S8+ Gmail Sync Issue! Doesn't sync nor give notifications on a timely basis

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
@Techno-guy:

hi there and thanks so much for giving your advice on how to remove gmail from "power saving".

however, gmail does NOT appear on the list on the bottom of that screen (unmonitored apps) so i am unable to choose it in order to tell it to NEVER put it to sleep.

may i ask you to please kindly see if there is another way to get to getting this done please?

thank you in advance.

much appreciated.

btw, the power savings issue might not be the issue here, as when i send emails from my desktop PC to myself, even when i've just used gmail on my phone (so gmail cannot possibly be put to sleep yet), often, the emails are still delayed substantially.

It's related to that but the above suggestion is more of a Samsung way of doing what Android does native via Doze, for this go to your Battery Usage screen and hit the 3 dots at the top right (menu) and select optimize battery usage, in there change the drop down to All Apps and find Gmail (and any other app you may think you'll need doing the same) and turn it off from there.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It's related to that but the above suggestion is more of a Samsung way of doing what Android does native via Doze, for this go to your Battery Usage screen and hit the 3 dots at the top right (menu) and select optimize battery usage, in there change the drop down to All Apps and find Gmail (and any other app you may think you'll need doing the same) and turn it off from there.
@erasat:

thanks for your additional information.

however, i was unable to get to the items you mentioned.

Reason: the 3 dots on the top right (menu) does NOT give me a selection option called "Optimize Battery Usage". nonetheless, i did find a list of apps that are optimized but Gmail is NOT there at all!! Gmail does not show up in ANY of the battery optimization lists, whether the list is for "turning that particular app on" or "off".

May I ask if this might be a difference between the different carriers' versions of the Samsung software?

I have no idea where Gmail is vis-a-vis battery optimization options!

Thanks in advance for your patience in trying to help me/us.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
@erasat:

thanks for your additional information.

however, i was unable to get to the items you mentioned.

Reason: the 3 dots on the top right (menu) does NOT give me a selection option called "Optimize Battery Usage". nonetheless, i did find a list of apps that are optimized but Gmail is NOT there at all!! Gmail does not show up in ANY of the battery optimization lists, whether the list is for "turning that particular app on" or "off".

May I ask if this might be a difference between the different carriers' versions of the Samsung software?

I have no idea where Gmail is vis-a-vis battery optimization options!

Thanks in advance for your patience in trying to help me/us.

Post a screenshot of what you are seeing in that Battery Usage screen and its menu so we can try to help you.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Post a screenshot of what you are seeing in that Battery Usage screen and its menu so we can try to help you.
@erasat: thanks for your continued patience with my issue and your expertise.

This is the only page that appears after clicking on the "3 dots Menu" (on the upper right) when looking at the Battery page:

2017-05-02 02.35.14.jpg

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
@Techno-guy:

hi there and thanks so much for giving your advice on how to remove gmail from "power saving".

however, gmail does NOT appear on the list on the bottom of that screen (unmonitored apps) so i am unable to choose it in order to tell it to NEVER put it to sleep.

may i ask you to please kindly see if there is another way to get to getting this done please?

thank you in advance.

much appreciated.

btw, the power savings issue might not be the issue here, as when i send emails from my desktop PC to myself, even when i've just used gmail on my phone (so gmail cannot possibly be put to sleep yet), often, the emails are still delayed substantially.

Click "Add Apps" at the bottom of the Unmonitored Apps section in Power Saving Mode so you can add Gmail to the unmonitored Apps. Let us know if that works!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
@erasat: thanks for your continued patience with my issue and your expertise.

This is the only page that appears after clicking on the "3 dots Menu" (on the upper right) when looking at the Battery page:

View attachment 258867

That's the advanced settings but when you are in the Main battery screen, when you enter to that page you should see the Estimated battery life info, right below it, you should see "Battery usage" when you click on it it will take you to the page we want you to be, in there, the 3 dots will give you 2 options, refresh and Optimize battery usage, select that and change to All Apps on the drop down menu and you will find all the Apps that are being optimized right now, just turn off the Gmail app and any other you may need to do the same.

malloy045

May 19, 2017
Visit site
That's the advanced settings but when you are in the Main battery screen, when you enter to that page you should see the Estimated battery life info, right below it, you should see "Battery usage" when you click on it it will take you to the page we want you to be, in there, the 3 dots will give you 2 options, refresh and Optimize battery usage, select that and change to All Apps on the drop down menu and you will find all the Apps that are being optimized right now, just turn off the Gmail app and any other you may need to do the same.

After trying everything under the sun this finally worked for me. Thanks!!!!!!!!

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Thank You.

GaWd

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Click "Add Apps" at the bottom of the Unmonitored Apps section in Power Saving Mode so you can add Gmail to the unmonitored Apps. Let us know if that works!

No, that doesn't work for me, either.

gmail does not appear as a battry-optimized app on my Sprint S8.

gmail does not appear on the list of 'sleeping apps'

gmail does not appear to be addable using the 'Unmonitored Apps' dialogue, either.

I do suspect that this is a power-saving issue. Twitter had the same issues: I could make changes/likes/comments on my phone and then not see those updates pushed when sitting at my desk. I just can't find any rational way to exempt gmail from powersaving??

timsjpark

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site

This is the ONLY thing that worked for me. Thank you!

hqr38

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
I have the same exact problem ever since I got my Samsung galaxy s8 several months ago.
Also, I have noticed every time my phone battery goes below 25%, I'll get sporadic notifications for my email, then all notifications start coming when I charge it.
I have my personal and my work email on this phone so I really need my emails to sync especially the work one.

Anyway, after reading this post just an hour ago, I played around with my settings again. And I think this time maybe I GOT IT! Please see steps below:
1- Make sure that the Gmail app notification setting is set to priority
2- Then go to "Notifications", look for Gmail app
3-Click on app, you'll see the permissions. Beside the icon is the "i", click on that
4- It will take you to all your gmail accounts you set up
5- Click on one, you'll see all the settings. Make sure the Notifications is checked
6- Below that, you'll see "Inbox sound & vibrate", click that
7- When I opened mine, the "Notify for every message" was unchecked. I just checked mine.
Do this for each account.

That's it. I exited the settings then I sent both emails several messages and I got notified for each one!

Please note, my phone is the S8. I'm not sure how it is on other mobile devices.

Good luck!

Iggy82

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Thank you so much, this problem was driving me insane! Gmail sync is now working perfectly since following your post above. It's like a hidden menu!

Ahmed Owian

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
This is the phone being too aggressive with power saving. I had the same issue with the Blackberry Hub and fixed it.

Go to Settings and search for "Power Saving Mode" (it's also Device Maintenance>Battery>Power Saving Mode).

Go to the bottom of the screen and select "Unmonitored Apps" and go to the bottom again and select "Add Apps". You can then add Gmail so it's not being powered down resulting in delayed notifications coming in.

Hope that fixes it for you! Fixed the Blackberry Hub delayed notification issue for me!

Thank you!!! That fixed my problem. I was unable to sync contacts due to this issue. I stopped the Power Saving Mode, and problem solved.