftkey for me!

I do wish SwiftKey had GIF support and more customization though

bedo1783

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
I've always used the Samsung keyboard on all my Samsung phones with no problem but ever since the nougat update on my s7 edge and now the s8+ the keyboard has been horrible to type on. It never seems to get my swipes right. My girlfriend's s6 just got the nougat update and now she hates her keyboard too. I tried swift key and really didn't like it at all. I also tried gboard and actually really liked it but for some reason when I'm in alot of apps or in the web browser it doesn't show the predicted words above the keyboard. I can't figure out how to get it to work. Anyone else have that problem with gboard? Also what is this gif feature in messages that everyone keeps talking about?

billsterjito

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I know what you mean.
Someone call me when another keyboard incorporates flicking words up from the next letter and back swipe to delete entire words...

Absolutely the best thing ever. I just came from a BB10 phone and tried both Swift key and G board. Neither can replicate these features so I will be sticking with the BlackBerry keyboard.

novasquid

May 5, 2014
Visit site
You can also use word substitution and instead of punching out a long work, put in a short cut and out comes the desired word.
It word substitution also works with other languages.

I've been looking for this feature! so you can program a letter to spit out a programmed word? this is the BlackBerry keyboard?

Edit: looks like it's not any different than how the Samsung keyboard has word substitution. Was looking for a keyboard shortcut that does word insertion. My Samsung s5 keyboard has it so it even works in password fields or even in chrome's url field.

Last edited:

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking for this feature! so you can program a letter to spit out a programmed word? this is the BlackBerry keyboard?

It's a word substitution thing. Gboard does it as well, but nowhere near as smoothly as the BlackBerry keyboard, IMHO. (But opinions vary.). You may want to check it out.

I have whole paragraphs tied to a 3 or 4 letter shortcut. I've found that 3 to 4 letter shortcuts are the sweet spot. More than that are difficult to remember. Shorter ones can be tripped by accident.

novasquid

May 5, 2014
Visit site
It's a word substitution thing. Gboard does it as well, but nowhere near as smoothly as the BlackBerry keyboard, IMHO. (But opinions vary.). You may want to check it out.

I have whole paragraphs tied to a 3 or 4 letter shortcut. I've found that 3 to 4 letter shortcuts are the sweet spot. More than that are difficult to remember. Shorter ones can be tripped by accident.
Yeah I see that now, not exactly what I was looking for. Any ideas of another keyboard that actually types out the replacement text, so it will work in passwords fields on forms?

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I see that now, not exactly what I was looking for. Any ideas of another keyboard that actually types out the replacement text, so it will work in passwords fields on forms?

The BlackBerry keyboard works in most password fields (that allow pasting a value) -- but you have to backspace out the trailing space.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463