When you get the s8... do yourself a favor!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Go to developer options, and change the transition animation scales (all of them) to .5x instead of 1x.

You'll be happy you did, and the 835 handles it handsomely.

Also, you're welcome! :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be a 'default' tip for very new Samsung phone. I honestly can't tell the difference anymore, but that's just me. (I mean, I notice the faster animation, but to me that's not necessarily a good thing...especially if it doesn't come with a noticeable improvement in performance)

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The new processor handles it well!

I generally didn't bother doing it since it would really be any faster but it is with this one.

jmbburg26

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's the amount of time it takes to complete an animation. For example, if your animation takes 1 second (1x) to complete, setting it at .5x will make the animation take .5 seconds. It cuts the time in half to complete the animation and thus makes it faster.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not necessary unless you think the animations slow down your device. If you have a nano second to spare and don't mind the animations, then it's not necessary. It's all personal taste.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
why would this not be set up this way when you get your phone new? is there a reason Samsung defaults to 1x?

In general, software designers, whether they be from Samsung, Google, Apple, ... will set default animations speeds that give the overall best user experience to the largest number of users. They want the most people who try the phones in stores to have the best possible impression, so they will buy them. For some users, animation speed is important, but I suspect the manufacturers think smoothness and consistency are at least as important for more users. I personally don't see the point to speeding up the animations faster than the default 1x. Even though this phone is pretty fast, even at 1x, the animations often outrun the display of content, especially when an app needs to reload.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I hate the transitions and the first thing I do is set them all to zero. It seems lightning fast when I do that.