Does the samsung s8 fit in last years Samsung gear vr?

Glenn9732

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
The S8 & S8+ absolutely will NOT work with the 2016 Gear VR UNLESS for some reason the goggles came with the "C" type connector! You can't put a square peg into a round hole(snuggly)! This is why people are breaking phones. I purchased the 2016 VR's with my S7. Worked great! Upgraded to the S8 & because of the "C" type connector it won't fit! I bought the "GH98-40350A" C-type adapter but can't connect it! It seems that wires need to be cut & soldered on. I'm looking for a video if anyone knows of such a video please let me know. Samsung support says it's not compatible. But I don't put much faith in their knowledge! If your VR's came with both adaptors consider yourself lucky. Don't waste the $ like I did on the "C" type until YouTube has a video on it! Good luck all!

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The S8 & S8+ absolutely will NOT work with the 2016 Gear VR UNLESS for some reason the goggles came with the "C" type connector! You can't put a square peg into a round hole(snuggly)! This is why people are breaking phones. I purchased the 2016 VR's with my S7. Worked great! Upgraded to the S8 & because of the "C" type connector it won't fit! I bought the "GH98-40350A" C-type adapter but can't connect it! It seems that wires need to be cut & soldered on. I'm looking for a video if anyone knows of such a video please let me know. Samsung support says it's not compatible. But I don't put much faith in their knowledge! If your VR's came with both adaptors consider yourself lucky. Don't waste the $ like I did on the "C" type until YouTube has a video on it! Good luck all!
Not sure what you mean by it doesn't fit in the 2016 Gear VR. I have one and use it with the S8+ and 2017 USB C Gear VR adapter just fine. Check my picture above.

danees8

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Ok guys, This past month november 17, I bought 2 of them because we have 2 Samsung S8 in our family. I thought it is perfect to have 2 so that 2 of the children can play with each other.

Both boxes are complelety identical in writing and dimensions however
Box 1 has NO sticker.
Box 2 has a little sticker that shows the adapters we have all seen here attached.
I opened box 2 and it has 2 adapters. The S8 does fit once you figure out the ends move to close in on the phone as arms.

Box 1 does NOT have 2 adapters and ONLY has the micro USB. NO USB TYPE C.

I cannot get the phone to work with the S8 for the controls in the head set. I am not sure if it is broken. But if I put a VR program on that is not dependent on the controls, it works fine.

I think Samsung was manufacturing the SM R232 with the micro USB then changed in mid production to have both micro USB and Type C USB.

I think that is the mystery. Ok i hope that helps and I hope I can figure out how to get the glasses and phone to link up for the side glass controls.

Not sure what you mean by it doesn't fit in the 2016 Gear VR. I have one and use it with the S8+ and 2017 USB C Gear VR adapter just fine. Check my picture above.

Attachments

• 2017 11 30 samsung vr.jpg
    2017 11 30 samsung vr.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 10

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I think Samsung was manufacturing the SM R232 with the micro USB then changed in mid production to have both micro USB and Type C USB.
That is because Samsung used the same model for both the Note 7 (USB C) and the S7 series (Micro USB)...doesn't look like they changed their mind. The one's received with Note 7 and after its released included both the adapters in the box.

ellsieeeee

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Sorry do I need the 2016 USB C adaptor or the deeper 2017 USB C adapter for the S8 (non plus version)? I have the 2016 Gear VR.

MINE DOES THAT TOO!! I dont wanna shove the phone on the old adapter because i dont wanna break it. But the 2016 doesnt have an adapter. so what's next:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke