So you got this awesome new Galaxy S8 or S8+, but hate Bixby…perhaps you have accidental presses of the Bixby button. You hate it with a passion…the solution is simple! Disable it! Oh but wait, Samsung doesn’t let you disable the Bixby app from the app manager. Ugh!

Still no problem! Simply go to the Google Play store and download “Package Disabler Pro”

Once installed, activate as Device Administrator and let it activate the license.

It will take you to the Samsung disclaimer page. Accept it to take you to the main page.

From there, search for “Bixby” (or “bix”) and the Bixby apps come up. Select all the Bixby apps to disable them. The Bixby button will now be disabled and swiping to the right to the Bixby screen when on the home screen will show you an error message.

Alternatively, for those who haven't taken the update (or perhaps on certain carriers), you can remap the Bixby button if desired:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/samsu...e-galaxy-s8s8/
    04-21-2017 10:41 AM
    For those the don't want to pay for the app, you can use the debloater tool to disable the Bixby apps as well. No root required, but you will need a computer.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...bloat-t2998294
    04-25-2017 02:30 PM
    Does this app still work as advertised? I know some of the work arounds stopped working after an update. I have an unlocked S8 and just want to KO Bixby.
    07-04-2017 09:19 AM
    Does this app still work as advertised? I know some of the work arounds stopped working after an update. I have an unlocked S8 and just want to KO Bixby.
    Package Disabler Pro and BK Package Disabler both still work.
    badcat likes this.
    07-04-2017 09:32 AM
    is it safe giving some app admin permission o_O just seems highly invasive for an app
    badcat likes this.
    07-04-2017 11:33 AM
    Package Disabler Pro and BK Package Disabler both still work.
    Thanks. I was hoping that was still the case.
    07-04-2017 01:05 PM
    is it safe giving some app admin permission o_O just seems highly invasive for an app
    Yeah I would like to know this as well. Package Disabler does seem to have a good reputation.
    07-04-2017 01:07 PM
    Nice thread. Found everything I needed to know to disable Bixby. I never set it up but pressing the button accidentally always prompted me to set it up.
    badcat likes this.
    07-14-2017 12:54 AM
    Nice thread. Found everything I needed to know to disable Bixby. I never set it up but pressing the button accidentally always prompted me to set it up.
    So which approach did you take and did you disable anything else besides Bixby? I'm trying to figure out how to kill the Cloud backup as well.
    07-14-2017 05:20 AM
    So which approach did you take and did you disable anything else besides Bixby? I'm trying to figure out how to kill the Cloud backup as well.
    As much as I wanna continue being delusional - I have to speak with my $ - I don't mind Samsung trying to be different - but its the restriction- at the end of the day you wanted to make a sell and you did - let me customize my software/hardware experience as I see fit. Thats it. Selling my N5, and S8 - will miss Samsung Pay though but oh well - done making excuses and dealing with apps I will never use on a device priced way too high - faux pas
    07-14-2017 05:30 AM
    Samsung has a legitimate reason to block Bixby button remapping, whether we like it or not

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/07/14...ike-it-or-not/
    07-14-2017 06:28 AM
    As much as I wanna continue being delusional - I have to speak with my $ - I don't mind Samsung trying to be different - but its the restriction- at the end of the day you wanted to make a sell and you did - let me customize my software/hardware experience as I see fit. Thats it. Selling my N5, and S8 - will miss Samsung Pay though but oh well - done making excuses and dealing with apps I will never use on a device priced way too high - faux pas
    I agree the restriction is a bit frustrating. I don't really care to use Bixby or Google now for that matter, but to each, their own. But it would be nice to turn off what you don't want/need. I'm having a bigger struggle with Samsung Cloud at the moment. No matter what I do all the options are greyed out and therefore unusable.
    07-14-2017 08:44 AM
    Haha yup! That's exactly what I did within a few hours on my S8. I couldn't stand that Bixby button at all! Sure, I accidentally press it all of the time, but at least now NOTHING happens at all! Makes the S8 experience overall MUCH better!
    07-14-2017 08:48 AM
    I killed that by going to:
    Settings>Clouds and Accounts>Accounts>Samsung Account>My username>Backup Settings> Toggle Auto Backup Off
    badcat likes this.
    07-14-2017 08:57 AM
    Samsung has a legitimate reason to block Bixby button remapping, whether we like it or not

They probably should have polled users to see if Bixby was something they wanted or needed. I bet the results would have saved them tons of money.

Samsung botched Bixby from the get go. They promoted the phone with this feature at the reveal and we are almost 3 months into the device with very few people having access to it. They built a button before finishing the software that button was for. They created the need to remap the button and only have themselves to blame for its failure.
    07-14-2017 09:02 AM
    I killed that by going to:
    Settings>Clouds and Accounts>Accounts>Samsung Account>My username>Backup Settings> Toggle Auto Backup Off
    That's what I was trying to do but everything was greyed out. I finally got it though. I just needed to wait it out and let it calculate the backup.

Thanks though.
    07-14-2017 11:28 AM
    No, all I did was disable Bixby.
    badcat likes this.
    07-14-2017 11:32 AM
    Do you have to enable everything again when an Android Update becomes available? This would be very annoying.
    07-14-2017 01:30 PM
    No, all I did was disable Bixby.
    Thanks!
    07-14-2017 02:27 PM

The problem is, you can't force people to use something they have no interest in, no matter how much you want them to. There should ALWAYS be choice involved.

Personally, I like Bixby and can't wait to use the service daily once it's ready. If I like it, many others will too.

There's no harm in giving the other folks another useful way to use the button. That's why we choose Android, to not feel locked in.
    donm527 likes this.
    07-14-2017 02:57 PM

Those aren't legitimate reasons imo. Apart from Bixby being useless, I keep hitting the button by mistake and it is really annoying me.
    JohnMcL7 likes this.
    07-20-2017 10:45 AM
    Tried Bixby again after voice became available and still can't do it. Already disabled again thru bk package disabler. I kept hitting it by mistake too. Way better being disabled completely
    07-20-2017 10:58 AM
    I've not decided yet what I'm going to do about bixby. Now that it has voice commands I wonder if it's good enough to handle texting by voice if driving or even in general taking voice commands good enough to do that. I've tried it once using bixby voice to look up my S8's market value. At first I liked it bc she was actually reading me an article then a call came through interrupted her and when I went back to do the same search all I got was recommended sites to research and read myself. If I can get bixby to read me certain articles then yes indeed I'll use it but ever since that call I got interrupted my initial use with her reading me off a long paragraph it's yet to do that again. I'll try it out a couple more times before I totally kill it off but I'm highly bothered every time I press the button by mistake then have to press it again to close it back down. That does bite on ones nerves.
    07-20-2017 11:17 AM