Red tint on edges S8+

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It's not. It's a hardware issue... either a defect or just outside of tolerances where they are hoping a sw update is going to widen the amount of red they can pull out and bring back in to tolerance. if they can't convince you it's good enough then you're left with exchanging it. It's all about minimizing the amount or returns and exchanges.

Again, I don't understand how it can be a software problem if only some phones have it. All S8 phones run the same software plus or minus the carrier bloat. So it would stand to reason if it were only a software issue all s8 and s8+ phones would have it or not have it. Mine is getting worse so I'm off to Verizon for an exchange.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
That's what I figured. It's a software issue so why go thru the hassle to return the phone when the one you get might have it too and can simply be a software issue. No biggie.

My thoughts if it's a software issue why is it only on "some" S8/S8+ and not all? This is one of a few reasons/issues I'm having that's making me want to possibly go back to my Pixel or get a G6. Keyword is possibly.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My goodness. If you have this issue, return it. This shouldn't even be a discussion. When you return it, ask to see a manager. Show them the issue and then boot up your new device (right there at the store) to make sure it doesn't have the issue.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I agree. If it were me and I had the tint, I'd get it exchanged. To me, it's a defect no matter how light the red tint and if I'm going to pay $750-$850, I want a phone with a color accurate screen where if I see a white screen, know what a white screen looks like, I don't want to fool myself and see a red tinted screen and say it's white and it's color accurate. Honestly I want it color accurate with default settings.

It shouldn't be a discussion but is because Samsung says it's not a defect and they are coming out with a software upgrade to fix... and then if it doesn't fix they say to return/exchange it. That's the discussion... to believe and wait or return/exchange.

Hopefully they come out with the patch and see what it does and see how many screens get corrected from it.

My goodness. If you have this issue, return it. This shouldn't even be a discussion. When you return it, ask to see a manager. Show them the issue and then boot up your new device (right there at the store) to make sure it doesn't have the issue.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I still am not sure what I should be looking for for this. Every side by side pic I've seen I can't really see any difference. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
If you look at the phone straight on you can see a slight pinkish cast on the curved edges. I think it's the nature of AMOLED having a pinkish cast when viewed from an angle. The edges are going to be at an angle from a straight on view. If you look at it fun the side, the edge you're looking at Aunt have the pinkish cast, but the main part will.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Exactly right. The edges are being viewed at an angle from front. So tint till be slightly off. That's normal. Rotate your phone and view the edges head on. Tint gone. It's just the normal effect of viewing the panel from an off axis angle. Be glad it's an amoled screen and not LCD. LCD would look even worse from that angle.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
My screen looks different along the edges if you're looking straight at it. It has a slight glow, maybe a little pink but it's obviously the curved glass. If you tilt the phone to the left or right it goes away. It's an optical illusion. I hope this isn't the pink tint issue everyone is so upset about.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine has the pink hue issue only on the top edge. The other edges look ok. They have the viewing- angle dependent pink 'glow' that all curved displays have, but the top edge is distinctly pink and no reduction of red will fix this. I've already shown it to a store employee and they're going to replace it. But right now, they don't have any phones so they're letting me keep mine until they get another one in. Not using it, though, as they won't take it back if it's scratched or otherwise broken. They've made a copy of the contract and put it in the system so the return period (which is only seven days here) is still intact, even if the replacement comes in later.

I can only suggest to anyone whose phone has the issue to get to where you bought it and register it for replacement. The software fix Samsung is promising will only help if your entire screen is uniformly pink.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine has the pink hue issue only on the top edge. The other edges look ok. They have the viewing- angle dependent pink 'glow' that all curved displays have, but the top edge is distinctly pink and no reduction of red will fix this. I've already shown it to a store employee and they're going to replace it. But right now, they don't have any phones so they're letting me keep mine until they get another one in. Not using it, though, as they won't take it back if it's scratched or otherwise broken. They've made a copy of the contract and put it in the system so the return period (which is only seven days here) is still intact, even if the replacement comes in later.

I can only suggest to anyone whose phone has the issue to get to where you bought it and register it for replacement. The software fix Samsung is promising will only help if your entire screen is uniformly pink.

That's exactly why I have a replacement inbound. The pink tint at the top that can't be corrected with any adjustments to the red. I get that off axis viewing causes the display to turn pinkish, but my status bar is pink at any angle. My entire display is super red unless I crank the red all the way down, but that doesn't change the pink status bar.

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The fact that this red screen affects different screens in different ways would suggest that it is a hardware problem. As much as I love this phone I'm not prepared to compromise on a critical component such as the screen, after all I've paid close to £800 for this device so it should be free of any defects. Samsung doesn't seem to be in a rush to issue the 'fix' either.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
My screen looks different along the edges if you're looking straight at it. It has a slight glow, maybe a little pink but it's obviously the curved glass. If you tilt the phone to the left or right it goes away. It's an optical illusion. I hope this isn't the pink tint issue everyone is so upset about.

I think it is.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
For those who have exchanged their new S8 at a carrier store, do you get any grief or push back? Did you have the store open multiple new devices until you got an acceptable one? I'm just curious about the customer support with this issue.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

My S7 Edge doesn't have a noticeable pink hue on the edges where the glass is curved.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I didn't have this on my s7 edge either.

I've been looking at several shops demo models in my city center and it looks to me its the + models that seem more affected.

When I pick up my s8 model tomorrow I'll fire it up in the shop and primarily look for this. I do use Dark Themes so I wouldn't see it whilst navigating the settings but would see it whilst surfing I expect. That's of course if it's present. Hoping not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781