04-28-2017 11:09 AM
66 123
tools
    Honestly, I agree. If it were me and I had the tint, I'd get it exchanged. To me, it's a defect no matter how light the red tint and if I'm going to pay $750-$850, I want a phone with a color accurate screen where if I see a white screen, know what a white screen looks like, I don't want to fool myself and see a red tinted screen and say it's white and it's color accurate. Honestly I want it color accurate with default settings.

It shouldn't be a discussion but is because Samsung says it's not a defect and they are coming out with a software upgrade to fix... and then if it doesn't fix they say to return/exchange it. That's the discussion... to believe and wait or return/exchange.

Hopefully they come out with the patch and see what it does and see how many screens get corrected from it.

My goodness. If you have this issue, return it. This shouldn't even be a discussion. When you return it, ask to see a manager. Show them the issue and then boot up your new device (right there at the store) to make sure it doesn't have the issue.
    04-26-2017 08:20 PM
    I still am not sure what I should be looking for for this. Every side by side pic I've seen I can't really see any difference. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
    04-26-2017 09:20 PM
    If you look at the phone straight on you can see a slight pinkish cast on the curved edges. I think it's the nature of AMOLED having a pinkish cast when viewed from an angle. The edges are going to be at an angle from a straight on view. If you look at it fun the side, the edge you're looking at Aunt have the pinkish cast, but the main part will.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    04-26-2017 09:42 PM
    Exactly right. The edges are being viewed at an angle from front. So tint till be slightly off. That's normal. Rotate your phone and view the edges head on. Tint gone. It's just the normal effect of viewing the panel from an off axis angle. Be glad it's an amoled screen and not LCD. LCD would look even worse from that angle.
    04-26-2017 09:50 PM
    My screen looks different along the edges if you're looking straight at it. It has a slight glow, maybe a little pink but it's obviously the curved glass. If you tilt the phone to the left or right it goes away. It's an optical illusion. I hope this isn't the pink tint issue everyone is so upset about.
    sloan31 likes this.
    04-26-2017 10:04 PM
    Mine has the pink hue issue only on the top edge. The other edges look ok. They have the viewing- angle dependent pink 'glow' that all curved displays have, but the top edge is distinctly pink and no reduction of red will fix this. I've already shown it to a store employee and they're going to replace it. But right now, they don't have any phones so they're letting me keep mine until they get another one in. Not using it, though, as they won't take it back if it's scratched or otherwise broken. They've made a copy of the contract and put it in the system so the return period (which is only seven days here) is still intact, even if the replacement comes in later.

I can only suggest to anyone whose phone has the issue to get to where you bought it and register it for replacement. The software fix Samsung is promising will only help if your entire screen is uniformly pink.
    04-26-2017 11:24 PM
    Mine has the pink hue issue only on the top edge. The other edges look ok. They have the viewing- angle dependent pink 'glow' that all curved displays have, but the top edge is distinctly pink and no reduction of red will fix this. I've already shown it to a store employee and they're going to replace it. But right now, they don't have any phones so they're letting me keep mine until they get another one in. Not using it, though, as they won't take it back if it's scratched or otherwise broken. They've made a copy of the contract and put it in the system so the return period (which is only seven days here) is still intact, even if the replacement comes in later.

I can only suggest to anyone whose phone has the issue to get to where you bought it and register it for replacement. The software fix Samsung is promising will only help if your entire screen is uniformly pink.
    That's exactly why I have a replacement inbound. The pink tint at the top that can't be corrected with any adjustments to the red. I get that off axis viewing causes the display to turn pinkish, but my status bar is pink at any angle. My entire display is super red unless I crank the red all the way down, but that doesn't change the pink status bar.
    zipro likes this.
    04-26-2017 11:35 PM
    The fact that this red screen affects different screens in different ways would suggest that it is a hardware problem. As much as I love this phone I'm not prepared to compromise on a critical component such as the screen, after all I've paid close to £800 for this device so it should be free of any defects. Samsung doesn't seem to be in a rush to issue the 'fix' either.
    bandofbrothers2112 likes this.
    04-26-2017 11:43 PM
    I think it is.
    04-27-2017 12:18 AM
    My screen looks different along the edges if you're looking straight at it. It has a slight glow, maybe a little pink but it's obviously the curved glass. If you tilt the phone to the left or right it goes away. It's an optical illusion. I hope this isn't the pink tint issue everyone is so upset about.
    I think it is.
    04-27-2017 12:20 AM
    For those who have exchanged their new S8 at a carrier store, do you get any grief or push back? Did you have the store open multiple new devices until you got an acceptable one? I'm just curious about the customer support with this issue.
    04-27-2017 05:17 AM
    My S7 Edge doesn't have a noticeable pink hue on the edges where the glass is curved.
    04-27-2017 06:01 AM
    My S7 Edge doesn't have a noticeable pink hue on the edges where the glass is curved.
    AND it's a bigger curve. Mine didn't either.
    jtcannonball likes this.
    04-27-2017 06:31 AM
    I didn't have this on my s7 edge either.

