Is your Bixby Button remapping?

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Well that was short lived. I was holding off on accepting the update to see if it would affect this. I must have accepted the update while under the influence last night. Argh! Lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to envoke Bixby other than the hard button?

If you use TouchWiz, swiping from left to right on your Homescreen would bring up Bixby. If you are using a third party launcher, you can set up an 'Activity' shortcut (if your launcher supports it, and I think most, if not all, do) to launch Bixby.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If you use TouchWiz, swiping from left to right on your Homescreen would bring up Bixby. If you are using a third party launcher, you can set up an 'Activity' shortcut (if your launcher supports it, and I think most, if not all, do) to launch Bixby.

hmmm. on a touchwiz screen swipe from left does nothing. But I can set an action from Nova, but it just crashes when launched with bx actions intercepting the button enabled. Anyway this could all be mot after the updates unless Samsung wants to be nice.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well that was short lived. I was holding off on accepting the update to see if it would affect this. I must have accepted the update while under the influence last night. Argh! Lol

Maybe you can use Odin to rollback your S8 to before the update was installed. You'll need the ROM.

Of course thats if you want your configurable Side button back. I would. I think it's a really cool feature!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So just found this out. The update made it so you have to double tap the button to open it. Bixby still works.

Is that also for TouchWiz? I thought people having this 'issue' were using a 3rd party launcher (Nova is the only one I've seen on the posts though). And only for T-Mobile.

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Your right. I tested it out on my (TMo) phone.

TouchWiz. One press (lock screen and on).
Nova. Double tap (lock screen and on).

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the Tmobile variant s8+ and I have my Bixby button remapped to a Mute toggle via an app called BixbyRemap.

All the Bixby remap apps words but this is the only one that offered a Mute toggle option (that I could immediately see).

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I wouldn't block updates just to avoid the remap fix... there are a lot more benefits in getting updates fixing bugs, updating apps and keeping your phone secure. 7.1 will be pushed out eventually and you want to miss that for a dumb button remap? Devs will eventually find another way to remap.

Remapping is nice, but if Sprint gets an update that disables it I won't be mad. I just wish Bixby was fully functional.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I wouldn't block updates just to avoid the remap fix... there are a lot more benefits in getting updates fixing bugs, updating apps and keeping your phone secure. 7.1 will be pushed out eventually and you want to miss that for a dumb button remap? Devs will eventually find another way to remap.

I have never owned a phone where the costs didn't outweigh the benefits of "updates". The costs have always been greater than the benefits. From glitches, worse battery life, disabling of features, uglier layout updates have ALWAYS been bad in my book. A phone will never be better than when it came out of the box. F@#k updates. I dont want to downgrade my phone. People get obsessive about updates and think they are the holy grail but I despise them with a passion. I will always use a disabler in the future ever since I used it on my Note 7.

Here are a few examples:

Upgrade from 4.4 to 5...Orange messages and white notifications from a nice black notification area and decent blue messages.

Note 7 getting killed

S8 losing remapping capabilities.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have never owned a phone where the costs didn't outweigh the benefits of "updates". The costs have always been greater than the benefits. From glitches, worse battery life, disabling of features, uglier layout updates have ALWAYS been bad in my book. A phone will never be better than when it came out of the box. F@#k updates. I dont want to downgrade my phone. People get obsessive about updates and think they are the holy grail but I despise them with a passion. I will always use a disabler in the future ever since I used it on my Note 7.

Here are a few examples:

Upgrade from 4.4 to 5...Orange messages and white notifications from a nice black notification area and decent blue messages.

Note 7 getting killed

You're kidding right??? They killed the Note 7 so people wouldn't get hurt. Also the update on the T-Mobile S8 clears up the problem with the face recognition

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Here are a few examples:

Note 7 getting killed

You, Sir, speak my language. This is why I still run Windows 7, never buy into the "Improves Performance, Increases Battery Life, Security Update" bs. Not once have I ever worried about "Security".

Granted, some 3rd party apps in the Play Store list additional features, bug fixes for updates, but those arrogant weekly Facebook updates "Increases Performance, Bug Fixes"? No. Not on my watch!

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
You're kidding right??? They killed the Note 7 so people wouldn't get hurt. Also the update on the T-Mobile S8 clears up the problem with the face recognition

Not once did anyone EVER "get hurt" with the Note 7.
Some of us still use TRUSTY 4-digit PIN over "volunteer your biometric data and let us scan your IRIS because your life depends on some hacker breaking into your phone and stealing your life savings, because as Maybellene says, you're worth it"
Wake up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam