Light bleed on my midnight black s8 plus

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all! Unfortunately I've noticed some bad light bleeding on the top of the phone just above front facing camera. It's only noticeable at night in the dark ,but it looks bad. Anyone else a see this yet ? I have a case on my phone now so it's covered up, but my brain is not letting me forget it !

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing. Just picked mine up today. Also, when I unboxed the device there was a white glue sticky substance leaking from the seam of the phone on the back. Taking mine back later today. Bummer.

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Brought mine back to Verizon last night. Just happens that the Samsung Rep was at the store I visited. He compared my phone with 2 others. All of them had the light bleed over the camera and the iris sensors. However, since mine had some of the glue pulling out of the seams, they swapped it out. This one, interestingly enough, does not have any light bleed over the front facing camera area. The rep did submit a report to Samsung and did seem a little surprised that there was enough space for light to leak through since the phone is supposed to be water resistant.

Mike12421

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking everywhere for someone with the same problem.

I have just received my S8+ direct from Samsung in the UK and I have light bleeding above the front camera (about 1cm long) and another on the right above the power button (about 3cm long).

Going to give it a few days before I contact Samsung as I want them to have a replacement S8+ in stock before I take mine in.

No sign of any glue on my phone though.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I really don't want to give up my phone! I've been through the Note 7 debacle twice, and have waited for this bad boy for too long. Unless someone will tell me this will affect the over all structure, I'll just deal.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Alright. I just tested this. I'm personally convinced it's fine and just how it's designed. I looked at the teardown photos from ifixit. The front camera has a clear view to display from inside. Nothing in between to block light. If I tilt screen down and peek under camera I can see part of screen. According to those teardown pics this is expected. Now, in a dark room a cranked brightness and put on white screen. Yes, I see light bleed above that area. But the bleed seems to just be the bright light shining THROUGH the glass, not around it or a missing seal. But through the glass itself and out the sides of the glass. This seems consistent with those teardown pics as there is empty space around that camera and screen. Allowing light to come up from there and reflect on that top glass panel. My phone is an orchid grey S8+ on T-Mobile. Far as I can tell it's not a defect per se, just a design oversight.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Alright. I just tested this. I'm personally convinced it's fine and just how it's designed. I looked at the teardown photos from ifixit. The front camera has a clear view to display from inside. Nothing in between to block light. If I tilt screen down and peek under camera I can see part of screen. According to those teardown pics this is expected. Now, in a dark room a cranked brightness and put on white screen. Yes, I see light bleed above that area. But the bleed seems to just be the bright light shining THROUGH the glass, not around it or a missing seal. But through the glass itself and out the sides of the glass. This seems consistent with those teardown pics as there is empty space around that camera and screen. Allowing light to come up from there and reflect on that top glass panel. My phone is an orchid grey S8+ on T-Mobile. Far as I can tell it's not a defect per se, just a design oversight.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one. Seems wide spread. No i have no intention of returning it.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I think this affects all of them. If it's a defect, it's all of them and your new one will be the same. Unless I hear otherwise, I don't think it's a defect and just a design oversight .