How is the external speaker?

jehugo

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone that has their s8 already comment on how the external speaker is? Is it any better than the s7's?

It's definitely better than the s7, to my ears. I was quite impressed. The AKG headset is pretty nice too. Very neutral frequency response.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys, but I think it sounds terrible! Thankfully it doesn't bother me that much , low expectations for phone speakers. The only time it bothers me is when someone insists on using their speaker during a phone call, so we can all hear. Hate those people.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Surprisingly, mine sounds great for a single speaker on the bottom.
Pandora is loud and clear even when not at full volume.
I give it 2 thumbs up.

Mav. :cool:

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys, but I think it sounds terrible! Thankfully it doesn't bother me that much , low expectations for phone speakers. The only time it bothers me is when someone insists on using their speaker during a phone call, so we can all hear. Hate those people.

As compared to what? Lol.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
It sounds good to me. But volume level is soft compared to what im used too. When watching youtube or netflix videos on the phone I find I'm normally maxing out the volume. On my V10's external speaker I normally never went past 75%

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
It sounds good to me. But volume level is soft compared to what im used too. When watching youtube or netflix videos on the phone I find I'm normally maxing out the volume. On my V10's external speaker I normally never went past 75%

You really would have thought the S7 and S7 edge were very quiet then!

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've never messed with the S7 series. But the V10 has one of the louder external speakers I've owned. And my wife's V20 is even better. This phone is a little lacking in comparison but it's still ok. More importantly it's clear though.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like alot of mixed reviews. I listen to music on my s7 edge in the mornings at work and was hoping it was at least a little louder.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
4-5 yr old phone speakers produced more bass

I would agree. I recently powered up my Evo 4G (original model). Speaker does produce more bass, comparatively speaking. It's also fairly loud but not nearly as clear and defined as newer phones. I suppose thats a trade off. I'll take clarity over bass anyday. Not like any phone speaker really pumps anyway.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't listen to music without headphones but my notifications are custom and sounded really nice in the Note 3. They sounded tinny in the Note 7 and in my V20. I played some stock notifications in S8+ at BB and they also sounded tinny. I just hate that sound. It's like. fingernails onna chalkboard. The older phones were thicker and had bezels so the speaker could resonate and sounded much nicer to me. Not unclear. Just richer. I'm not. knocking Samsung because I haven't heard any better in any brand since they started making them the thickness of a pocket comb.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard any better in any brand since they started making them the thickness of a pocket comb.
you're excluding the iphone in that statement correct? because no Android phone has anything on the sound the iphone puts out, and that's not easy for me say, because I am in no way, shape or form an Apple fan.........

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
you're excluding the iphone in that statement correct? because no Android phone has anything on the sound the iphone puts out, and that's not easy for me say, because I am in no way, shape or form an Apple fan.........
I never carried an iPhone so although my wife has one her notifications just sound like bells so I never noticed. God knows the iphone and Pixel have huge bezels. If people don't demand decent sound we'll never get it. HTC used to make some really nice sounding phones. I think some had stereo speakers. IMO one good speaker is better than 2 tinny ones though. One of these companies should consult with Bose.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
HTC One M7 had stereo front facing speakers. Loud, clear and surprising bass. By far best onboard speakers I've ever heard. I miss those speakers...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Can you even make custom notifications sounds for the iPhone?

I must confess I just don't even check HTC phones now.