I've been looking at several shops demo models in my city center and it looks to me its the + models that seem more affected.

When I pick up my s8 model tomorrow I'll fire it up in the shop and primarily look for this. I do use Dark Themes so I wouldn't see it whilst navigating the settings but would see it whilst surfing I expect. That's of course if it's present. Hoping not.
    04-27-2017 08:28 AM
    04-27-2017 12:36 PM
    If you look at the phone straight on you can see a slight pinkish cast on the curved edges. I think it's the nature of AMOLED having a pinkish cast when viewed from an angle. The edges are going to be at an angle from a straight on view. If you look at it fun the side, the edge you're looking at Aunt have the pinkish cast, but the main part will.
    I've had three S8's over the last week. Two had defective panels with pink halo around the edge of the screen and significant color shift. Only one had a perfect screen with no color shift. These problems are mfg defects and should not be tolerated.
    zoomis and Ca_lvn like this.
    04-27-2017 01:01 PM
    I've had three S8's over the last week. Two had defective panels with pink halo around the edge of the screen and significant color shift. Only one had a perfect screen with no color shift. These problems are mfg defects and should not be tolerated.
    Did you go with another phone or same model...I'm wondering what would be comparable to this
    04-27-2017 01:02 PM
    This is not a software problem. Half of the S8 panels appear to be defective and the other half are normal. I'm sure Samsung wishes this were just a software problem. Another example of poor QC from Samsung.
    04-27-2017 01:05 PM
    I have pronounced tint on the top, left, and right edges. The bottom is slight, but barely noticeable. It comes in about 1/8" from the left and right edges and 1/16th from the top. The hue on the left is deeper than the top and right.

Best Buy told me it's not defective, so I'm waiting on the software update to show that doesn't resolve it, walk through the issue with Samsung technical support, and hope they can send an email to me suggesting I exchange it. If the Best Buy I bought it from doesn't accept it, what other options do I have? Take it to another one and try to convince them to exchange it?
    04-27-2017 01:49 PM
    I have pronounced tint on the top, left, and right edges. The bottom is slight, but barely noticeable. It comes in about 1/8" from the left and right edges and 1/16th from the top. The hue on the left is deeper than the top and right.

Best Buy told me it's not defective, so I'm waiting on the software update to show that doesn't resolve it, walk through the issue with Samsung technical support, and hope they can send an email to me suggesting I exchange it. If the Best Buy I bought it from doesn't accept it, what other options do I have? Take it to another one and try to convince them to exchange it?
    that's bs. take it back to them and demand a replacement. they will say anything to get away with it
    04-27-2017 02:09 PM
    How can they not exchange it? Tell them the tint is not satisfactory and that you want an exchange. You just bought the phone so well within your right to return it so if they don't then return it and go somewhere else. Or go to another BB and just immediately tell them the phone has a tint that's not acceptable and want an exchange and return it for refund if they won't.

Stopping by carrier to see if any updated machines by not yet. Took a screenshot of S+... maybe you can see in center ever so faint... screen burn in already starting. :/
    Attached Thumbnails Red tint on edges S8+-img_4412.jpg  
    04-27-2017 05:27 PM
    Traded it in. The tech had not seen it yet but saw the red right away in my phone. We fired up the new phone and side by side there is a real obvious difference. Glad I did it. New s8+ is great!
    04-27-2017 07:39 PM
    that's bs. take it back to them and demand a replacement. they will say anything to get away with it
    Yes. When you go into the store, tell them what you want. If they give you any blowback, ask for a manager. Tell them you have a defective device, show them the red tint, and tell them you want a replacement ASAP, because you don't have all day and they're opinion doesn't matter. Customer satisfaction does. Sometime they just don't want to do the work, but that's their job.
    04-27-2017 08:04 PM
66 123